Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Patron

Concept Album "Show?"

There are many concept albums and one tune albums on the Moon which are ripped into pieces. For the purpose of not overrequesting these and not overboring the listeners this is good. But there are so excellent pieces which "have to be listened" as a complete at least once. Some examples:

Soft Machine: Softs
Grobschnitt: Solar Music
Galleon: The Sea
PF: Dark Side Of the Moon
Canarios: Ciclos
Ludwig van: Symphony No 9

etc etc

So here is the idea. We have a host (it could be the boss himself, as easy to manage), to whom we send our requests by PM. He adds them to a list published in the Forums, and plays on a weekly scheduled show (preferrable on RFW) maybe 2 of them, marking them as played in the Forums. No anouncements needed, maybe just a prerecorded introduction, that this "Concept Show" begins..

What do you all think about it?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:49 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Re: Concept Album "Show?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
There are many concept albums and one tune albums on the Moon which are ripped into pieces. For the purpose of not overrequesting these and not overboring the listeners this is good. But there are so excellent pieces which "have to be listened" as a complete at least once. Some examples:

Soft Machine: Softs
Grobschnitt: Solar Music
Galleon: The Sea
PF: Dark Side Of the Moon
Canarios: Ciclos
Ludwig van: Symphony No 9

etc etc

So here is the idea. We have a host (it could be the boss himself, as easy to manage), to whom we send our requests by PM. He adds them to a list published in the Forums, and plays on a weekly scheduled show (preferrable on RFW) maybe 2 of them, marking them as played in the Forums. No anouncements needed, maybe just a prerecorded introduction, that this "Concept Show" begins..

What do you all think about it?
Conceptually speaking...
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 06-28-2009, 09:44 AM
No clue anymore

Good idea lotus. Very worthy. It woudn't be the longest running show because I
think you would run out of songs in a month or two. I vote 'yea'.
I know I could really enjoy 'Recycle' in it's entirety!

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

"There are three things Money can't buy, Manners, Morals and Integrity." - Me
Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Prog rules, dogs drool!

Send a message via AIM to MrMagoo

I agree - great idea. I'll add Existence - Small People, Short Story, Little Crime to the list.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

I like the idea too.

Add to the pile -
Nectar - remember the future
JT - Thick as a Brick & Passion Play
Wakeman - journey to the center of the earth
yes - topographic oceans
moody blues - days of future past

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 06-29-2009, 06:02 PM
No clue anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillandDale View Post
I like the idea too.

Add to the pile -
Nectar - remember the future
JT - Thick as a Brick & Passion Play
Wakeman - journey to the center of the earth
NICE Dale!!!!!

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

"There are three things Money can't buy, Manners, Morals and Integrity." - Me
Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 PM

Let me put a spin on the idea. Instead of singling out (favoring) certain albums because they're thematic, what if once a month Wednesday wasn't simply No Request Wednesday, but No Request Album Wednesday. All that would have to be done is for each and every album on AM to have a playlist file (.plu I think), and put those files all in one folder, and then on the given day, SAM grabs from it randomly, with some basic non-repeat programming. We might hear Rush's Power Windows, followed by one of the concept albums here, followed by a double album, like The Wall or Low Level Owl, then a short ep, like American Football's The One with the Tambourine, then Aqualung.

I've tossed this idea out before, and I think it has two advantages. First, it allows all albums to be experienced as the artists intended, each in their own time, sooner or later. Second, there's a little programming up front, but after that there's no weekly programming of a show, requests to keep track of, or personal requests to delay for a show.

My two cents.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:17 AM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
Let me put a spin on the idea. Instead of singling out (favoring) certain albums because they're thematic, what if once a month Wednesday wasn't simply No Request Wednesday, but No Request Album Wednesday. All that would have to be done is for each and every album on AM to have a playlist file (.plu I think), and put those files all in one folder, and then on the given day, SAM grabs from it randomly, with some basic non-repeat programming. We might hear Rush's Power Windows, followed by one of the concept albums here, followed by a double album, like The Wall or Low Level Owl, then a short ep, like American Football's The One with the Tambourine, then Aqualung.

I've tossed this idea out before, and I think it has two advantages. First, it allows all albums to be experienced as the artists intended, each in their own time, sooner or later. Second, there's a little programming up front, but after that there's no weekly programming of a show, requests to keep track of, or personal requests to delay for a show.

My two cents.
Sounds OK to me Spaz........then again how about you resurrecting your show once in a while??? I know a few people who would love that......including me.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
Sounds OK to me Spaz........then again how about you resurrecting your show once in a while??? I know a few people who would love that......including me.
Thanks, KW, but I know a few people who would hate that!

Nah, I just don't have time anymore. It was fun while it lasted.

Of course, it would get some King's X on the Moon...
Old 07-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post

My two cents.
A good idea Spaz, although in this way we heare also the 95% non concept albums of the Moon....which is also not a bad idea..

Old 07-05-2009, 05:45 PM

Yeah, that's my point. It wouldn't consider concept albums "special." An album is an album. The Wall and Meddle would be treated equally.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Owner/Program Director

OK, so I'm thinking that I like this idea - and I'm thinking that we will first do the concept album as Lotus suggested, and if the programming is manageable for Spaz's suggestion, then once we are running low on concept ideas we can do the "random" function. It will be up to Vax to determine whether it is "manageable" since he is the one who will program it
Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
OK, so I'm thinking that I like this idea - and I'm thinking that we will first do the concept album as Lotus suggested, and if the programming is manageable for Spaz's suggestion, then once we are running low on concept ideas we can do the "random" function. It will be up to Vax to determine whether it is "manageable" since he is the one who will program it
I'd need only to create a database with the albums you'd want to have played.

If this is to be weekly, then there are 52 Wednesday per year. Concept albums are abundant in the progressive genre, so I don't think we'd run out of choices quickly.

Add: Marillion's: Misplaced Childhood, Brave, Afraid of Sunlight, and Marbles to the growing list. Pink Floyd's catalog is chock full too: DSotM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall. There are some 4500 albums in the library. I'm sure if we go through them we'll find ample material.

Some of these "concepts" are double album length. Is that going to present me with any special program length issues? Or, do we just pick a time (eg. 15:00 Wednesday) and play the concept album of the week?

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 07-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Monkeyboy =)

Let's don't forget the ultimate concept album...The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway! I think this is a great Idea!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudio9 View Post
Let's don't forget the ultimate concept album...The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway! I think this is a great Idea!
Wiki has a list of concept albums; not all prog but, perhaps, a place to start. I disagree with the listing of Clutching At Straws as a concept album but I'm sure there will be others listed as concept albums that someone will take issue with.

Let's see if we can all pull together and get this idea to congeal quickly.

PS. I didn't forget about TLLDOB.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Monkeyboy =)

Spaz said "Let me put a spin on the idea. Instead of singling out (favoring) certain albums because they're thematic, what if once a month Wednesday wasn't simply No Request Wednesday, but No Request Album Wednesday."

I think this is a good Idea and curb the bickering about what is and what isn't a concept album. At least we could hear an entire album by an artist regardless of concept or not. I would like to hear, say GG- Power and the Glory album as much as Genesis-the Lamb, so either way would be good to me. The only problem I can foresee is that if someone doesn't like the album of choice, they may not want to sit thru the whole album but the saying goes, you can't please everybody 100% of the time.
I really think this is a great Idea, I love hearing entire albums.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Prog rules, dogs drool!

Send a message via AIM to MrMagoo

TSO - Beethoven's Last Night
Mozart - Symphony 40 & 41
Mastermind, Rhapsody & Ayreon - any
Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition
Triumvirat - Pompeii & Spartacus
Uriah Heep - especially Demons & Wizards
Old 07-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Some of these "concepts" are double album length. Is that going to present me with any special program length issues? Or, do we just pick a time (eg. 15:00 Wednesday) and play the concept album of the week?
My suggestion would be to pick one or two concept album (single or double) and play it at a fixed show time on Wednesday, regardless of the length. After concept album(s) is (are) played, back to normal RFW..

Regarding the starting time on Wednesday why don't we make a poll? The winning time is where most votes are around, e.g. voter for 2, 3 and 4 pm summing up 15, votes for 3, 4 and 5 pm summing up 12. The first wins and show begins at 3 pm.. (I hope you understand what I mean)

Next question is how do we collect the actual names of the concept albums so that Vax can put them into a PL? I would volunteer to write the together based on a forum thread in a Excel File (Vax would love it) and send the actualized list on a regular basis to Vax.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudio9 View Post
I think this is a good Idea and curb the bickering about what is and what isn't a concept album. At least we could hear an entire album by an artist regardless of concept or not.

The only problem I can foresee is that if someone doesn't like the album of choice, they may not want to sit thru the whole album but the saying goes, you can't please everybody 100% of the time.
I agree with Laudio. People might not sit through an entire album if they don't like it - I can already hear the groans when "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" or "From Bones to Satellite" gets pulled by SAM, but then again, someone out there hates Yes. So, ignoring the completely opinion-based "let's play this album but not this one," which could devolved into teenagers arguing over what to put on the turntable back in the 70s, let's just put them all on!

Bickering over what's a concept album, #1: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Not prog, I know, but is it a concept
Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Faffer-In-Denial

I'm with Spaz and Laudio on the content ; my iTunes is always on Album Shuffle - because that's the way most stuff sounds best. Just pick any album from here -- I'll live with hearing an entire GY!BE to hear AWATS end-to-end...

I'm with Vax on the delivery ; play one (or more) at some time on RFW. If it's any album then we'd only need to keep track in some way... to avoid premature repetition.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: