Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM - #422 - Jazz Violinist Didier Lockwood

Hello, friends.

This week I pay tribute to Didier Lockwood, the other French Jazz/Fusion violinist. He studied classical violin starting about age 6 eventually studying at the Calais Conservatory. His older brother would introduce Didier to the joy of improvisational music and Jazz. Didier Lockwood's inspiration are many and varied: classical music, jazz, blues and rock figures such as Coltrane, Monk, Ayler, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa and Jean-Luc Ponty. The renowned jazz violinist Stéphane Grappelli (also one of his inspirations) took note of Didier and they shared much time and music with each other.

Didier Lockwood's first foray into the music world was in the most prestigious band of progressive rock in France, Magma. He joined them when he was 17 rather than go on to the National Conservatory of Paris. He soon formed Zao with two former members of Magma.

Didier Lockwood has performed with countless number of artists over his nearly 50 year career. He performed over 4,000 concerts including several tours around the world.

I will be presenting a somewhat chronological sampling of his music, starting with a live recording of Magma in 1975. I find most of his really inspired playing comes on the live recordings. The show will conclude with songs from his most recent release in 2017, Open Doors.

I hope you will join us for this tribute to Didier Lockwood. He passed away at the age of 62 on February 18, 2018. He will be missed, but fortunately we still have his musical gifts to the world.

See you on the radio.

d

** P.S. - Here's a short biography video.

https://youtu.be/R4OsEvP5ULU

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Re: COTM - #422 - Jazz Violinist Didier Lockwood

What a talented player he was ... that was one FFFantastic show!

Thanks Dale!
Old 02-24-2018, 07:55 PM

Re: COTM - #422 - Jazz Violinist Didier Lockwood

I remember in the early 90's asking a French guy if he ever heard of Didier Lockwood(Don't ask me how I knew of him back then. Lol). Anyway, he said he did unsurprisingly. Anyway, Didier played with Magma, Zao, Pierre Moerlen's Gong as well as a solo career. RIP.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: