Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2007, 06:43 PM

Re: Early Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
Chicago is over when Terry Kath died!
He was the band's energy.
He was the leader.
Agreed that he was the energy...but the band was changing a year or so before that, and not for the better. Robert Lamm has always been Chicago, with conrtibutions by eveyone - but yes, the balance provided by Kath was crucial.

But Robert Lamm was the man.....
Old 12-05-2007, 07:38 AM

Not sure I'd add this band to the rotation here, but in the early days they were indeed adventurous. For an interesting track that tries to blend the "song" format and experimentation, check out "A Hit by Varese" (V). VII, meanwhile, originally intended as a jazz album, is a nice, ecletic collection that shouldn't be overlooked despite not being one of the early lps. Then things go downhill fast (sped along by the loss of Kath).
Old 05-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Patron

Well, well, well, look who fell in the well. (extra points if you remember what this was from).

So I'm looking at the new library adds and there's not one, but THREE Chicago albums. Coincidentally and independently, I started listen to Chicago on my pod and am saying to myself, I don't think this would be too far out of place on AM. Instant Karma gonna get you.

Terry Kath, RIP, was clearly an incredibly talented guitarist who left us way too early and gave Chicago a proggy edge on those early albums.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 05-24-2008, 10:49 AM

I won't get extra points but I do take issue with the adds. II's "It Better End Soon" is multiple parts, but is one piece. The way it is split is totally wrong. You'd have to have five people requesting back to back, and the parts connect and run into each other. It needs to be one piece.

Same thing with III's "Man vs Man". Try requesting just one part and listening to it. It's a powerful song but only all together as a 13 minute piece.

I also think the suite on II is split up (probably done to exclude Color My World, but it's all chopped up..

The "Hour and the Shower" suite from II has only 49 seconds of it here. (???)

Won't even go into having "Free Form Guitar" on the Moon.

Don't mean to be a wet rag, but if Chicago is added (I have and love the first eight) it should be added logically.

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 05-24-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Well, Mr. Wet Rag, who is sopping up a spilt half empty glass, that is the way the cd's were set up by the group. They are labeled as separate tracks and laid out that way.

Instead of bitching and moaning, why don't YOU edit the original tracks so that they play as single tracks.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 05-24-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillandDale View Post
Well, Mr. Wet Rag, who is sopping up a spilt half empty glass, that is the way the cd's were set up by the group. They are labeled as separate tracks and laid out that way.

Instead of bitching and moaning, why don't YOU edit the original tracks so that they play as single tracks.
Before you read my detailed explanation, please understand that it matters to me not one bit what is on the playlist. If these songs stay this way, I lose no sleep, and I'm not "bitching and moaning". I'm pointing out a fact.

Dale, surely as one versed in the music you should know what I mean. Here is what I am talking about:

Chicago Chicago III An Hour In The Shower: Dreamin' Home 0:49

You want to request that? Go for it! There are plenty of instances of songs spliced together. Would you like to hear the three parts of UK's In the Dead of Night separately? Didn't think so. Dreamin Home is 49 seconds, part 4 of a 5 part song.

Chicago Chicago II Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon: A.M. Mourning 2:07

Chicago Chicago II Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon: Anxiety's Moment 1:01

Chicago Chicago II Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon: Fancy Colours 5:14

Chicago Chicago II Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon: Make Me Smile 3:16

Chicago Chicago II Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon: Now More Than Ever 1:28

Chicago Chicago II Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon: P.M. Mourning 2:00

Chicago Chicago II Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon: So Much to Say, So Much to Give 1:12

Chicago Chicago II Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon: To Be Free 1:15

Chicago Chicago II Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon: West Virginia Fantasies 1:33

Look at the record and then look at this, enough said.

Chicago Chicago III Elegy: Canon 1:05

Chicago Chicago III Elegy: Once Upon A Time.... 2:35

Chicago Chicago III Elegy: Progress? 2:35

Chicago Chicago III Elegy: The Approaching Storm 6:28

Chicago Chicago III Man Vs. Man: The End 1:34

This is an instrumental, one of Chicago's best pieces. It has a recurring theme, when connected makes sense. I doubt you would request Progress? by itself.

Chicago Chicago II It Better End Soon: 1st Movement 2:33

Chicago Chicago II It Better End Soon: 2nd Movement 3:41

Chicago Chicago II It Better End Soon: 3rd Movement 3:18

Chicago Chicago II It Better End Soon: 4th Movement 0:58

Same as the previous. One song...

I'm not blaming anybody, hell, look at Sonus Umbra's "Digging for Seroes". 20 songs, alll connected, but only 4 are stand alone.

Some longer pieces are cut into sections (Garden of Dreams by Flower Kings for instance).

No, I can't edit. I was only responding to gr8, who said Chicago I-III was on the Moon. Again if they stay this way, ok with me.

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 05-24-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:27 AM

Hi Dale,
Love Early CTA. My first concert, they opened for Iron Butterfly at the Garden State Art Center in 1968. Maybe Vax was there. They will always have a special place in my heart. Maybe out of the AM box, but I wouldn't mind.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:57 AM

AM has a tendency once in a while to play stuff that maybe a couple of listeners think are prog, like Iron Maiden. That really rags my ass. Chicago is NOT prog, and does not belong on this station. AM plays so much great stuff, and that is why I listen. If I want Chicago, that's easy enough to find elsewhere. Thanks for letting me vent. Prog on, boys!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletee56 View Post
AM has a tendency once in a while to play stuff that maybe a couple of listeners think are prog, like Iron Maiden. That really rags my ass. Chicago is NOT prog, and does not belong on this station. AM plays so much great stuff, and that is why I listen. If I want Chicago, that's easy enough to find elsewhere. Thanks for letting me vent. Prog on, boys!
Tee, I'm confused. I think I have an email at home where you complimented my show for playing the Tubes (which was a request for me to play by the way). I'll check later, I'm fairly certain that's was you. Apologies if it was not, again, I will have to wait.

I wasn't aware you felt that way, sorry that you have a more narrow view of prog.

With the proliferation of the internet, etc. it is easy to find most anything you want.

Sure you may be able to find Chicago, but try to find non-commercial Chicago on the airwaves. I think it has a home here, especially if the Program Director says so.

But at least you find some stuff you like, that is a good thing.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Patron

I have to agree with Mossy on this one, although Chicago is a great band I am not sure I would include it in the Moon library. I am also a Blood Sweat and Tears fan and although there is a lot of there stuff that could work on the moon, I see them more as a R&B band more than a prog band, in my mind Chicago falls into the same category. I would love to hear a Blood Sweat and Tears show though...nudge, nudge, wink, wink
Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 PM

Early in this discussion (before Jim made the adds) I squawked that I probably thought Chicago did not have a place on AM. I have to say, in retrospect I am glad that some of the early stuff is here. Jim - you da man. I would like to see some of the tunes zipped together for a contiguous (love that word) listening experience.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnardLivesHere View Post
I would like to see some of the tunes zipped together for a contiguous (love that word) listening experience.
Thank you - I got into a little more detail than necessary in my original post.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho92 View Post
Well, well, well, look who fell in the well. (extra points if you remember what this was from).
Bud from the Little Rascals was in the well!!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Can we now have Al Stewart? :roll:
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-05-2008, 03:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to carlos77

I REALLY LOVE CHICAGO...For my age I discovered the pop era first...but by a mile their early work is their best. I like Chicago albums from CTA to VII, but to be honest the only material that has to be considered prog should be their first three albums...and some tracks...for instance 25 or 6 to 4 is clearly a straight rock song...and the suites included in the second and third are very prog for my point of view. Now their big band sound (trombones and trumpets) must be quite annoying for some prog fans. I understand if some prog sites doesn not include Chicago in their lists. Now If the moon has it I don't have any problem...I really dig them It's a matter of taste
Old 06-05-2008, 03:48 PM

The songs are already here on the Moon, and added as Jim has decided. Maybe down the line the suites will be linked, but that's if there's time.

Some of the music on V and VII (unlike Star trek movies, the odd # Chicago records are more interesting!) are just as proggy, but that's for another day.

As for Al Stewart.....great music but not exactly for the Moon I would imagine. Just a litttttttle bit different than early Chicago.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:10 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
The songs are already here on the Moon, and added as Jim has decided. Maybe down the line the suites will be linked, but that's if there's time.

Some of the music on V and VII (unlike Star trek movies, the odd # Chicago records are more interesting!) are just as proggy, but that's for another day.

As for Al Stewart.....great music but not exactly for the Moon I would imagine. Just a litttttttle bit different than early Chicago.
Well, I like Chicago too but I find that you're stretching it to call it prog and make the case for it fitting here -- much like GFR Closer To Home and I am/was a big early GFR fan too.

I never saw the Star Trek movies, so the numeric comparison is insipid.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
KeithieW

Now about those Nick Drake albums.....
Old 06-05-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Well, I like Chicago too but I find that you're stretching it to call it prog and make the case for it fitting here -- much like GFR Closer To Home and I am/was a big early GFR fan too.

I never saw the Star Trek movies, so the numeric comparison is insipid.

I had to look up insipid....thought it meant evil

Trek fans (not Trekkies in this case) agree that II, IV, and VI are excellent movies, and I, III, and V are not.

But I didn't make the call for Chicago...my vote's not really that important as to inclusion. I wouldn't be requesting them anyway from the Moon. But maybe a younger listener may get a feel for the more interesting stuff.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 PM

By the way Rick, who is that purple guy in the picture with you?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: