Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Moon O'Poll
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
No clue anymore

stirring the Yes roumor mill

Pretty bored with NMOM today so I did some poking around. Found this in a blog.

Bear in mind This is somewhat conjecture based on a few facts. It's up to you to believe it or not.

Fell free to chime in. I think I'm going to enjoy the discussion.

Yes have been recording a new album in Los Angeles, CA, produced by Trevor Horn and due by summer 2011. The band has signed a worldwide record deal with Frontiers Records, who already have Asia and Yoso in their stable. Geoff Downes has also been involved in sessions while in LA in Jan and early Feb 2011, as well as attending NAMM and guesting on John Wetton's new solo album. Downes was back in LA for approximately 16-23 Feb, presumably for further work with Yes, although this has not been confirmed. He tweeted on 23 Feb, "This last week has been flat out working in the studio - hope the results will be there for all to see later this year. Ciao Americanos ftm"

The first batch of Yes's recording sessions were 3 Oct-12 Nov; they then played a short South American tour before a period apart, and a returned to the studio in the first week of Jan 2011. Sessions should continue through Feb (somewhat longer than originally planned) before the band tour again in early Mar. The final stages of recording and then mixing the album is expected in Apr after the tour leg. On 30 Dec on BBC Radio5Live, Horn said he would be working on a couple of tracks with Yes in Jan 2011.

Release early summer 2011 is expected: Howe's website says "early 2010" (presumably a typo for 2011!), while a source close to Squire predicted early summer. Promo in Dec 2010 for the Nov 2011 UK tour, a separate Nov 2010 article and more recent promo for the spring US tour all report a summer release, but another article said "before" summer 2011 and, in a Jan 2011 Canadian TV interview, David spoke of a release at the end of spring or in early summer. The Feb 2011 issue of German magazine Eclipsed gives the album as due in Apr. In a Jul 2010 interview, Howe said:

We’re planning to start recording some music in October together. We hope to finish up by early next year [2011], then we would think there would be something out next summer. No guarantees, but there’s a feeling that we’re going to move on to it. We’ve been writing material, we’ve been talking to producers, and basically we think we’ve got something happening.

The album will include a newly recorded version of "We Can Fly from Here". In an interview in the Oct Classic Rock Presents... Prog, Squire is asked whether Horn will contribute as a writer and performer as well as producing. His reply: "He may! We've talked about recording a track which didn't end up on Drama called 'We Can Fly From Here'. We did it on tour and its time might have come. Plus Trevor did backing vocals on 90125 anyway." At The Buggles show in Sep 2010, Horn said he was going to record "We Can Fly from Here" with Yes in early Oct. One report suggests Horn will be doing lead vocals on the song (David remains lead vocalist for the rest of the album).

And On Another note

Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman & Trevor Rabin
Anderson, R. Wakeman and Rabin "are working on putting a band together to both record and perform" (to quote Wakeman in Jan 2011). In a Feb 2011 blog, Wakeman continued, "Plans are [...] moving forward with the Trevor Rabin/Jon Anderson/Wakeman project which is potentially very, very exciting." Asked about whether the project will move forward, in a Jan 2011 interview, Anderson said:

I don't know. I got an e-mail from Trevor today [...] I was with Trevor last week. He was finishing off music for [...] "I am [Number] Four" [...] We've talked over the last couple of years about maybe getting together and doing some concerts, re-looking at the album Talk, and 90125, Big Generator, and a couple... two or three Yes classics, but centering in on that and maybe... We've written a couple of new songs and... me and Rick have written two songs for the project. But like anything, it's timing. It will happen when it happens, and I'll be there!

The interviewer then asked who else would be involved, mentioning Bill Bruford and Tony Levin, and Anderson replied:

No, Bill's not touring any more. [...] He's decided he doesn't want to do it no more. But you can never discount that. We'll see what happens. [...] Timing... Trevor's got work, Rick's got work, and I'm busy, but eventually the timing will work. It'll either be this summer or next summer, but we'll do it.

In a Feb 2011 interview, Anderson said of the project:

Rick and I and Trevor (Rabin) might make some music together and tour. It's all in the talking stages but if we did something I might ask Roger [Dean] for something [in terms of cover art]. He did Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe so I'd probably ask him. When I work with Rick and other people that were in Yes, it feels like Yes music no matter what. You can't get away from that, so there's no harm in dressing it up that way.

Initial reports mentioned an unnamed fourth former Yes member, probably Bill Bruford, but he insists he is not involved. News of the project first emerged in the 6 Feb 2010 edition of Wakeman's Planet Rock radio show: a listener sent in a question asking Wakeman about the possibility of he and Trevor Rabin "re-uniting to play Yes material again." Wakeman responded:

Just last week, a discussion took place between myself, Trevor and a couple of other ex-members of Yes who will remain nameless [...] about doing just that, about doing an album, and I think the odds are extremely high that it will happen this year [2010]

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

"There are three things Money can't buy, Manners, Morals and Integrity." - Me

Last edited by TheFish : 02-27-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 PM
la familia patron

Re: stirring the Yes roumor mill

The folks at YesFans and PE are probably arguing as I type.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Rick has made it clear in recent times he has no desire to:
A. Record with Yes
B. Tour with Yes
C. Do any recordings with any ex-members including Jon Anderson
Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Monkeyboy =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonoffruits96 View Post
Rick has made it clear in recent times he has no desire to:
A. Record with Yes
B. Tour with Yes
C. Do any recordings with any ex-members including Jon Anderson
Well, since Rick just put a cd out with Jon Anderson and did a short tour in Europe with Jon... I guess he wasn't perfectly clear....

Anyway, I would really be looking forward to an Anderson/Wakeman/Rabin recording, much MUCH more than the new Yes line up with Beniot David at the helm... The new Anderson/Wakeman project is much more interesting to me than the new Yes and add Rabin to the mix, I can't wait to hear it.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM
No clue anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalKurt View Post
The folks at YesFans and PE are probably arguing as I type.
No kidding! The liflelss Koo-Koos must stay up late at night connecting answers to disjointed questions made in widely spaced out interviews and try to figure out what they know little of. What ever happened to wait and see?

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFish View Post
What ever happened to wait and see?
Ex-act-ly.

By the way. I'm changing my avatar from Hypno Toad to what you see now.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Owner/Program Director

Rabin? Where's that yawn smiley? I am SO not interested in rehashing Big Generator or Talk or anything from the era when Rabin turned Yes into pop :roll: :
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Monkeyboy =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
Talk
Jim....you obviously haven't listened to "Talk" or should I say "heard" Talk.
No its not the classic Howe/Wakeman line up but "Talk" is a great album
and Trevor Rabin is a great guitarist....I hear no "pop" in "Talk".
Granted, the first two Rabin/Yes things were more "pop" which I actually
still like but "Talk" has a whole different sound and different feel
than those first two.....PLUS... Anderson/Wakeman/Rabin could be interesting...the only thing we heard from them together was the "Union" fiasco....too many cooks in the kitchen on that one...
Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 AM

I m not prejudiced against Yes in his Rabin era, no comparison. Just something diffrent. Not listen them often but I like them, 90125 more than the others. Good tunes, well written and played.
Pop to me is something very different. Closer to a commercial context, poor, cliches, proven ideas, etc.
This music is more than this. The other we had a nice conversation here about "pop".."rock" etc. ....Anyway, great talk about music..saludos amigos
Old 03-01-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudio9 View Post
and Trevor Rabin is a great guitarist....I hear no "pop" in "Talk".
Right on! Well, "Walls" is a pop-rock song.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r

I purchased the new Anderson/Wakeman cd and was not impressed. It wasn't necessarily bad I guess I was just expecting greatness. I wonder why?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 AM
la familia patron

how about this one Vax?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Patron

Steve Howe did an interview yesterday and stated that the recording for new yes album is finished and it just needs to be mixed. He stated that one of the songs is a long piece on the scale of CTTE, TFTO, and Gates. You can hear the entire interview here:

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/webl...owe-interview/
Old 03-02-2011, 11:56 AM
No clue anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
Steve Howe did an interview yesterday and stated that the recording for new yes album is finished and it just needs to be mixed. He stated that one of the songs is a long piece on the scale of CTTE, TFTO, and Gates. You can hear the entire interview here:

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/webl...owe-interview/
Nice catch magic! Seems like a same 'ol same 'ol for the tour comming up for the spring though.

Last edited by TheFish : 03-02-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:44 PM

The Yes project and the Wakeman/Anderson/Rabin project will inevitably be combined for UNION TWO.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
No clue anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFD View Post
The Yes project and the Wakeman/Anderson/Rabin project will inevitably be combined for UNION TWO.
UG!

Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 PM

Thanks for that link MM, great interview!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: