Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2005, 06:57 PM

As a new user...............

I found the site very attractive. Once I saw the existance of the PROG Radio stations, I looked around and landed here. As I continue to listen, I'll gladly input. For now..........I'm VERY Impressed. Thanks Rob
Old 09-20-2005, 07:58 PM

Spaz - the internet thing my friends are doing will have this...but I think it's not really appliciable to the Moon. I like to get out the word when I can, but that kind of free advertising is tough.

Yorksrvc - Baltimore, I see. Do I know you?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Quote:
Originally posted by VAXman
Refresh in this manner? Which? It's certainly not server-side push. The WPN window refreshes with a http refresh which is handled by a bit of JavaScript code:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!---
var refreshID = "";
refreshID = setTimeout("DoRefresh()", 90000);

function DoRefresh()
{
var buster = Math.random();
document.location.href = 'playinghtml.php?buster='+buster;
}
//--

</SCRIPT>
Right - by "in this manner" I was referring to your reference to "refreshing periodically"
Old 09-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
This would be a technical nightmare, and something a "pro" site would do - meaning one that was run for a living and not a hobby - but I'd like to see a link in the WPN window that'd take you to the artist's homepage, or allmusic.com page, etc. The nightmare would be that those pages constantly change. Again, don't even try it. It'd just be nice "if."
It did this - when you clicked on the name of the artist, it went to their allmusic page. Then allmusic changed their query format, I left the station for awhile, and the code never got updated. That can be fixed at any time, I believe.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Avian
It did this - when you clicked on the name of the artist, it went to their allmusic page. Then allmusic changed their query format, I left the station for awhile, and the code never got updated. That can be fixed at any time, I believe.
Right, but what I'm saying is that those pages change too often for it to be worth it, right? Could be wrong...
Old 09-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Owner Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
Right, but what I'm saying is that those pages change too often for it to be worth it, right? Could be wrong...
No, they're the same. It's the allmusic page from that website's database. It's not the artist homepage.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:27 PM

Quote:
No, they're the same. It's the allmusic page from that website's database. It's not the artist homepage.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf boy.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Progger since 1966

For our new page...

I will just tell what I think would be logical format changes;
I would like to see a new homepage graphic, More color
The largest Modules are the center stagnant ones, Still posted Dec. last year, This section needs dusting and given less frontpage
Push up shoutbox so that emotioncons and the rest can be used without Scrolling after every shout. more e/cons would be more fun as well
Forums work very well for me "if it ain't broke..." I would welcome a new color, we have been blue a very long time
What's playing now is wonderful, I would like more advance notice of upcoming bands, maybe 4 or 5 artists, If the Playing cut had a countdown timer, that would be sensational
In a past forum, a map depicting Moonie locations was proposed, this would be AWESOME!!
Can't wait
Old 09-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Owner Emeritus

It's starting

We've started the revamping of the website! If you click on the artist name on the What's Playing Now page, you'll go to their allmusic profile page. If there's a similar name, it will ask you to pick the correct artist from a list.

Yay!
Old 09-30-2005, 05:02 AM

how about a box on the frontpage with the last five posts from the forums? might bring a few folks here...
Old 09-30-2005, 09:20 AM

Re: It's starting

Quote:
We've started the revamping of the website! If you click on the artist name on the What's Playing Now page, you'll go to their allmusic profile page. If there's a similar name, it will ask you to pick the correct artist from a list.

Yay!
IT HAS BEGUN! (start Mortal Kombat music)
Old 09-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Owner Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by roger
how about a box on the frontpage with the last five posts from the forums? might bring a few folks here...
Yes, that is planned for the new website.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:53 AM

Perhaps I'll be the only one that is against that idea but I like forums as they are, without posts on main AM website. We have sometimes quite private things here to discuss, some posts taken out of context may seem stupid or even rude. If someone is interested then they will glance at forums. I treat forums as kind of intimate place for our moon family, room that can have door opened but do we have to open all windows (even on Macintosh )?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wojtek
Perhaps I'll be the only one that is against that idea but I like forums as they are, without posts on main AM website. We have sometimes quite private things here to discuss, some posts taken out of context may seem stupid or even rude. If someone is interested then they will glance at forums. I treat forums as kind of intimate place for our moon family, room that can have door opened but do we have to open all windows (even on Macintosh )?
I had sort of the same impression when I read Roger's post. In my mind, it's not the privacy issue (I can be just as rude in the black box!) but the fact that having the actual posts on the main page can be quite cumbersome...unless...it's just the one sentence like "new posts". If you put my show post up for example it would take up the whole page.

If what Roger is suggesting is an easier link to the forums, I'm all for that. Maybe widen the box and have bigger link, plus a description of what the forum is.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:54 PM

Long time no see, all.

As a proprietor of at least three web sites, I know how the urge to change things around is, but damn, I LIKE the way the static background works behind the "framed" content of the main page.

Of course, I'm not here every day to get bored by the same old design.

Many of the other suggestions I thought were very good. I'll just hate to see the old design disappear.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Progger since 1966

No to full Posts on the Front Page...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wojtek
Perhaps I'll be the only one that is against that idea but I like forums as they are, without posts on main AM website. We have sometimes quite private things here to discuss, some posts taken out of context may seem stupid or even rude. )?
Gotta say Woj has it, Sometimes I put alot of content into my posts(i.e. My home Theater Primers) and can't imagine them on the Front page in thier entirety. And then there is our poor excuses for comedy such as my Sarcastic self. Posted out of context would make them poorer.
How about a small portion of the Forums front page on the home page?
Showing the Headings to Groups( i.e. Gen Dis/Prog News) and the most recent poster like you do now on Forums page one. Maybe most recent THREAD headings but thats enough....This I would LIKE!!

Last edited by sharcnorris : 10-01-2005 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:23 AM

I think the only thing that should be on the front page regarding forums is the button that says "Forums." I don't think anyone who wants to get involved has had difficulty finding the forums before.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:24 AM

Refering to sharc's good post I think that latest threads are the maximum of the forums that could be on the main page.
And if I was asked what I'd like most I am with Yesspaz: No changes in that case.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Owner Emeritus

The forums on the main page will just be a short list of the most recent topics posted on, like:

Re: Fripp New Album by Yesspaz
Genesis Reunion? by Avian
Giant Robotic Monkeys by Roger Lee
Re: New Web Site by Rogor Mortis

Then you can click on the link to go to that post, or a link to automatically go to new posts right from the home page.

I think that this will be a great feature for many people.

There are other feature we're working on - I think you guys will really enjoy the new site when it ramps up to its full potential.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:23 PM

I'm sure whatever ya'll do will be great, but I simply open the forums and click "Find New Posts" or whatever it is in the upper right as soon as you load the forum page. That's the same function that the main page links will do, right?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: