Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2003, 08:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to PlayingTheFool Send a message via AIM to PlayingTheFool Send a message via Yahoo to PlayingTheFool
What Thome Yorke of Radiohead thinks of Progressive Rock

An interview with Thom from Mojo magazine:

"QUESTION:
This is to follow up Mojo man Andrew Male's query about prog-rock favourites; would any Radiohead member like to provide comments for a feature I'm writing for the same Mojo issue; do 'prog-rock' values still hold their ground in the contemporary era? What is it about prog-rock that still appeals, despite it being widely treated as a genre for losers, geeks, whathaveyou? I'd really appreciate some feedback from a band with their feet so firmly rooted in 2001, yet with some connectivity to the prog spirit. Thanks

ANSWER:
prog rock is sad. and krautrock is not prog rock is more punk. queen were not prog rock. the were camp and not serious or shite enough. pink floyd moved to slow to be prog rock. certain areas of electronica smell of prog occasionally, i try not to notice. those who thought prog rock was like jazz are deluded. i dont know what prog rock is. never did. just because you change time signature a couple of times doesnt mean you is singing abou the fairies in the woods does it? were genesis prog rock? when peter gabriel put a flower round his head and kicked a bass drum was that prog? i have no connectivity with anything prog whatsoever except maybe that last bit about the flower and the kick drum and peter gabriel. "

So, what do you guys think?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Canterbury_Scene/
Old 09-22-2003, 10:49 PM

I like how he said he doesn't know what prog rock is right after he declared Queen and Pink Floyd not prog.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:24 AM
KeithieW

Radiohead

I've always felt a bit out on a limb here in the UK as what seems like the only person who doesn't wet themselves at the mere mention of Radiohead.

I've always thought of them as a bit, er, what's the word I'm looking for.......shite.

Never trust the opinion of a man who can't spell Tom!!
Old 09-23-2003, 06:56 AM

Thome foolery

If I ignore his senseless meandering about fairies and kicking bass drums I take his response to be the same as we have all concluded: prog. rock is hard to define. His response is also an excellent example as to why musicians should stick to making music and not commenting on it.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:56 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Heh - just because you can crank out a few chords on your guitar doesn't mean you're a musician.

It just cracks me up to hear rock musicians today wail on prog rock. It's like they've been programmed by the punk era to hate anything that's different than the established norm. You would think they would embrace all the wild direction prog goes, and admire the originality and musicianship - but alas, no.

Thom talks about singing about fairies - well wake up! In the late 60s, it was all about fairies! Just like today it's fashionable to sing about your pathetic life and feelings in today's hard, cruel world. Pink Floyd too slow? That just doesn't make any sense.

Just dumb.

Avian
Old 09-23-2003, 08:50 AM

YAWN

Whatever.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Is someone talking?
Have another joint.

I can't say I've ever heard a Radiohead song. I must be a nun.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:37 AM
KeithieW

Re: YAWN

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
Whatever.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Is someone talking?
Have another joint.

I can't say I've ever heard a Radiohead song. I must be a nun.
LMAO.......

If you're a nun there's hope for the world.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:51 AM

funny

Funny, but I remember reading the Entertainment Weekly review of AMNESIAC and the reviewer talked more about Yes than Radiohead. He said Yes were great, but pushed their fans' loyalty just a little too far with TALES and were never the same since. He said that Radiohead has done the same thing. After wowing us all with OK COMPUTER and then pushing the envelope with KID A, they pushed the envelope just a little too far on AMNESIAC and he wondered if they'd ever be the same. He cited other examples of artists going too far, like Joni Mitchell's jazz album, but he said he used Yes because, and I quote, "Radiohead are prog-heads at heart."

I think Radiohead likes prog, but they have an image to maintain (it's all about image), and therefore are constrained from admitting they like it.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:07 AM

Excellent point

Fantastic example of how you can find anything to refute what someone says.

That Joni Mitchell line is ignorant with a capital A! If a tribute to Mingus is going too far, keep going!!!!

Nice research, Yesspaz - "Image is Everything"!

Maybe our Radiohead friend actually was AMNESIAC.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:13 AM
KeithieW

Re: Excellent point

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
Maybe our Radiohead friend actually was AMNESIAC.
Hey!!! I was going to say that but I forgot.

Anyway......to make the point again Radiohead are Shite!!! Haven't heard a thing that I like.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Owner/Program Director

I actually like some of Radiohead's stuff a bit, but, c'mon - they're not musical gods or anything. Anyone who takes them too seriously is barking up the wrong tree. And, Thom has his head a little too far up his ass to be so concerned about image...
Old 09-23-2003, 01:58 PM

Put me in the, "not sure what all the fuss about Radiohead" is category. Extremely overrated, IMO. Give me Porcupine Tree anyday over Radiohead.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:40 PM

Radiohead rock, I don't think there's any doubt about their talent. I remember being mesmerized the first time I heard them. But just because this Thom dude has the weight of popular opinion behind him doesn't make his musical opinions all that insightful. Anybody here could inform him as to what progressive rock is.(King Krimson are among the best and they are further away from tea and elves and Tolkeinism than Radiohead any time). As cool as Radiohead is they are hardly in the same league as Genesis, Gabriel, Yes, Tull, ELP, Gentle Giant etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: