Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 07:47 PM

Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rawdon
I've been reluctant to buy Morse's post-Spock's Beard stuff due to what I understand is substantial Christian content. (A girlfriend once described me as "the least spiritual person she knew".) How are they?
I'm not the most qualified person to comment on Christianity (my wife is deeply into it but I am not), however, I enjoy bands whatever the message. I consider Salem Hill one of the best bands around but some disdain them because of the perceived religious overtones.

They're just words, man.

I couldn't care less what the content is, unless it's stupidly violent.

I've heard the Neal Morse's One and ? are fantastic. I have the Testimony DVD but still haven't seen it! But I'll let others chime in who have heard it...

I'll have to get some soon.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to moses Send a message via Yahoo to moses

Quote:
I've been reluctant to buy Morse's post-Spock's Beard stuff due to what I understand is substantial Christian content. (A girlfriend once described me as "the least spiritual person she knew".) How are they?
It's odd how "substantial Christian content" is more objectionable to some people than "substantial Satanic content" in rock music. Anyhow, I do have Neal's post-Beard output and I think it's very powerful stuff. Yes, the lyrics are quite Christian-oriented, but that doesn't bother me at all (being a Christian and youth pastor myself).

Musically speaking...

Testimony is a double-disc concept album with multiple musical themes weaving in and out through the different songs, which are divided into five parts making one BIG sound. In addition to the "traditional rock band" lineup (mostly played by Neal) there is an orchestra in a number of places and a choir in a few. If you like your prog to be heavy and technical, this one is not for you. It's a bit lighter in sound and feel than the Spock's Beard albums.

One is a single disc follow-up that has more of a Transatlantic-feel than Testimony. Neal lets go of the reigns a bit and collaborates with Randy George and Mike Portnoy (and some guest musicians) and the compositions are more varied as a result. Musically, I like it better than Testimony. It's meatier and the epics are not as forced.

? is amazing. It's really one long song divided into 12 parts. More guest musicians are on this one and the core group (Morse, Portnoy & George) put out a full, energetic performance that is at times sweet and melodic and other full out rocking. Very tasty indeed!

Lead Me Lord is what it is... basically a "live in the studio" worship session. It might have been great in the moment, but the translation to CD is a bit dull. Not prog at all.

God Won't Give Up sounds like a prog band playing praise and worship tunes. The music is energetic and inventive, but it's not really prog. I like it a lot though.

I hope that answers your question... IMHO of course.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:16 PM

It answers MY questions! Thanks, moses a very good review.....
Old 12-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Progger since 1966

I'm playing ONE often, tuning up to open "?" this Christmas (hmmm, another christian overtone). This a Wonderfull CD full of Harmony and Power. I do find myself singing with it and I'm suprised that these phrases are coming out of my mouth. I have a spiritual side but not so Jesuscentric. Yes it is Christian Lyricly but the music is all beard all the time, And After many months still find Morse ,Portnoy and Co. a Must

Last edited by sharcnorris : 12-14-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:59 AM

Lyrics??? What lyrics?!?!? I still can't get past the FANTASTIC musicianship.....
Seriously though, I am blown away by the music. Actually, I find the lyrics pretty spirit lifting, in this otherwise dismal world. I am listening to ? and One at least once a day. Definetely a good investment and addition to my music collection. or
Old 12-15-2005, 08:22 AM

In case of Morse albums' Christian content I don't understand reactions of some reviewers that must mention in their each review how the lyrics disturb them and how it decreases overall value. They aren't treating religion theme like one of any possible concepts, there are plenty of albums inspired by Eastern religions and there is no problem then. In case of Christian albums in their opinion there is. This frustrates me. Especially in case of Neal Morse, whose lyrics aren't preaching. They are intriguing, philosophical stories, not basing on Praise The Lord sung hundreds of times.

Whole story of "modern" Neal Morse starts from Spock's Beard - Snow. This is pure masterpiece, album far better than very good albums Morse recorded later. I like all of them very much (maybe apart from Testimony which is worse version of Snow and has some blank poppy tunes), but guys Snow is a MUST! 21st Century Lamb..
Old 12-15-2005, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
Snow is a MUST! 21st Century Lamb..
Agree 100% with the views on people's feathers ruffled with the content...

however, I'm not big on Snow.

I do like the "Wind" tune that ends it. Uplifting stuff!

Vive Le Difference!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:04 PM

Mossy.......I just received my first of the two Pineapple Thief CD's: variations on a dream. 1st listen tells me, I'm going to love this CD in the truck. Rainy morning drive to work or return drive after a stressful day. Not stressful today, but it's going to be my drive home music for this evening. Can't Wait!!! Thanks for the Recommendation!!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Patron

Happy I could send you their way, yorks.

Variations on a Dream holds a lot of rainy day memories for me....London on a grey rainy day and driving through Zion National Park in Utah on a grey rainy day with the clouds so low we were almost driving through them.

Whenever we do any long distance driving it's the first CD we grab to take with us.

By the way, they're playing at the Rites of Spring Festival on April 30th.

http://www.rosfest.com/index.html

Enjoy!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Progger since 1966

More Morse Mush

Quote:
guys Snow is a MUST! 21st Century Lamb..
I can't wait for the Aural Moon Finest 10 this year, But for family harmonies while driving, Purity of production, visionary melodies with soaring landings
Snow is my favorite CD of this Millennium......................so far

rick, my home burns separate the hard and soft tracks , maybe one or the other is'nt hitting you right, I played it 100's of times before it's retirement

Last edited by sharcnorris : 12-15-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses
It's odd how "substantial Christian content" is more objectionable to some people than "substantial Satanic content" in rock music.
I don't object to it, but music with lyrics coming from a substantially different worldview from mine can obstruct my enjoyment of the whole package.

I do own some Christian music. I enjoy Iona, for instance, and heck, I even own an Amy Grant album! (Lead Me On, if you're curious. It fits right in with Clannad's Sirius, Bruce Hornsby's early stuff, Don Henley's solo work, and other late-80s semi-folky AOR, which I have a bizarre weakness for.)

Morse's compositions had put the lyrics in a much more central position on his last two Spock's Beard albums, so if he continued that trend but went lyrically in a direction I couldn't relate to, I'm not sure I'd enjoy them. But I'll probably give them a try sometime.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Whole story of "modern" Neal Morse starts from Spock's Beard - Snow. This is pure masterpiece, album far better than very good albums Morse recorded later. I like all of them very much (maybe apart from Testimony which is worse version of Snow and has some blank poppy tunes), but guys Snow is a MUST!
Hmm, I like Snow quite a bit, but I have to admit I always think of it as a prog version of The Who's Tommy. It's essentially the same story, with a dose of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land thrown in.

The production values are much higher than Tommy, though!
Old 12-15-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I don't object to it, but music with lyrics coming from a substantially different worldview from mine can obstruct my enjoyment of the whole package.

I do own some Christian music. I enjoy Iona, for instance, and heck, I even own an Amy Grant album! (Lead Me On, if you're curious. It fits right in with Clannad's Sirius, Bruce Hornsby's early stuff, Don Henley's solo work, and other late-80s semi-folky AOR, which I have a bizarre weakness for.)

Morse's compositions had put the lyrics in a much more central position on his last two Spock's Beard albums, so if he continued that trend but went lyrically in a direction I couldn't relate to, I'm not sure I'd enjoy them. But I'll probably give them a try sometime.
I just don't get it, maybe I'm just heartless. When Ozzy sings "Would you like to see the pope at the end of a rope, do you think he's a fool" in Sabbath's "After Forever", he's not advocating anything. He's stating one view. If anything, it's a pro-religion song. I didn't realize this until much later, but it had zero effect on my enjoyment of the song.

When I saw Salem Hill in October and they did "The Future Me", I almost was lifted off the floor. It didn't matter what the words were, they could have said "seven virgins lick my toenails" and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference. I get most lyrics wrong on the first listen anyway.

Sonus Umbra has a 180 degree view on religion than Neal Morse. In fact, "Snakes and Ladders" on Spiritual Vertigo is "dedicated" to him. I like both artists. Personally, I don't care for either view, but I respect it. Mostly I ignore it.

A lot of times I will play a CD like the first Rage Against The Machine or the Smithereens 11. Lyrically, they coulndn't be more polarized. Musically, they both hit me just right.

Although Hornsby played with the Dead (sorry that didn't sound right ) and did a cut with Don Henley, his music is a thousand times more interesting.

I didn't know Iona was Christian music. I thought it was music that had some Christian lyrics in it. Moses played me a cut by the guitarist from Iona when I visited him, I said "this sounds like "Iona" because it was musically similar.

Orphan Project, a local band, is very much into Christianity. But everytime I get a chance I'll see them. They don't expect me at the next service, and I don't expect them to be something they're not. In fact, I think young people like them should be applauded, not pigeon holed.

The reason I personally don't like Snow is because I thought Neal ran out of music ideas within Spock's Beard. There's some Nick stuff that just bores me, and the repetitive musical themes didn't excite me. I mean, what does Ryo's solo have to do with "Wind At My Back"? However, I'm very happy someone like sharc loves it. I do own Snow. Maybe I'll listen to it again.

Oh well I do this when I'm tired. Goodnight.....
Old 12-16-2005, 05:47 AM

Mossy, Right now I'm playing "Variations". I listened to it on the way home last night and was moved. I played it again on the way here this morning and as said, it's playing this second. I was "chilled", hammered with "smiles" and otherwise.................uh?.................simp ly..."overcome" with their sound. This is an (what's the word??, ok) AWESOME addition to my listening pleasures. I have now ordered their 1st: Unicorn and while visiting the Cyclops site, I listened to other samplers and ordered Odyssice: Impression. THANKS!!! For the FANTASTIC recommendation. I then went to the ROSFestival Site. WOW!! It's in PA., not too far from me. I'm going to have to convince the wife to go or let me go. It's been A LONG time since I've seen a live music event as that. RickandRoll, this may be the one we can do together.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorksrvc
It's been A LONG time since I've seen a live music event as that. RickandRoll, this may be the one we can do together.
Well I do have seventh row, and Terminator will be there and vaxman of course ...and..and.

Going to see Might Could in College Park tonight...and Orphan Project plays a coffeehouse in Abingdon in January...you may like that...and...well you get the picture
Old 12-16-2005, 06:21 PM

well, I'd better get talking to the lady and order tickets.......sheeesh!! I got....."the" picture. There's allot going on around and I don't have a clue. Hey! I just got Seiges Even: Art of Navigating........it's pretty cool. That guitarist is........sweet!!!
Old 12-16-2005, 07:09 PM
Patron

I'm really happy to have been of service, yorks. That's what this community is all about. My musical (and other!) life has been completely transformed, changed and grown through the insight and generosity of moonies. Thief...saw them in Chippenham UK with rogormortis and keithiew. They suffered from some sound issues there. Hope they're all cleared up for you. You've got to go to ROSfest!!! You'll be in good company.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Progger since 1966

Thumbs up Re: What CD's Are you Playing RIght Now? Top 5

Inconsolable Secret redux........... Ive now visited the LADY about 30 times in 10 days, so on this Friday eve, the night I stretch the limits of my Sound system ,
I'm popping in KNIGHTS........

Click image for larger version

Name:	coversmall.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	158
Old 12-18-2005, 03:42 AM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee

Fighting a valliant rear-guard action in a futile attempt to get and remain caught up, Dr. Dot replies from a post that is just short of a month old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz
Interesting that these 10+ and 20+ pieces are on the "shorts."
I noticed that too as I was putting it together. They're only short because my longs are all in the half hour plus range. Once I find a way of cramming 4 hours of MP3 on a single CD, I'm gonna be in good shape, since I'll only need two CDs for a full day's work with zero repetition.

Good news, though! With all the hard work I've been doing lately, I've been given my very own personal hard-walled office (with door that locks, thanks!).

I choose to believe that it's because of my hard work rather than my rather vocal exploration into the seedier neighborhoods of our shared language.
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 12-20-2005, 02:37 AM
KeithieW

At the moment I'm listening to Ian Anderson playing the orchestral Tull and the "Live" Aqualung album. Both are extremely good esp. the Orchestral Tull. The second CD of that set has a wonderful rendition of Budapest on it. Some of you may have the Live Aqualung as I think they were given away on the last Tull tour in the US.

The following links will give more info. I know they look the same but I promise they are different.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...313069-6941544

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...313069-6941544

Last edited by KeithieW : 12-20-2005 at 02:40 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: