Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2006, 08:13 PM
KeithieW

Re: Guilty Pleasures!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloy1964 View Post
Looking through my collection I think my best offering would be 'The Magic Rounabout - Dougal and the blue cat'. Always did model myself on Dylan the Rabbit! I bought the album cheap at a record fair because it is quite a collectors piece with the film that came out not so long back.
I loved the Magic Roundabout too. Dylan was the guy I and most of my friends resembled too.

I have a fondness for the Clangers. I have every episode on DVD and a CD of all the music used on the Program.

I went to a restaurant the day I bought this CD and asked the staff "Can I play my new Clangers CD". The waiter thought it was a new punk band and agreed. When the music started it took about 10 minutes of odd looks from the staff and a couple of comments from other diners before it was removed from the player and returned to me. Bloody philistines!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/clangers/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clangers.jpg (13.8 KB, 197 views)
Old 12-01-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
Nothing to feel guilty about there. TDN rocked (in their day) except for the cheesy songs. (there were a couple)

I still have "Around the world wiith Three Dog Night" live album on vinyl.
Wash away my troubles...
wash away my pain...
Wii-ith the rain in Shambala...

I swear, i'm going to cover that someday.

Kirk/Zenpool

www.cdbaby.com/zenpool
available at itunes, toweronline, bestbuyonline,
sony direct, rhapsody, loudeye...
IOMA award winner "best producer"2004
Old 12-01-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
Wash away my troubles...
wash away my pain...

Kirk/Zenpool
love that song!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Patron

if MrM thinks he's the only one groovin to Manhattan Transfer ....scoot over i'm out here playin in the RED Clay!

great singin', guilty, guilty, guilty

so what if i'm guilty of some solo projects by kenny loggins - Nightwatch & ALive lps
got me w/Angelique...and he looks sooo good w/that beard
Old 12-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Patron

Send a message via AIM to PeterG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
Wash away my troubles...
wash away my pain...

Kirk/Zenpool
I think there are a BUNCH of TDN songs that could be stylistically covered, and be popular again.... grreat writing... song structure.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:37 AM

KeithieW,

I just bought - for my wife's birthday - Barry Manilow's "First and Farewell" - it has 2 DVD's - one from his first ever concert on his own (using band he played with for Bette M.) - it is black and white and bad/poor quality - but lots of fun. The 2nd DVD is from his last concert - on the road - in late nineties (early 2000's ?) Haven't watched it yet.

Knowing of your "affection" for BM - or at least his music - thought I'd share. It is a good DVD.

Regards,
Ted
Old 12-07-2006, 04:28 AM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
KeithieW,

I just bought - for my wife's birthday - Barry Manilow's "First and Farewell" - it has 2 DVD's - one from his first ever concert on his own (using band he played with for Bette M.) - it is black and white and bad/poor quality - but lots of fun. The 2nd DVD is from his last concert - on the road - in late nineties (early 2000's ?) Haven't watched it yet.

Knowing of your "affection" for BM - or at least his music - thought I'd share. It is a good DVD.

Regards,
Ted
Thanks Ted.......we have a good DVD library here. I'll see if they have it on their list and borrow it. If I like it I'll get it. I have to admit that my favorite BM era is the Mid 70s to mid 80s...the "Even Now" era. Some wonderful songs and even better arrangements. BM and Marty Panzer were a pretty formidable writing team.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
Thanks Ted.......we have a good DVD library here. I'll see if they have it on their list and borrow it. If I like it I'll get it. I have to admit that my favorite BM era is the Mid 70s to mid 80s...the "Even Now" era. Some wonderful songs and even better arrangements. BM and Marty Panzer were a pretty formidable writing team.
KeithieW - you are so right. I hope they have the DVD! BM is also a great showman - getting the audience involved in show.

Thanks for sharing your "guilty pleasure" with us all!! And giving us a chance to do the same.

BTW - have you heard of RUNRIG? It is a Scottish Rock group. Any thoughts or comments about them?

Regards,
Ted
Old 12-07-2006, 07:16 AM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
BTW - have you heard of RUNRIG? It is a Scottish Rock group. Any thoughts or comments about them?

Regards,
Ted
I have a scottish friend who ADORES Runrig. I don't mind them but have never given them enough "ear time". Next time I see Neil I'll do that. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
I have a scottish friend who ADORES Runrig. I don't mind them but have never given them enough "ear time". Next time I see Neil I'll do that. Thanks for the reminder.
My Pleasure - I too have a friend who adores them. He has been to Scotland once and on a separate trip, his son and sister made to a concert and goto to go backstage and visit with the band.

They are really good - especially the way they mix the "traditional" instruments into a rock format - something about pipes and guitars.... wow.

Well worth listening to!!

Ted
Old 12-23-2006, 09:19 AM

Early Queen ;-)
Old 12-23-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daria View Post
Early Queen ;-)
Guilty as charged!

March of the Black Queen....I think I'll play that today...
Old 12-25-2006, 06:41 AM
<Insert emoticon here>

Red face Re: Guilty Pleasures!!!!!

Hmmm. don't think I've EVER posted to this thread... Time to fess up!

Spacey New Age music - (Some say "new age" rhymes with sewage, but I enjoy it at the "right" time... Have even composed a bit of it)

Kayak - Sorta prog Pop, but Ton Scherpenzeel is a brilliant song-writer.

Innocence Mission - Early stuff is great, but they've gotten almost TOO "precious" lately...

Whew... that hurt, but my soul is cleansed... will anyone speak to me ever again?
Old 12-25-2006, 03:13 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to DEzerov

You're not alone with the Manhattan Transfer, Poda....too cool...too hot!
Steely Dan...Becker and Fagan...just brilliant
XTC....you are right Rickster....
Tears for Fears
Sparks...the Mael Brothers are very, very clever...Lil Beethoven is unreal as are the core three albums from the early and mid 70's
Bill Nelson (solo and Be-Bop Deluxe)....retro-futurism at it's best
Roxy Music/ Brian Ferry

....these are a few of my favorite things....

*Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought.

*The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Patron

frem, innocence mission! I went through a major aural journey with them, but once done sort of forgot all about them. Birds of My Neighborhood...what a brilliant album.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:32 PM
<Insert emoticon here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy View Post
frem, innocence mission! I went through a major aural journey with them, but once done sort of forgot all about them. Birds of My Neighborhood...what a brilliant album.
Absolutely agree! Birdless is a real moment on that album. The "precious" comment is probably in response to a profile of them on NPR for the album of lullabyes. Maybe if I had kids??

I note their website promises a new album in March!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Patron

One of my most loved 'guilty pleasures' has always been Uriah Heep. I was really into them up until Conquest or thereabouts, but I've lost track of them since.

They released some duffers (Innocent Victim, Fallen Victim etc) but these were more than made up for by an earlier run of great albums - The Magician's Birthday, Look At Yourself, Demons and Wizards, Salisbury etc.

I haven't heard much UH for years - there's one track on the Moon, but I'd love to hear some more.

MB
Old 01-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Patron

I took my girl to see BM @ The Academy of Music in Philly. Same reasons, same results...maybe, it was 31 yrs. ago! He sang "The Dr. Pepper Song"...eveybody sang with him.
I love Magma, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, 1st Kansas, ACDC, Rob Zombie, Philip Glass, and I still play Ambrosia alot but I can only play when I'm in the house by myself.
Mat
Old 01-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Patron

I took my girl to see BM @ The Academy of Music in Philly. Same reasons, same results...maybe, it was 31 yrs. ago! He sang "The Dr. Pepper Song"...eveybody sang with him.
I love Magma, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, 1st Kansas, ACDC, Rob Zombie, Philip Glass, and I still play Ambrosia alot but I can only play when I'm in the house by myself.

Mat
Old 01-14-2007, 06:12 PM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpwoods View Post

Mat
So Mat....I bet that makes you a fan too, eh?? Nice to know that there are more of us out there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: