Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM - 81 - Michael Dunford

I hope everyone had a good day with family and friends on our day of giving thanks. I, for one, am very grateful to have a community such as Aural Moon.

A bit of a shock for me yesterday was hearing of the sudden and tragic loss of Michael Dunford, the musical heart of Renaissance. His compositions gave the group such a sweeping and majestic canvas on which to astound the world.

In his honor, I will be playing a tribute to Michael this week through the music of Renaissance. I hope you can join me here on Corner of the Mooniverse. 9:00pm est.

Dale

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Re: COTM - 81 - Michael Dunford

The playlist for today's tribute to Michael is going to be the first 3 albums from Renaissance beginning with his first contribution. That is: Ashes Are Burning, Turn of the Cards and Scheherazade and Other Stories.

While Annie Haslam joined with the 3rd album under the Renaissance banner, Prologue, Michael didn't join until Ashes Are Burning. Although - he was a guest artist on Illusion, adding guitar to the cut Mr. Pine.

You will hear a couple of the tracks are from a live version - either the Carnagie Hall or 2011 Tour. I have also tossed in the Mystic and the Muse EP they released in 2010. That debuted at RosFest that year and I was fortunate enough to have been there.

Renaissance was to have come to Atlanta but it was postponed due to an injury to Annie. I am saddened that people will not get the chance to feel the spirit of Renaissance with Michael. He was not a man of many words and is very, very shy. But his musical gifts speak plenty loud enough for him. Rest In Peace, my friend.

Happiness is a worn pun!

Last edited by OverHillandDale : 11-26-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 AM

Nice and moving ID Dale
Renaissance ever sounded like no other prog band
RIP Michael
Old 11-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Monkeyboy =)

Thanks for the show Dale, I was also at the ROSfest show and I thought they sounded incredible at that show. I've been fortunate to see them 3 times in the past couple of years, along with seeing them in Pittsburgh in the late 70's.
I too was shocked and saddened to hear Michael had moved on to the next level.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Patron

It was really great hearing these classics in their entirety again. I so rarely do it myself so thanks for the push, Dale. And welcome back.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 AM

Unfortunately my schedule prevented me from hearing this show, but I have all the recordings so can listen to them in my own time. I saw Renaissance many times in the 70's with their classic lineup, and got to be somewhat friends with Jon Tout, heading backstage after a number of shows to hang with the band. Michael was always very quite and humble, a gentle soul. He left us and his family way too soon. RIP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: