Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Patron

Another Idea

Watching soccer on TV while listening to a live prog album I had an idea for a new show. Jim asked me to post a thread in order to get some feedback from all Moonies...

The idea is to have a day (24 hours) once a year, in which only complete live prog albums are played. This show should not be "DJed", only the albums should be queued up. A list with the a appproximate playing time should be posted in advance, so that ppl can expressively log in to listen their fav's. Therefore the day of airing the show should be on a Saturday or Sunday.

As this show would play once a year, management (owner, admins, show hosts) should decide the setlist without consulting the masses. In this way there is not a lot of work to do for this show.

There are so many excellent live albums (PFM: Cook; Transatlantic: Whirlwind Tour, Grobschnitt:Solar Music; RPWL: Start the Fire..etc etc etc etc) which diserve to be listened as a complete album, not only in pieces..

So Moonies, lets read your comments...

Old 06-09-2012, 08:31 PM

Re: Another Idea

I think a twist on that idea: What if one RFW a month was like that but not restricted to live. Just have every album a .pls and the first Wednesday of the month was album day, studio, live, ep to double lp. SAM shuffles? I'm down for that.

I think the once a year live thing would be cool, but my thoughts are it's not enough to do the concept justice. If we played Yessongs, the complaint would be, "We all have and know that one." If we played "the House of Yes: Live at the House of Blues," the complaint would be, "Should have played Yessongs."

But I'm pro- this idea. Nice one, Lotus.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM

I agree with the once a month idea,once a year is just not enough.Hey you could take it 1 step more and on no request Wed just play whole albums,there's your time slot.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashback1 View Post
I agree with the once a month idea,once a year is just not enough.Hey you could take it 1 step more and on no request Wed just play whole albums,there's your time slot.
On German TV Channel 3Sat we have twice a year a special event called "Rock around The Clock". 24 hours filled in with Live recordings of gigs from "A"bba to "Z"appa (well, they never played Zappa till now), but Rock giants as Deep Purple; pop giants as Michael Jackson; song writer giants as Leonard Cohen. There are no presentations in between, just the programming is aired and published in advance. From this format comes this proposal.

My idea is not replace RFW, a format which is great for the Moon, as many unknown tunes are aired and there might be one which will be the next fav of one Moonie. Just leave everything as it is!

Just as an additional highlight in a year (or maybe max twice a year) why not make a 24 hours live album event. Live albums sometimes are 3 hours long (like Transatlantic Whirlwind Tour) and you can only get the magic of the (past) event if you hear that as in total.

Please, again, let us have your feedback on this idea. If you have other, different, better ones, please start a new thread!

Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 PM
A Veritable Paragon

Down with it too! I agree with the sentiment that so many albums are best if listened to in the context they are meant to be listened. If they are played unexpectedly (SAM shuffle as suggested), even better!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
My idea is not replace RFW, a format which is great for the Moon, as many unknown tunes are aired and there might be one which will be the next fav of one Moonie. Just leave everything as it is!

Just as an additional highlight in a year (or maybe max twice a year) why not make a 24 hours live album event. Live albums sometimes are 3 hours long (like Transatlantic Whirlwind Tour) and you can only get the magic of the (past) event if you hear that as in total.
And, on one of the 12 album days, the whole thing could play. 52 Wednesdays minus 12 is still 40 "normal" RFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFish View Post
Twice a year is Good. If it were any more frequent, the real Quality Live albums would get played in short order. Then We'd end up listening to some god awful live GYBE album (if one exists) just to fill time.
As always, that type statement is by default one person's preference. Bill's quality album is Bob's overrated album. And yes, Tiny Silver Hammers is on AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:45 PM
A Veritable Paragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesspaz View Post
As always, that type statement is by default one person's preference. Bill's quality album is Bob's overrated album. And yes, Tiny Silver Hammers is on AM.
Well, I guess that means a whole Rovo suite against better judgement.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:51 PM

It's a neat idea (not that I'm always listening - usually just at work). I think a no-repeat rule might be nice. Once an album has played, then that's it for that album FOR THE REST OF TIME-IME-ime-ime....
Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumquott View Post
It's a neat idea (not that I'm always listening - usually just at work). I think a no-repeat rule might be nice. Once an album has played, then that's it for that album FOR THE REST OF TIME-IME-ime-ime....
Nice rule, but of course it should be no album repeated until all have played (and since there are so many and more being added, that's effectively the same thing).
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM

I like the once a month idea as well as the no repeat rule. But no repeat needs to be by album, not artist, as some artists have multiple live releases that are worth listening to. How about the first Wednesday of each month be "Prog in Concert" day?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:36 PM

sounds like a winner to me Diff
Old 06-13-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff_Drummer View Post
ome artists have multiple live releases that are worth listening to. How about the first Wednesday of each month be "Prog in Concert" day?
I think if we did live albums only and monthly, we'd run out of live stuff much more quickly than we'd think. My tweak to Lotus's idea is live or studio, whole album (from two-song singles to triple albums), once a month.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 PM

Well,what ever was decided on this
Old 06-20-2012, 02:06 PM
No clue anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashback1 View Post
Well,what ever was decided on this
Well, my 2 cents is that it should fly. Soon. However I don't have the time to wade through 40+ years of live albums let alone just trying to make a list to draw from. All that and try to balance an entire day with as many genres that can be put together and not get too tedious or boring. NMOM takes up all my spare time.

good luck to anyone who takes on the task.

" A dog will look up to you, A cat will look down on you, but a pig will look you straight in the eye" - W. Churchill

"There are three things Money can't buy, Manners, Morals and Integrity." - Me

Last edited by TheFish : 06-20-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Hmmm, a show that plays whole albums.... Where have I heard that idea before????

Been there, DOING THAT.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillandDale View Post
Hmmm, a show that plays whole albums.... Where have I heard that idea before????

Been there, DOING THAT.

Yeah, but my tweak on Lotus's idea would cover a much broader base than prog of the classic era. Plus, it's not a show.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Well, someone has to volunteer to do it. All the admins and dj's are already too busy to do this.

Any takers?

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillandDale View Post
Well, someone has to volunteer to do it. All the admins and dj's are already too busy to do this.

Any takers?
As this idea emerged here, I volunteer to help, always if we keep it to a once or max twice a year event. The biggest effort will be to find out the live albums on the Moon. Very helpful would be a list in Excel format of all the albums on the Moon, so that the search could be done just going to the list and identifying them and compiling a list of Live Albums together (Or maybe SAM has in his database already this identifying tag).

Putting together then a list of albums to play during 24 hours, album after album should then not be that big issue twince a year (AS there will be no DJing). I have no idea though how much work it is to program SAM.

If it is decided to do a monthly event, I am of course still compiling the list, if necessary, but the rest (selecting etc) has to be done by another volunteer.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM

I haven't heard Jim okay anything yet. Just saying.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
(Or maybe SAM has in his database already this identifying tag).
SAM doesn't know if the album is live or not, but all that would be needed (I think) is a .pls file for each live album, and all those compiled to a single folder, and SAM programmed to pick from that folder on the chosen day. Simple and easy. Well, at least the first two steps are easy. The programming SAM might not be easy, but it might be as easy as doing a clock wheel. If it IS as easy as doing a clock wheel, then with the tiniest amount of coaching, I have no problem setting it up. I could set up a whole year in an hour.

All that is contingent up Jim's approval of an album day, or a live album day, or whatever.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: