Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Progger since 1966

the GENESIS story...

Hi Moonbuds, Yesterday I watched the 1 hour Tour kickoff with Phil, Mike, and Tony. I thought Id repeat the facts for all to see. The Boys said:

They Have been rubbing elbows as friends this last 15 years.
The original Idea was to have a 5 member LAMB LIES DOWN revival
Peter and Steve were part of these Talks, Peter has no time so its a no go
The Band wants to do alot of their "HITS" from Their last 3 Albums and Steve was not part of that so he graciously bowed out.
Chester Thompson and Darell will Indeed round out the Band
Phil has one ear with Hearing loss caused by a virus 6 years ago, not loud music.
They will play 20 gigs in Europe and 20 later in the US.
When asked are they in it for the money, The answer was No, it was for the fun of being together performing their Best Material. Phil said if it was for the Cash then thy would be doing many more shows on other Continents as well.
Finally, and to me surprisingly, The Band will perform NO new material.

That's the Facts Moon people:

My take is: No new material?. That's what I wanted. It will seem like a Moodies Concert, about the past not the present.

I saw the MAMA tour and it was excellent, The double drum kit was a WOW!
I wont be going to a Stadium for ANY band but I would Pay to see them again. For 35 years I called GENESIS my favorite Band...that has really not changed.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Progger since 1966

Re: the GENESIS story...

So after 40 reads, no other opinions? ...
Old 11-09-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharcnorris View Post
So after 40 reads, no other opinions? ...

Crisis day at work, my friend, don't take it personal
Old 11-09-2006, 03:17 PM

Well i hope to see them in Montreal in the next year. They spoke about coming to the States so maybe further north. I saw them in the 80's in the big olympic stadium and it was a great show. They are very popular in Québec so as the other prog bands of the 70's. Québec was a very fertile place for bands such as Supertramp, Styx, Genesis and others. I hope they play the old stuff...

Normand
Old 11-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharcnorris View Post

I wont be going to a Stadium for ANY band but I would Pay to see them again. For 35 years I called GENESIS my favorite Band...that has really not changed.
I have a confession to make...

As Sharc I said I would never go to a stadium to see any group, but after consulting with Mrs Lotus, I made a reservation for 2 tx for the gig in Düsseldorf...I will report in summer...

Old 11-09-2006, 04:43 PM

Seems like I'm the only purist around here ; I won't go and see Genesis unless it's the full original line-up. I doubt they'll play much 70's stuff with just Phil, Tony and Mike. Just my two cents.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksun View Post
Seems like I'm the only purist around here ; I won't go and see Genesis unless it's the full original line-up. I doubt they'll play much 70's stuff with just Phil, Tony and Mike. Just my two cents.
I saw them in 1982 pull out Supper's Ready. It was ok.

I got my fix in seeing the Musical Box "Foxtrot" last night. Salmacis, Hogweed, some neat songs.

Hackett and Gabriel obviously aren't interested, and their music has developed far away from Genesis. It would be weird to see all of them reunite. I wouldn't see them if they all got back together. Why?

I'd like to see the trio develop their better later songs, like "Fading Lights" or "Driving the Last Spike". Like that will ever happen.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:10 PM

I'd love to see them again, in any configuration, playing whatever the hell they wanted to.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to VERNIXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksun View Post

I'm with you. I wouldn't go see the HIT-MACHINE Pop line-up of Genesis if it was FREE!
Old 11-19-2006, 11:12 PM

Sorry to say it because I'm a Genesis fan.

I already have the money to pay a plane ticket to USA reserved for a Genesis 5 men tour, maybe would expend it in a 4 men tour.

But no Hackett and no Gabriel = NO GENESIS.

Genesis IMHO died the same day Hackett left the band.

As I said on another Forum, if they played in my backyard I would close the curtains and go to my local pub to have a beer with good music recordings.

Iván

Last edited by ivan_2068 : 11-19-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:22 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_2068 View Post
Sorry to say it because I'm a Genesis fan.

I already have the money to pay a plane ticket to USA reserved for a Genesis 5 men tour, maybe would expend it in a 4 men tour.

But no Hackett and no Gabriel = NO GENESIS.

Genesis IMHO died the same day Hackett left the band.

As I said on another Forum, if they played in my backyard I would close the curtains and go to my local pub to have a beer with good music recordings.

Iván
A shame, isn't it? I was a big Genesis fan in the day. I agree with you too that when Hackett left it was no longer the same band. Whether or not it was the fault of Phil Collins, it became the Phil Collins band in my eyes. ATTW3 they seemed to try and I gave them some credit there as they tried to regroup, but after that they went into the pop (or should that be poop) hit mode. I caught the TotT tour through (I believe it was) Duke. The post Hackett live stage wasn't the same (of course, no Hackett solo).

If the tickets are not TOO pricey, I may go. I know it will be a big stadium/arena show too which I've grown to loathe. I recently caught Roger Waters at MSG. I'd forgotten how much I hate big arena shows -- Thank you for reminding me Mr. Waters. Genesis will have to play a lot of the pre-ATTW3 material though for me to cough up a dime to see them.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 AM
KeithieW

This is one Genesis fan who WON'T be going.

Tix for the Twickenham gig START at GBP 135!!! and go up to GBP 250ish.........out-bloody-rageous!!!!!!!!!!

Those prices show NO respect for the fans and I won't be pushed into paying that to see a band who's last few albums were pretty terrible IMHO.

The PC poop songs did nothing for me.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to VERNIXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan_2068 View Post

Iván
Damn!

But I would have to agree.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:34 AM

Rarely are bands as prolific or good as when they start out. There's usually not a clear demarcation as to when bands decline, but it's inevitable.

I suggest that you may find that Genesis may have travelled the same road with Hackett on board.

"Your Own Special Way" is a beautiful tune. But it's certainly pop.

I'm not suggesting to see Genesis now. Personally iIwould not (arena setting, spoiled on good venues, price, etc). But I like some of the post-Duke material. If you don't like "Fading Lights" from "We Can't Dance", you have really just haven't given it a chance. It stands up to most of their great early material.

And why does Gabriel get a free pass for "Sledgehammer"? Again personally I like the song. but it was as popular, overplayed, and trite as most of later Genesis.

Remember, I'm someone whose favorite Genesis record is Selling England, song is Musical Box, etc. i have no special interest in or affinity for post-Hackett Genesis. But take each record on its own merits.

Yes can put out some less than stellar material. they don't seem to get the same treatment.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:05 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
I suggest that you may find that Genesis may have travelled the same road with Hackett on board.

Could be true but we'll never know. "Your Own Special Way" is on W&W and maybe it was the impetus for Hackett's departure?

Quote:
And why does Gabriel get a free pass for "Sledgehammer"? Again personally I like the song. but it was as popular, overplayed, and trite as most of later Genesis.
I didn't hand out any free passes. That song was deplorably trite. It might have been an attempt to hook new listeners though to sell the album.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 11-20-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Could be true but we'll never know. "Your Own Special Way" is on W&W and maybe it was the impetus for Hackett's departure?

I didn't hand out any free passes. That song was deplorably trite. It might have been an attempt to hook new listeners though to sell the album.
Best part of the song is the understated guitar in the middle. He probably had a lot to do with it..

Deplorably trite...i like that
Old 11-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
This is one Genesis fan who WON'T be going.

Tix for the Twickenham gig START at GBP 135!!! and go up to GBP 250ish.........out-bloody-rageous!!!!!!!!!!

Those prices show NO respect for the fans and I won't be pushed into paying that to see a band who's last few albums were pretty terrible IMHO.

The PC poop songs did nothing for me.
Tx on the continent are far cheaper. From 68 to 95 Euro.

I have tx for one Düsseldorf gig, although, and I agree fully with Vax, I hate big stadium gigs...

But, btw, Vax I have tx for Roger Waters in a sport Arena (Audience aprox 10.000..), so I guess this will be good...

Old 11-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Rarely are bands as prolific or good as when they start out. There's usually not a clear demarcation as to when bands decline, but it's inevitable.

I'm not suggesting to see Genesis now. Personally iIwould not (arena setting, spoiled on good venues, price, etc). But I like some of the post-Duke material. If you don't like "Fading Lights" from "We Can't Dance", you have really just haven't given it a chance. It stands up to most of their great early material.

Remember, I'm someone whose favorite Genesis record is Selling England, song is Musical Box, etc. i have no special interest in or affinity for post-Hackett Genesis. But take each record on its own merits.

Yes can put out some less than stellar material. they don't seem to get the same treatment.
I think one big difference is in the trend. Yes has rebounded from their worst albums with some fairly good material. Peter Gabriel is stylistically all over the place, and his most recent album has very good stuff on it. But early Genesis (IMO) was some of the best prog ever. Later Genesis is consistently weak. And, the trend which started on Wind & Wuthering (one poppy but nice track) continued to get worse, until later albums are virtually unlistenable to prog fans.
The other big factor is the "depths of their disgrace" - Genesis's lows are lower than Yes's, and even lower than that ELP abomination "Pirates" (joking, but couldn't resist) - "Illegal Alien"? "We Can't Dance"? Please - those aren't even good POP songs.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Patron

Quote:
For once in my life I support Rick to the hilt. "We can't Dance" is a much better album than all the preceding after Duke. Jim is right that Genesis have made cheap pop songs but at the time there was not that much else to be had (pre internet times) so we lapped it up. But like all good things come to an end Genesis petered out after Wind and Wuthering.

I have, though, bought a ticket to see this bunch of old men. I've only seen Genesis once before and that was the same bunch. Old Genesis I've missed up here in the desert, when I was just a poor student. So I have to make do with what we can get. In that sense, you others who only would see the re-united Genesis, are going to miss something. The old Genesis will not unite in my opinion.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
I think one big difference is in the trend. Yes has rebounded from their worst albums with some fairly good material. Peter Gabriel is stylistically all over the place, and his most recent album has very good stuff on it. But early Genesis (IMO) was some of the best prog ever. Later Genesis is consistently weak. And, the trend which started on Wind & Wuthering (one poppy but nice track) continued to get worse, until later albums are virtually unlistenable to prog fans.
The other big factor is the "depths of their disgrace" - Genesis's lows are lower than Yes's, and even lower than that ELP abomination "Pirates" (joking, but couldn't resist) - "Illegal Alien"? "We Can't Dance"? Please - those aren't even good POP songs.
I can go for this reasoning. That puts it in a good perspective. The only thing I'd point out is that "Open Your Eyes" is worse than any of it and "Love Will Find A Way" from Big Generator is really low.

I'm surprised about opinions of Duke. Except for the one really crappy song (we all know what that is), it's a good record. Heathaze, CuldeSac? Good stuff.

Rogor - we agree on a lot....you're not fooling anybody.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: