Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2018, 08:46 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM #418 - Mario Cuccio, Jim Rodford, Dolores O'Riordan

Hello folks.

I'm beginning to feel like the Grim Reaper here. Seems most of my shows of late have been memorial shows. And, yes, today is not exception.

Our first artist is Mario Guccio. He was the lead singer and showman for the Belgium group Machiavel. I must confess his name or band did not come quickly to mind, but I had heard a few songs in passing over the years. Through my research I find the group quite good and Mario's talent level is high. He is a bit of an everyman voice, one that is accessible and likens to many different singers depending on the mood and tone of the song. But, clearly, he has his own style.

Mario joined Machiavel in 1976 as part of the 2nd wave of members. Their first album with this line-up was Jester in 1977. They released a total of 12 studio albums between then and their last release in 2013 entitled Colours. Like many groups of that era, the albums in the 80's were not very significant. But when they regrouped in the 90's grew with the time and were back in good form.

I'll share with you cuts from the albums Jester (77), Mechanical Moonbeams (1978), Virtual Sun (98), Eleven (2011) and Colours (2013).

Our 2nd artist is Jim Rodford, cousin to Rod Argent and founding bass player for Argent, as well as playing with The Kinks from 1978 - 1996. After that he joined the reformation of Rod's earlier group The Zombies with Colin Blunstone.

Our third artist is Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries. A very distinctive voice for Ireland and the Alternative Rock scene. I know she was not part of the Progressive Rock scene, but I imagine she helped influence many a female vocalist that are. I have a rarely heard tune titled Bosnia from To The Faithful Departed, then their two biggest hits, Linger and Zombie. That set is topped off with a little fluff and her rendition of a Carpenters' classic.

I round off the show this week with a few pieces, two from Michael Pinder's solo album The Promise, and Alan Holdsworth with Pasqua Haslip and Wackerman on their live performance released in 2009 as Blues for Tony.

Thanks for reading until the end. I hope you enjoy the show.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 01-27-2018, 01:34 PM
Patron

Re: COTM #418 - Mario Cuccio, Jim Rodford, Dolores O'Riordan

Great choices that deserve the artist in memory thx Dale.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: