Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2001, 08:15 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
WMA for 24k?

We now have the option to replace either one (or both) streams with Windows Media format streams. For those who've never tried it, Windows Media sounds probably twice as good as mp3 streams. A 24k WMA stream sounds like a 40k mp3 stream, a 56k stream has the quality of around 110k mp3 stream. Mileage varies.

We're going to keep the 56k mp3 stream the way it is, just because it's the more popular format. But we have the opportunity to take the 24k stream to WMA, and really increasing the sound quality for modem users, and also broadcast in stereo for those folks.

What say ye?

Avian
Old 11-29-2001, 12:07 PM

Thumbs up WMA Stream

Sounds good to me.
Old 11-30-2001, 02:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lost Dreams
LOVE the idea

Better sound quality for the same bandwith? WMA it is.
Old 12-04-2001, 08:31 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
It looks like this will quickly become a reality. Stay tuned!

- Avian
Old 12-05-2001, 12:27 AM
Owner Emeritus

It's Up! Click on the link on the front page (other pages to follow).

Let me know what you think.

The 24k mp3 streams will be transitioned over soon enough. There's a promo running that says Saturday, but they may stick around longer than that.

Avian
Old 12-19-2001, 12:33 PM

28K MP3 feed

Had trouble today with the 56K feed, and switched over to the 28K. It had different music playing, not the requested material. Finally the 56K came back on, so I switched back and everything was fine. Does the 28K feed have different programming than the 56K, or am I completely insane?

And just a comment on the WMP (WMA). I stay as far away from WMP and Microsoft as humanly possible. So if you want me to keep listening, don't even think about replacing the MP3 feeds.
Old 12-19-2001, 12:47 PM
Owner Emeritus

There was a connection problem with the station as a whole today - it affected all streams.

All the streams play the same thing. The 24k and WMA 21k streams and live365 56k may lag behind the regular 56k stream. The 21k WMA stream will lag behind the most - it could be up to a minute.

No need to worry about the lag - you're not missing anything, Network conditions and server settings determine how far the lag is.

We decided not to replace any mp3 streams, but the wma stream will complement them.

Have fun!

- Avian
Old 12-19-2001, 01:36 PM

Confused??

Ok, I understand what you said, but I'm confused about your servers. You said "live365 56k may lag behind the regular 56k stream". What is the difference? The URL for the 56K feed is
"http://www.auralmoon.com/main56k.pls", and the URL for the
live365 feed is also:
"http://www.auralmoon.com/main56k.pls". I just checked them both. I understand the relay servers are different, but I see no difference in the 56K feeds.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:09 PM
Owner Emeritus

If you click on the link "56k Cable/DSL main" you'll get main56k.pls

If you click on the link "56k Cable/DSL relay", you'll get relay56k.pls

Where are you looking?

Avian
Old 12-20-2001, 08:17 AM

I'm looking on the left hand column, where the 56K, and other speeds have their link. And also down in the middle body of the page, where you say, use this live356 link, and if busy, use the Relay server link. I'm just curious, what is the difference between the Regular 56K link, and the Live365 link, which both point to
"main56k.pls"? You're the one that said they were different, but they have the same address.
Old 12-20-2001, 08:30 AM
Owner Emeritus

When I say "live365" I mean "relay" - our relay is on live365.

Davin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: