Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Station News > Website
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2008, 09:31 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Hackers, Lamers and Script Kiddies

Unless you've been living under a rock in a dark dank cave on some remote pacific island for the past 2 weeks, you know that there were attempts to hack the Aural Moon web server. Apparently, these attempts have been ongoing for some time. I didn't take notice as I've been busy with work, family, gigs and augmenting other features of the Aural Moon web site.

Fortunately, one of the the script kiddies was a lamer -- agieagieyes. He left his footprints all over the place and corrupted an include file which tipped me and other moonies (who were on the site one evening about a week ago) off that something was amuck.

I've been mopping up for the past week. I've also stopped myriad services which we don't use but that Avian had configured when he setup the new web site. If we don't need them, why parade them about for these hackers to fiddle and diddle?

I have tightened up the router and firewall rules to thwart such attacks in the future. Only port 80 (http) is now open for incoming connections. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be here reading this forum posting or faffing in the shout box or scores of other things available here on the Aural Moon web site.

ALL OUTGOING PORT ACCESS has been removed!!! Even I cannot perform certain functions which I used to perform in the past. I must now ssh tunnel all access to the Aural Moon server.

This should also, in time, diminish the barrage of port scans and other activity wasting the bandwidth we'd all rather have for our Aural Moon activities.

So God of Pwnzage, IMHO, you're more like the Lord of Lamers.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.