Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Station News > Website
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 01:22 AM

AM on WP7

Got Windows Phone 7? Just got mine today. Verizon finally released a WP7 phone after months of rumors...

...only to find that WP7 can't play AM's PLS playlist format natively. Actually, not a huge surprise; WMP can't either. But Internet Radio Tuner, available from the WP Marketplace for $1.50-ish US, works great with the free and patron streams. (For patron stream, type the URL Vaxman posted in the Patron forum.)

Sadly, AM is too often ABM, it seems, but thought the info might be helpful to those who find WP7 is a BRILLIANT product, albeit years overdue.

While on the subject of living with .PLS, in case no one's posted it before, you can listen to AM in Windows Media Player without having to install the bloated, bug-ridden, Winamp. Use http://openplsinwmp.codeplex.com. Yes, it's ugly (opens a command prompt window briefly on the way to opening AM), but it works well.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:07 AM

Re: AM on WP7

Bloated, bug-ridden Winamp? Bah! Me loves me winamp, and it's free of infestation!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:48 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
Got Windows Phone 7? Just got mine today. Verizon finally released a WP7 phone after months of rumors...

...only to find that WP7 can't play AM's PLS playlist format natively. Actually, not a huge surprise; WMP can't either. But Internet Radio Tuner, available from the WP Marketplace for $1.50-ish US, works great with the free and patron streams. (For patron stream, type the URL Vaxman posted in the Patron forum.)
Technically, none of the players "play" the .PLS file. It's a file which defines where the source of the music it describes is located for play. It's a "playlist" file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLS_%28file_format%29

What's truly interesting is that PLS it was foisted upon the public by Micro$oft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
Sadly, AM is too often ABM, it seems, but thought the info might be helpful to those who find WP7 is a BRILLIANT product, albeit years overdue.

While on the subject of living with .PLS, in case no one's posted it before, you can listen to AM in Windows Media Player without having to install the bloated, bug-ridden, Winamp. Use http://openplsinwmp.codeplex.com. Yes, it's ugly (opens a command prompt window briefly on the way to opening AM), but it works well.
I don't know anything about WEENDOZE players but, again, the .PLS file is a flat text file. You can save the file and open it in an editor. The important piece of information is the URL for the stream. .PLS is also a web served file in the case of AM. Do you have an appropriate definition in your browser to help it decide what to do with the .PLS information once it's been retrieved?
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 05-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

As Vax said, the PLS isn't necessary - just the URL listed in the .pls file.

In what ever music player you use, (and there are many phone apps that offer music streaming on both winphone, droid and iphone), you need to have a feature that lets you directly load a url to stream from.

Enter our url listed and viola, you're up and streaming. be sure to bookmark it in your app.

If you are a patron, you should have received a special url for higher quality streaming (which I HIGHLY recommend )

happy listening.

Happiness is a worn pun!