Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2004, 09:00 AM

Programming

There seems to be a strong reaction from a lot of listeners about repeat music, and programming on the Moon. There have been a lot of forum threads innundated with this, so I was hoping we could consolidate our ideas into one.

It would be beneficial to see what a lot of others think, please give your opinions and suggestions.

I know I have made these points in other threads, but I want to dump them here and be done with it. Also, I am very interested in what the consensus is, and hope to move forward from this stale topic.

For consideration by Jim and my fellow Moonies:

1) The idea of full-length play is essential to a prog station. A show like Tommy's is needed. Personally, I have issues with the preponderance (sp?) of the same bands (especially the Floyd), but everyone seems to really enjoy it. There should be more of this full-length play. There are tons of examples, but for instance Strangefish's Full Scale record is awesome. No one wants to hear "Oceans Deep" ten times and no others. Play it all. A lot of my favorite CD's lose their magic if cuts are played individually from them.

2) I do not want to see this become a Flower Kings station (like some others) but having people burn out on it is a bad thing. "I Am The Sun" has never been requested by me, but I love the tune. But how about "Serious Dreamers" or a tune like that instead? Take a chance people!

3) I may not like a lot of what's on Progressive Shores, but I love the idea and the show. Even the repeats are fine.

4) The idea of having listeners select a block of music once a month or every two weeks has a lot of upside:

a) The listener party blocks were awesome. You had Wojtek and the classics, Mossy with the more quiet, etc. I especially thought Teerminator's was excellent. I didn't like it at first glance, but the songs were great. There's a lot of listener talent here.

b) There is pressure when a request is made to make it the "best". Personally I only request a couple of songs a week. Sometimes I want to really dig in and pick a different one, but I find myself choosing the "safe" tune. I think this is the main reason for the same songs you hear over and over. Especially the ones who rq every day.

c) Having this outlet, for me at least, will keep down the urge of rq at other times. I would be happy with not rq any other time if I had a block.

d) The requests are dominated by the hardcore Moonies. The variety is limited (see b above), and the "flavor of the month" is present. In order to cultivate new listeners you need variety. Not just different kinds of music, but different ARTISTS.

e) Themes are cool, but can be controlled in a format like this. The morning listeners used to come up with themes and everyone will pick songs to match. A lot of times some mediocre stuff would play, but an outlet like that would be neat. Also it keeps from being an all day affair.

f) Having shows like these would highlight the library - all the music would be culled from the Moon. If the Moon has 11,000 songs, I'll bet we only hear a few hundred. Or perhaps a thousand, but 100 played over and over.

5) I strongly disagree with putting a limit on how often a band plays or someone can request, but by the same token, in order to expand the base we need to be inclusive of others, specifically the periphery listener. No one should be rq more than 3 songs a day, really. It's just not fair. And no one should take advantage of this either. I'm past the point of buying all I hear, but I want to hear it!

6) Another reason you hear these same long tunes is that if you are making a request, you don't want to "waste it" on a 4 minute tune. More bang for the buck. On Stardust We Are, there are a few short great songs. but hey if I can rq, why not stardust...it's 25 minutes...see what I mean? then we burned out on it. Transatlantic - "We All Need Some Light Now" might be the best song on the record - but there are other longer songs and they get played.

7) The program director should have a certain amount of time to have "free programming". Sometimes we've played songs by bands with the same letter, stuff like that. Or random play. I like that. It's different.

8) All new additions should be played in their entierety once. Why not? This is long overdue.

None of these suggestions I am making have nothing to do with limits.....I want to hear a variety! Our individual libraries are for the other motives.

All right everyone....as a certain candidate says.....bring it on!
Old 08-21-2004, 01:37 PM

Re: Programming

Great post, Rick. I agree with you in 99%, especially on the listener's block ideas. One day per month with 24 h of listeners block is a great idea. Or maybe I'd do it in a little different way. 12 hours of blocks - first show in the best time for US listeners, next day repeat in the other 12 h of the day, in the good time for us, European guys. I will make possible for people from all time zones to hear your block.

Now things I disagree with

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
5) I strongly disagree with putting a limit on how often a band plays or someone can request, but by the same token, in order to expand the base we need to be inclusive of others, specifically the periphery listener. No one should be rq more than 3 songs a day, really. It's just not fair. And no one should take advantage of this either. I'm past the point of buying all I hear, but I want to hear it!
Well, I think that 3 is too restrictive and if we have the limits why to create more? I think that here the most important should be reason of listeners. If you see that there are many ppl on the Moon requesting, wait and don't hurry, let the other hear their favourite music. The opposite situation is when, during the European morning, we are in 2,3 in the WR and are requesting every hour, because it is played immediately after 60 mins and nooone suffers from it (apart from suffering Woj when Keithie requests Tales ). So I'd suggest only sense, reason and moderation.

Quote:
6) Another reason you hear these same long tunes is that if you are making a request, you don't want to "waste it" on a 4 minute tune. More bang for the buck. On Stardust We Are, there are a few short great songs. but hey if I can rq, why not stardust...it's 25 minutes...see what I mean? then we burned out on it. Transatlantic - "We All Need Some Light Now" might be the best song on the record - but there are other longer songs and they get played.
Stardust We Are for me is not the best example and it is one of the best songs I've ever heard and if I request it (I haven't done it yet) it will be because of love (but there are some great smaller tracks on this album - for ex. Don of the Universe) towards this track . But I agree that big numbers do excite a progfan.

My general suggestion is (especially to the Flower Kings fan who requests so often Drivers Seat, I am the Sun etc.) to behave as a DJ while requesting. To be aware that 'play' turns into 'overplay' very easily. If smb loves Flower Kings, I am not against hearing it even few times per day, but I'd like to hear diversity of their tracks, not the 5 standard ones.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:11 PM

Quote:
bring it on!
sigh... as you wish.

Quote:
1) The idea of full-length play is essential to a prog station.
It is not essential. In fact, it is counter-productive to a listener-based station. If an album comes on that I hate, I'm gone. As far as the cutting up of songs that run together, the answer there is to make sure these songs are tracked together. For instance, songs like "Long Distance Runaround/The Fish" shouldn't be split up, but neither does it warrant playing all of Fragile.

Quote:
having people burn out on it is a bad thing.... Take a chance people!
Amen brother.

Quote:
4) The idea of having listeners select a block of music once a month or every two weeks has a lot of upside:

a) The listener party blocks were awesome. You had Wojtek and the classics, Mossy with the more quiet, etc. I especially thought Teerminator's was excellent. I didn't like it at first glance, but the songs were great. There's a lot of listener talent here.
Without getting into how radio programming really really works, block programming is a BAD idea.
  • First of all, it'd take a whole crap-load of programming, and never forget that AM is run as a hobby, not a business. That one day of block was a birthday party, not a daily thing.
  • We have over 400 members. Does everyone get an hour? Newbie's want their hour. Everyone wants the best time-slot so their songs are heard... Nightmare for R.Lee and PDJ.
  • What if it turns out that "Bill" consistantly hates "Jerry's" hour. They just musically don't mesh. Rather than sitting through Jerry's request, he has to sit through his hour.
  • You can count on this: There will be an all Yes hour, and all Genesis hour, and all KC hour, an all Canterbury hour, an all Kraut hour, an all prog-metal hour, etc. What you end up with is actually LESS variety, because SAM never DJs anymore.
  • Finally, in order to make block programming work, one of two things have to happen. 1. EVERYONE gets access to the station's computer, so that they can queue up thier hour. or 2. a DJ, be it Roger, Jim, Sean, Tommy, Cozy, or myself, has to be at the computer all day queueing up each hour. Obviously #1 is not going to happen for security reasons. You can count out #2 because we have lives and don't get paid to do anything AM-wise.

Quote:
d) The requests are dominated by the hardcore Moonies. The variety is limited (see b above), and the "flavor of the month" is present. In order to cultivate new listeners you need variety. Not just different kinds of music, but different ARTISTS.
"Flavor of the month" is how radio works, whether broadcast or internet. If you want a truly mixed variety, the only way to get it is to eliminate requests altogether and have SAM simply play randomly through the whole library. Also, I say the way to cultivate new listeners is to allow them to help program the station, meaning giving them the same privilege the hard-core Moonies have - the privilege to request.

Quote:
Having shows like these would highlight the library - all the music would be culled from the Moon.
On the contrary, it would highlight less of the library. If you think people pick "safe" songs now, think about what they'll do when they have to program an hour? An occasional person might program an hour of stuff he's never heard, but 99% of listeners are going to load it with stuff they know and like, i.e. famous stuff. And again, SAM is shut out.

Quote:
I strongly disagree with putting a limit on how often a band plays or someone can request.
Well, there already are limits on both, and I think I speak for Jim and Dot when I say that that ain't changing. The same artist can't play twice in a 2 hour period, and you can't request again for one hour after your request. If the limit on how often a band could play were eliminated, We'd hear The Flower Kings and Yes twelve times a day instead of six. If there were no limit on how often someone could request, I promise you people would request twenty songs at a time. You wanna talk about lack of variety?!!

Quote:
Now, this I agree with you on. I've thought about this before. The best "solution" I could think of is this: If you request a song Shorter than 10:00 you have the same one-hour delay you always have, but if you request a song Longer than 10:00, you have a two-hour delay until your next request. This could enourage requesting shorter songs. Request short songs more often, or long ones less often! It would take some tinkering by Dotty, but could be a good idea.

Quote:
The program director should have a certain amount of time to have "free programming"... random play. I like that. It's different.
That's exactly what a request free day would be. Request Free Thursday!

Quote:
All new additions should be played in their entierety once. Why not? This is long overdue.
Hmmm... now that's not a bad idea. However, there's the ubiquitous "New Moon" on the way, and we have to consider how much of the programming day it would take. If an update is 20 albums, and each one averages 45 minutes, that's.... 15 hours. 3 hours a day for a week. I dunno...

Quote:
None of these suggestions I am making have nothing to do with limits.....I want to hear a variety!
You want to hear more variety eh? Here's how it can happen. Rather than go through hoops to do block programming, themes, playing whole albums, how about using the old K.I.S.S. method?

Move the time between artist plays from 2 hours to 3. Here's the math. At present, TFK, Yes, Transatlantic, KC, Rush, and Genesis can each play 12 times a day. That simple change to 3 hour gap would limit them to 8 times a day.

SIMPLE LOGIC: The less times an artist is allowed to play a day,
the more artists get played.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
For consideration by Jim and my fellow Moonies:

1) The idea of full-length play is essential to a prog station. A show like Tommy's is needed. Personally, I have issues with the preponderance (sp?) of the same bands (especially the Floyd), but everyone seems to really enjoy it. There should be more of this full-length play. There are tons of examples, but for instance Strangefish's Full Scale record is awesome. No one wants to hear "Oceans Deep" ten times and no others. Play it all. A lot of my favorite CD's lose their magic if cuts are played individually from them.
There's a couple of different but related ideas here. I agree a show like Tommy's is a good thing, and there are no plans to eliminate it. I also could deal with less Floyd and the KC family of bands, but I don't want to be dictating what Tommy plays. Defeats the purpose of having someone ELSE do a show if I tell him what to play or not play.
I'm not convinced playing the entire Strangefish album through will alleviate the problem of "Oceans Deep" being overplayed. We can consider more full length play at some point, but the biggest problem I hear is too much of the same artists rather than not enough of an artist.
Quote:

2) I do not want to see this become a Flower Kings station <snip> Take a chance people!
We do not want to and will not become a Flower Kings station. I like the band A LOT, but there's way too much of the same songs being requested.
Quote:

3) I may not like a lot of what's on Progressive Shores, but I love the idea and the show. Even the repeats are fine.
Progressive Shores may be MY favorite of the shows. Sean always has stuff that I'm not familiar with, and I like the methodical country by country approach.
Quote:

<lots of stuff snipped>
Well, two main problems with this. One, coordinating user blocks will take a fair amount of human intervention on mine and/or Roger's parts. We can make it happen, but it may not be religiously every month. The bigger issue as I see it, is that the repetitiveness you hear on Aural Moon is directly the result of listeners choosing the music. I don't intend to come across as arrogant or anything here, but I see the workings of the station, and I can see when what is played is a random SAM selection, requests, or DJ'd by one of us. Naturally, I like what I DJ (or I wouldn't cue it up in the first place). But I can assure you, requests are the least imaginative, and most repetitive music you here on Aural Moon. Certainly there are exceptions - the themes overall worked well I felt - lots of people requested songs they didn't know because they fit in with the theme. Maybe having user blocks available would help. But I think we have a lot of regular requesters who are not regular posters, and I'm guessing that's where a lot of repeats come from.
Quote:

Well, these two points almost contradict themselves, don't they? The bottom line is, we already have a limit on how often people can request. We are going to experiment with some minor modifications to these policies (making them more stringent, I'm afraid) and feedback will be listened to.
Quote:

7) The program director should have a certain amount of time to have "free programming". Sometimes we've played songs by bands with the same letter, stuff like that. Or random play. I like that. It's different.
Technically, I have that now. But we are seriously considering a "request-free" day, when no requests are allowed - once a month, or once a week even. I think people will be pleasantly surprised.
Quote:

8) All new additions should be played in their entierety once. Why not? This is long overdue.
Not a bad idea at all, we'll probably do this on an informal basis.
Quote:

None of these suggestions I am making have nothing to do with limits.....I want to hear a variety!
As I alluded earlier, I think the only way to hear more variety is to limit the requests, unfortunately. We'll continue to work on it from all angles though.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:19 PM

Jim sez Rick sez

Jim sez: We can consider more full length play at some point, but the biggest problem I hear is too much of the same artists rather than not enough of an artist.

Rick sez: Good point Jim. That's a better way of looking at it.

Jim sez: Maybe having user blocks available would help.

Rick sez: An intersting idea. Agree with the time constraints keeping my original idea from happening. I want this station to be a labor of love for you, not a burden.

Jim sez: Well, these two points almost contradict themselves, don't they? The bottom line is, we already have a limit on how often people can request. We are going to experiment with some minor modifications to these policies (making them more stringent, I'm afraid) and feedback will be listened to.

Rick sez: No they dont.....I sometimes lose my meaning for the sake of editing. I meant it's human nature to want to have ones' favs played, but the alternative to the freedom we enjoy is limits, which is not palatable for most people. I'm asking for the requestors to self-police themselves, cause I don't feel in a free forum such as Aural Moon we should have limits. I already find some of that discussion past the point of being workable (note to Spaz and RdotLee....do we have to count the songs and how many times each band is played? There are ways around it...I heard a later Yes tune followed by Sherwood/Squire - or FK then Kaipa. Please just go with gut feeling and what you think is reasonable, cause I'll argue with you tooth and nail that there can be abuse...ie req a short tune by a band in order to keep the band from playing again.

Jim sez: Technically, I have that now. But we are seriously considering a "request-free" day, when no requests are allowed - once a month, or once a week even. I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

Rick sez: agree wholeheartedly.

Jim sez: As I alluded earlier, I think the only way to hear more variety is to limit the requests, unfortunately. We'll continue to work on it from all angles though.

Rick sez: A thought to the overrequestors - if you don't want limits set, please control yourselves!

Old 08-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Owner/Program Director

Re: Jim sez Rick sez

Quote:

Jim sez: Well, these two points almost contradict themselves, don't they? The bottom line is, we already have a limit on how often people can request. We are going to experiment with some minor modifications to these policies (making them more stringent, I'm afraid) and feedback will be listened to.

Rick sez: No they dont.....I sometimes lose my meaning for the sake of editing. I meant it's human nature to want to have ones' favs played, but the alternative to the freedom we enjoy is limits, which is not palatable for most people. I'm asking for the requestors to self-police themselves, cause I don't feel in a free forum such as Aural Moon we should have limits. I already find some of that discussion past the point of being workable (note to Spaz and RdotLee....do we have to count the songs and how many times each band is played? There are ways around it...I heard a later Yes tune followed by Sherwood/Squire - or FK then Kaipa. Please just go with gut feeling and what you think is reasonable, cause I'll argue with you tooth and nail that there can be abuse...ie req a short tune by a band in order to keep the band from playing again.
I wouldn't call this abuse; I'd call it "taking one for the team"
Quote:

Jim sez: As I alluded earlier, I think the only way to hear more variety is to limit the requests, unfortunately. We'll continue to work on it from all angles though.

Rick sez: A thought to the overrequestors - if you don't want limits set, please control yourselves!
For the record, the requests today have been excellent.

And Rick, you're right, there's always the POSSIBILITY of abuse. What I'm trying to do is to react to the abuses that exist today. When I find myself groaning because the Flower Kings (a band I like a LOT) are coming on, there's abuses taking place.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:16 PM

the last week actually,

the requests have been good.

can you imagine what Roine Stolt would think? With all of the CD burning, internet play, etc, he should see some of that $. How weird! They are overplayed and undevalued at the same time!

Irony.....
Old 08-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Owner/Program Director

Re: the last week actually,

Quote:
the requests have been good.

can you imagine what Roine Stolt would think? With all of the CD burning, internet play, etc, he should see some of that $. How weird! They are overplayed and undevalued at the same time!

Irony.....
Good point - I didn't agree to take over Aural Moon so that some cheapskates out there can listen to the new Flower Kings every day without buying it. I hope that Aural Moon actually helps put money INTO prog artist's pockets. The bottom line is, if you request a song more than 5 times, buy the friggin' album...
Old 08-24-2004, 04:58 PM

Re: Re: Programming

Quote:
Originally posted by progdirjim
we are seriously considering a "request-free" day, when no requests are allowed - once a month, or once a week even.
Yesspaz votes for once a week.
Quote:
RICK: A thought to the overrequestors - if you don't want [more] limits set, please control yourselves!
preach on brother.
Quote:
JIM:The bottom line is, if you request a song more than 5 times, buy the friggin' album...
Yeah!
Old 08-25-2004, 03:06 AM
KeithieW

I've been following this thread closely and feel that everyone has valid points to make.

To my mind the easiest solution would be to go with the Once a week request free day and monitor the results.

There seem to be phases with RQs. I remember that Sebastian Hardie got thrashed for a while but that seems to have been mellowing recently. The same with Triumvirat.

It takes a little discipline (no pun intended Rick) but it can be done. I now have my own personal Request free days. Not that I don't want to RQ but the fact that there seems to be so much good music played that I don't feel the need to RQ.

The only down side (if you can call it that) is that with SAM playing random tracks, even more "new to Keithie's ears" music gets played and I can see my Barclaycard getting more and more thrashed as the weeks go by. Life's a bitch ain't it?
Old 08-25-2004, 06:45 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
My 2¢/2p/.02€

I typically do not make requests. The moon is a great tool for discovering new music for me. I listen (and faff). I work from my home so I can and do listen to music all day; therefore, I hear and I am more aware of all of the repeats of songs and artists than others may be.

I have taken to requesting short FK tracks in the past week to limit the inundation by longer (20+min) FK tracks. It seems to have helped a bit.

As for request free days? I don't know. If you sum up all of the time devoted to shows, there is already a request free day. Tuesdays are virtual request free days with the repeat of gag's show and then Spaz's show.

I do believe that many of these repeat request offenders are not the regulars -- at least not those that frequent the chat room. Perhaps a little "please be considerate" message or "way too many requests of band X" message when you enter Playlist/Live Request might stem the tide. The person(s) making these requests may not be aware that they are causing such debate here. They may not read the forums, join in the chat, or even have a login on the web site.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:40 PM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee
Dot Sez:

I've set up a poll just so we can have a completely unscientific way of finding out how people who bother to read the poll feel about having a request free day. Vote early, vote often.

Also, I've been reading the ideas with some fascination. Some very good points have been flung from both sides of the fence, and I figured it's a good time for me to chime in and set some expectations as to what Dotty can and can not do with the station software as of this day and time.

Rick's idea of monitoring for abuse (Yes - Sherwood/Squire/ABWH, Kaipa - FK or RQing a 4 second song so one isn't subjected to a 10 minute song, that sort of thing) is a good one. That's the good news. The bad news is that it ranges in technical feasability from damn tough to downright impossible, since there's no way that I'VE found in the software to generate and follow the tree between groups. There's no facility that I can find that would, in any way, tie Yes to ABWH, even though you and I know well that they are, for all intents and purposes, the same group (minus Squire, of course).

Don't let that discourage you from suggesting ideas, however. Anyone. Let ME worry about technical feasability. You just keep coming up with ideas and I'll make them work, if possible and feasable.

Vax's idea of a gentle reminder of overrequesting might be doable. I'm quite sure that the people (and there are definitely more than one) that are requesting FK over and over may well not be aware how annoying it is to the regulars (and, if the graphs are any indication, the non-regulars as well). Maybe a popup (eek!) whenever a particular substring is entered in the request box, or whenever a song has reached a certain number of requests per month/week/given fixed number of days might help. That, while it would be more taxing on the system (minimum of two additional database calls per query), it might well prove to be well worth the effort.

The only other alternative that strikes me in the forehead at the moment is to take a lot of the horribly overrequested tracks by FK/whoever and place them on a week or two vacation.

I, for one, would like to do this as a VERY last resort. It would add a level of subjectivity and overhead to our workload, and it would be unneccessarily draconian.

Again, my opinion is my own, and may or may not reflect that of the management, or, occasionally, even the author.

Roger -Dot- Lee, who really needs to learn how to write shorter posts.
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 08-25-2004, 04:24 PM

we should let jim and roger settle in for awhile,
not get into a "too many cooks" situation.
..although i'm on board w/ that "play the new stuff
all the way through once" idea!

rarely do i hear anything on the moon that makes
me want to flip the channel.
sure, not everything's to my buying tastes, but on
commercial radio, virtually nothing's to my taste,
so it's great to have the moon.

suggestion-you might consider only taking requests in
a dedicated forum for that purpose.

p e a c e kirk

www.cdbaby.com/zenpool
available at itunes, toweronline, bestbuyonline,
sony direct, rhapsody, loudeye...
IOMA award winner "best producer"2004
Old 08-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Patron

dotty...

I'm unable to vote on any poll. I go to polling booth and there's nothing to click on. What am I missing..aside from brain cells.

m
Old 08-25-2004, 05:00 PM

This is not abuse.

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Lee
Don't let that discourage you from suggesting ideas, however.
Ok.
Quote:
I heard a later Yes tune followed by Sherwood/Squire - or FK then Kaipa.
Quote:
Rick's idea of monitoring for abuse (Yes - Sherwood/Squire/ABWH, Kaipa - FK
I think this crosses the line into LOOKING for problems. I think that main-band/side-project shouldn't be treated the way any individual artist is.

For example: Yes - Conspiracy, ABWH, Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman, Bill Bruford, Jon Anderson, Patrick Moraz, Bill Bruford+Patrick Moraz, etc. Should none of these be allowed to play back to back? If Yes plays, then ABWH, and then Conspiracy, Ok, it happens, but there is NO WAY that this is request abuse. That would require someone requesting the songs back to back, which isn't possible without goofing the IP. Bill Bruford is in Yes, KC, Bruford, UK, solo, and Earthworks on AM. Should none of those bands be allowed to play back to back? What about Mike Portnoy? He's in Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiement, OSI, and Transatlantic. Let's make sure none of those bands get played too close together!!!! How many different artist's is Mike Keneally featured with on this station? Roine Stolte? John Myung? Ansley Dunbar is on Journey and Zappa stuff. Do we need to figure out exactly which songs and keep them from playing too close?

If a Journey song and a Neal Schon solo piece play back to back, what that means is that two seperate people requested them, or SAM pulled it. This is not abuse. If it was the same person, there'd be at least an hour gap.

K.I.S.S. is my method. Disallow the same artist from playing twice in a two hour (or three) period, but don't go crazy with things like, "no KC, Trey Gunn Band, Fripp/Eno, or Tony Levin can play in a two...". It's ludicrous.

That's my $0.02 on that topic.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:54 PM

Re: This is not abuse.

Quote:
K.I.S.S. is my method. Disallow the same artist from playing twice in a two hour (or three) period, but don't go crazy with things like, "no KC, Trey Gunn Band, Fripp/Eno, or Tony Levin can play in a two...". It's ludicrous.
'have to agree w/ yesspaz. that sounds like a real pain for someone.

www.cdbaby.com/zenpool
available at itunes, toweronline, bestbuyonline,
sony direct, rhapsody, loudeye...
IOMA award winner "best producer"2004
Old 08-26-2004, 07:33 AM

Re: This is not abuse.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
Ok.

I think this crosses the line into LOOKING for problems.
I'm going to be blunt here. I started this thread to get ideas, to pull something together that has been not so organized over time. It has nothing to do with new management, or any other notion.

I made a statement that sometimes these things play right after one another, and it could be more than coincidental. I've talked to Roger about this, and I am satisfied with our conversation.

I never said "no Trey Gunn within a certain time after Proj. 2 etc. And I never have suggested any limits...that's not my place.

Spaz you're beating this particular idea into the ground, and discussing something we all agree on.

Move on!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kirk
we should let jim and roger settle in for awhile,
not get into a "too many cooks" situation.
..although i'm on board w/ that "play the new stuff
all the way through once" idea!

rarely do i hear anything on the moon that makes
me want to flip the channel.
sure, not everything's to my buying tastes, but on
commercial radio, virtually nothing's to my taste,
so it's great to have the moon.

suggestion-you might consider only taking requests in
a dedicated forum for that purpose.

p e a c e kirk
nicely said Kirk.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Prog rules, dogs drool!

Send a message via AIM to MrMagoo
A quick response

I'm tied up with work, so haven't read all the way thru the various threads, but here's my $.02 worth.

1) limit total amount of play time per requestor per day.
2) limit total amount of play time per artist per day.

Unfortunately I realize programmatically this may be difficult, but I think it would solve most problems. I leave the actual limits per requestor/artist open for discussion.

Also, I do think bumping the current gap from 2 hrs to 3 hrs per artist would be of immediate benefit.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:34 PM

Exclamation

Whatever you do, put more KC!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: