Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2003, 08:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Your 3 LEAST favorite Yes Albums

No that we all know what people's favorites are, I thought it would be interesting to know which music by our favorite bands you cannot stand (if any). We'll start with Yes, due to the "Big Generator" controversy going on in a different thread.

Here are my 3:

1. Big Generator
2. Union
3. Open Your Eyes

I don't really know how people feel about Union (I get the feeling most people like it), but I can't stand this album, save one track ("I Would Have Waited Forever"). It's just way too disconnected as a complete album for me.

Let's hear some more!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:05 AM
KeithieW

Thumbs down Yes........NO!!!!

1. Open Your Eyes
2. 9012Live: The Solos
3. Big Generator

I've placed these in the order of which albums I play the least.

OYE? I play once in a blue moon. Mainly in the car when it comes on as a random play.

9012Live:The Solos......really!!! The only track I listen to on this album is 'Changes'. I do play the VHS concert from time to time and that is a much better way to take in the solo efforts. On album they really are a waste of space....sorry guys but did you release it for the "Completist Collectors" (like me) out there?

BG? As I said in the sister thread 'Final eyes', quite beautiful vocals esp. "If ever I needed someone........" and the final few lines "You saved me from falling......." but that's Jon for you. He can make a mediocre song sound wonderful.

I'm waiting for someone to vote for Topographic because I'll have to find their address and pop round to have a word in their "shell like"..............if there's any justice on this Earth this album should poll NO VOTES...........but what do I know?

Nice thread Powerslave!!!!

Old 06-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
From worst to least-worst...

1. Open Your Eyes
2. Union
3. Talk

While I hate Union, there are one or two good tracks in there (I think Lift Me Up was their best pop single since Owner, The More We Live has become kind of a modern "classic" for them.

I actually like Talk a bit - played it to death during a really crazy period in life. But I like BG more than Talk.

Avian
Old 06-26-2003, 08:08 PM

arrgh...

I hate to do this...

I refuse to use the term "worst," so I'll say my least favorites, or at least the ones I listen to the least.

1. 9012Live
This album truly was a joke. I can forgive it because it was simply an attempt to make a little extra scratch while on top of the world.

2. Open Your Eyes
I often here people say crap like, "Ooh, this is not a real Yes album," and such. The only album that I can say gets that treatment is this one. Who do I blame? Wakeman! Sorry all you "Wakies," but after the KEYS tour didn't get going and Wakeman left, all of a sudden Yes found themselves with tourdates and they couldn't play the KEYS material without a keyboardist. SOOOOO, the rushed decision was to take what was to become Squire's second solo project, mostly co-written with Billy Sherwood, tack Steve and Alan and Jon on some overdubs, with the search for a keyboardist yeilding Koreschev's solos on two songs, and BOOM! - you have an album to tour on. It was so rushed they didn't even get album art. Koreschev learned Wakeman's parts fast and they only did two new songs on the tour. Here me: YES DID NOT WRITE THIS ALBUM AS A GROUP!

Ahhh... In saying that, two songs are killer, five or six are pretty good to decent. Only two are truly bad.

2. Big Generator
Not their best effort, and even they admit that.

Still, it's Yes, which means it's better than 99% of the rest of the crap in the music world.

Yesspaz out.

PS. I'm glad that Keith remembered 9012Live. I was literally going to stop at the two studio albums. There's not a third "mediocre" album from Yes, IMNSHO.

PPS. UNION and TALK rule.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:43 PM

All the same

It looks like the same 3-5 vying for the same "distinction". Not as interesting as it started out to be, is it?

So far, the most dissension is whether Talk is better than Union than BG....YAWN.

You say Tomato, I say Tormato....

Fire away, back to the posts after Nearfest....
Old 06-27-2003, 02:53 PM

On Yesworld, I count 19 Yes albums after "90125," and I have very little use for any of them except for the ABWH album and "An Evening of Yes Music Plus," which was basically the ABWH tour recorded live. Plenty of people will defend one or another of them, and I understand that, but I find these albums uniformly limp and uninteresting. It's indisputable that Yes is composed of terrific musicians who haven't lost their talent, but I think they're making fat, lazy music that trades on their glory days. I would venture to say that you could take all 17 of those albums I've dismissed and edit them all down into ONE good CD.

I expect a hail of rocks, vegetables, and fecal missiles to start flying immediately.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:36 PM

There are only two I hate:

1. Tormato
2. Relayer

However, I've not heard "Open Your Eyes." Other Yes albums that strike me as weak but that I don't hate include the first two (pre-Howe) and the ABWH parts of "Union."
Old 06-28-2003, 01:20 PM

I can understand your dislike of both, though I don't agree. Relayer was a major departure from the previous sound -- sort of "Yes on mescaline." Tormato is pleasant enough, and has some powerful tracks, esp. "On the Wings of Silent Freedom," but it's a harbinger of the lazy, lightweight material to come. As for the first two, they're without both Howe and Wakeman, and the others were still figuring out what direction they were going in. As interesting 60s Beatlesque psychedelia, they're fine, but I don't spend much time listening to them.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:48 PM

Lets see:

I don't believe there are worst Yes albums only bad ones, because the word worst implies that most of the albums are bad and the ones we mention are even worst.

The ones I dislike in no order:

90125: I would compare this album to Duke, they tried to do prog' rock in a more commercial format and released a hibrid, not prog', not pop, not defined.

Big Generator: A step further, this one is POP and nothing more.

Union: I had the chance to see Yes for the first time the year 1991 in Miami, I even delayed my return to Lima for three days to have the chance to see my heroes in concert, specially with Wakeman and Bruford playing together, but I only saw two bands playing some unrelated music, there's no cohesion between songs, and really I fiond the music not in the level of Yes.

Iván

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: