Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2016, 07:07 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM - #253 - The Nice and Keith Emerson Band

Greetings friends.

What a tragedy befell the Prog community last week. I am still reeling from the loss of Keith Emerson. I was glad I could revamp last weeks show to include a tribute to Keith. I would like to continue that tribute to material outside of Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

I would like to start with the more recent work of the Keith Emerson Band featuring Marc Bonilla. The album was released in 2008 and is a excellent example of his matured compositional skills. Keith spent many years after ELP composing movie scores and it seems that process helped him learn the art of sparcity. The compositions are leaner and more concise. But not at the loss of beauty and fullness.

Now, on the other side of things, the 2nd half of the show will go back to his roots, which resided in his group The Nice. They first formed in the late 60's with the release of their first album, Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack, in 1967. The group started with four members: Brian Davidson (drums, tympanis, tubular bells), Lee Jackson (lead vocals, bass, guitar, tympani), David O'List (guitar, flute, trumpet, backing vocals), and Keith Emerson (organ, harpsichord, piano, backing vocals).

I found a nifty live album that has very good sound quality, for the most part. It is from December of 1969 at the Fillmore East. It came after the release of their 3rd album entitled Nice. So the 2 disc set if a good compilation of their material. At this time in '69, the group was now a trio with David O'List parting ways after the first album.

As you might imagine we will go into overtime this week, but it's for an amazing musician and brilliant man. My thoughts go out to all of his fans, friends, and family.

I hope you enjoy this tribute.

d
-

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 03-19-2016, 06:12 AM

Re: COTM - #253 - The Nice and Keith Emerson Band

great amigo DALE ,, a show like this ,,it s a perfect tribute to a so unforgettable musician. Really great selection ,,past and present. Cheers amigo
Old 03-21-2016, 09:55 AM

Re: COTM - #253 - The Nice and Keith Emerson Band

I did not know 2008 album and neither Bonilla ,, great merci.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: