Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2003, 08:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Re: Glass Fans of the world unite!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Waye

The Violin concerto is beautiful. His adaptation of David Bowie's music in the Low and Heroes symphonies are amazing and if you really want to get blown away get hold of:

"the CIVIL warS - a tree is best measured when it is down; Act V - The Rome Section." Unbelievable!!!!!

Other film soundtracks I've got include Powaqqatsi and Kundun.

I haven't checked out which song from the request list actually played, but I can guess it was from "Music In Twelve Parts" or some similar work from early on in Glass's career. Keith's suggestions of great Glass music all stem from his work after "Einstein On The Beach," his first major opera, which also contained quite a bit of the repetitive music heard in "Number Five." Despite the importance of "Einstein" and "Twelve Parts" in the development of Glass's style, I don't think they ever need to be listened to in their entirety. While Glass has never been or never will be traditionally classical, his post-1970's works are infinitesimally more accessible than anything he did before that period. It's like apples to oranges. Symphonies 2 and 3, "1000 Airplanes On The Roof," "Glasspieces," and "Satyagraha" are some more excellent examples of his work, but they are indeed, not for everyone.

Another fan of PG (the other one),
Old 06-30-2003, 10:27 AM

for those of you that don't enjoy PG(and those of you that do!), you might try John Adams, especially Harmonium (ECM 1277). really fabulous stuff, taking minimalism and imbuing it with a melodic sense, full of dynamic, textural, and emotional shifts. His treatment of Emily Dickinson's Wild Nights, is nothing short of incredible.
well, at least I like it...

so much music, so little time and money...
Old 06-30-2003, 11:34 AM

Re: Re: Glass Fans of the world unite!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave

I haven't checked out which song from the request list actually played, but I can guess it was from "Music In Twelve Parts" or some similar work from early on in Glass's career.

Another fan of PG (the other one),
It was called Part 5.

It was actually quite pleasant, if unimaginative, for the first 30-40 secs. Then it started getting boring because it just repeated over and over. By the end of the second minute it was really grating hearing the same thing over and over and before it was half way through it just sounded hair-pullingly, cut my ears off bad simply by being the same thing, that wasn't that good in the first place, and repeating it over and over again.

An aural equivalent of the chinese Drip Torture.

For all I know he's done some good stuff. For all I know this doesn't sound bad when it's used as a movie soundtrack.

As a piece of stand-alone music for listening to, though, I didn't notice any redeeming qualities after the first 30 secs.

NEIL
:-<|}
Old 07-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Owner/Program Director

Music in Twelve Parts is BY FAR the most repetitive of Philip Glass' works.

I'm still in the process of discovering which of his works to purchase for myself, as well as for AM.

Based on the 30 second sound clips I heard on CD Universe, 12 Parts sounded great. I have to admit, when I listend to the whole thing, I was dissappointed as in many places it felt longer than it needed to be. However, for the time being, I'm leaving it on the playlist. Some parts are better than others, and listen to anything from "Glassworks" or "The Photographer" - I think you'll be much happier.

As I acquire more Glass, we may reevaluate some of Music in 12 Parts and remove some of it.

Keep commenting!
Old 07-02-2003, 11:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
The best Glass album for AM's playlist would probably be "1000 Airplanes on the Roof." It's very representative of his works in the 80's and early 90's--not repetitive, shorter songs (the longest track might be 5 minutes), varying styles and I think a few vocals thrown in at certain places (Linda Ronstadt was a guest artist on the recording).

Another one that might fit would be "Passages," an album he wrote and performed with Ravi Shankar. It's not so much prog as world music, but would make a great addition to a personal collection if it doesn't quite fit here.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:39 PM

Music in Twelve Parts in definitely a challenging listen - Twelve 15 minute pieces strected over three discs, and all have similar themes.

For the record, Glass is a major influence of MIke Oldfield.

Has anyone seen the one-act play "Philip Glass Buys a Loaf of Bread"? I acted in it once and it was pretty cool.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:45 PM

What???????

Wow!

I think the reply could have been, "well if you don't like it, don't listen", Avian - not that record-reviewer avant-garde speak like "minimalist, sculptured" etc. Come on! The guy doesn't like it! Why do either of you argue about that? I don't like it at all, personally - but I don't begrudge anyone else's right to.

Roger, please don't tell me to get stoned and listen to something - if it was worth it, you wouldn't need to get stoned. Even flies fornicating are interesting while stoned (but not Nick Mason - ooh, another Nick Mason dig).

Music that really gets on my nerves is bands that try to do too much - I saw again Land of Chocolate as an opener the other night - that's a good example.

Unfortunately Neil, you turned the Glass junkies loose. Just take a bathroom break next time.

Yesspaz, I couldn't care less who Glass has influenced. that has very little bearing on whether I like it or not.

And Jim, why would you remove parts of a catalogue like that? On what basis? What's left, then, music in Three parts?

And finally Keith, if I don't like Cheddar cheese, it won't spoil the whole block - but if it's limburger, maybe!

Is there anyone out there I haven't attacked?
Old 07-03-2003, 10:35 PM

Re: What???????

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll Roger, please don't tell me to get stoned and listen to something - if it was worth it, you wouldn't need to get stoned. Even flies fornicating are interesting while stoned (but not Nick Mason - ooh, another Nick Mason dig).
Rick,
you're absolutely right, though I can't say I ever watched flies...

my point was that Glass' music is trying to describe something outside our normal way of thinking, or a process that we haven't examined in these terms. sometimes we need a nudge to get us to see things differently.

I don't drink, and I haven't smoked for several years, but I'm still enjoying all this great prog!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:55 PM

Roger that -

actually Roger, you're one of the more measured Posters - keep it up. By the way did you hear that Rich Williams guested on a Glass Hammer cover of "Portrait" at Nearfest? Whoa nelly!
Old 07-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
Wow!

And Jim, why would you remove parts of a catalogue like that? On what basis? What's left, then, music in Three parts?

The flippant answer would be "Because I can."

But simply, as Program Director, I'm trying to have the best mix of music available for the station, and if some of the pieces don't cut it in my opinion, I'll remove them. Kind of like when I add one song from an artist.

One mildly interesting point - Music in Twelve Parts was originally one piece - Part One - the 12 parts referred to the 12 "instruments" used - I think it was 2 organ parts, 6 vocal parts, and I forget what else. When PG first played it for someone, they said "That's nice, what are the other 11 parts going to sound like?" - so he took that as a challenge...
Old 07-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
[b]Wow!

I think the reply could have been, "well if you don't like it, don't listen", Avian - not that record-reviewer avant-garde speak like "minimalist, sculptured" etc. Come on! The guy doesn't like it! Why do either of you argue about that? I don't like it at all, personally - but I don't begrudge anyone else's right to.
Ummm... like this previous post?

Quote:
Except that Philip Glass is world reknown as a musical genius. But if you don't like him, that's certainly your perogative. There are certainly other people out there who would agree with you.
"If you don't like it, don't listen to it" goes without saying, even though I said it above. What I'm trying to do is give some background on Philip Glass, especially if someone isn't familiar with him at all. He IS a minimalist... he is most definately avant-garde - he's also a film composer, 66 years old, yadda yadda... What harm does saying all of that do? It wouldn't be much of a conversation if I just had said "tough!"

Avian
Old 07-08-2003, 03:52 PM

IMHO, the only truly great work by Glass is "Einstein On the Beach", everything else is either an approximation ("Satyagraha", the other operas, film scores and the symphonies), a preparation ("Music in Twelve Parts"), a pastiche ("The Photographer" [but a good pastiche!, or a failure (just about everything else). To be fair, his last two or three string quartets are OK.

LMG

Last edited by La Mano Gaucha : 07-08-2003 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:17 PM

OK, fine Avian

I guess I don't really care enough about P. Glass (had to make it sound like a rapper - he probably does that too) to worry about this post. I should have just stayed out of it. If you guys want to duke it out over him, have at it.

I see your point about using words like "avant-garde" to describe an artist that one is unfamiliar with. But personally, I always felt that words like that sounded high-brow and condescending, like we missed something when we didn't like it the first time we heard it.

Those words also remind me of B.S. words like "important" and "relevant".

That's enough of my personal hell for one day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: