Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Concert Happenings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Patron

Prog Day 2011

Hi all,

There have been a couple of changes to the lineup so I thought I'd start a thread. In short, Uz Jsme Doma are not coming to the states at all and Persephone's Dream has been added. There's still two more bands to be announced. Here's the latest from Michael B.

PERSEPHONE'S DREAM Plays ProgDay 2011!

PERSEPHONE'S DREAM (fondly known by it's fans as PD) is hard to categorize. Over it's almost 20 year history PD have followed the idea of creating moody mythic music fronted by female vocals and for the most part they have been thought of as being firmly in the "heavy prog" category. With the release of their fifth album, last year's Pan: An Urban Pastoral, the band has entered full-blown symphonic territory to create music that immerses the listener in ambience and beauty, blending symphonic prog with folk and a bit of jazz and metal, all deftly encased in a cinematic presentation with atmospherics worthy of Porcupine Tree. An ambitious work with segments that flow together into one long musical experience, "Pan" is considered by many critics to be one of the top 10 symphonic albums of 2010. ProgDay is pleased to present the first festival performance of "Pan" in its entirety, along with other favorites.

PERSEPHONE'S DREAM (US) joins MÖRGLBL (France), THE REBEL WHEEL (Canada), PANZERBALLETT (Germany), QUANTUM FANTAY (Belgium) and FIBONACCI SEQUENCE (US) at this year's ProgDay, the longest running progressive rock festival in the world. ProgDay's 17th edition will take place on Saturday, September 3, and Sunday, September 4 at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, and to hear music from all of this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 PM
la familia patron

Re: Prog Day 2011

Bummer about Uz Jsme Dome. But, it will be interesting to seeing how PERSEPHONE'S DREAM has come along since seeing them at 3RP a few years ago.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Patron

New news from the Progday front...

ZEVIOUS Plays ProgDay 2011!

"After The Air Raid...is indeed a fun disc to listen to! These guys have melded the '70's Progressive Fusion Rock idea with a modern sensibility of ideas that should find a home with fans of Mahavishnu Orchestra to Frank Zappa to Progressive Metal fans of bands like Meshuggah. ...a complex, record to say the least, twisting and turning and pushing the boundaries of what Instrumental music could be. Structurally intense, odd and seemingly backwards at times, Zevious do seem utterly mad and genius at the same time."
- Butch Jones, Sea Of Tranquility

"One of my most recent prog discoveries is Zevious, an aggressive New York City-based instrumental trio that tears a huge hole in the logic of labeling genres. On...After the Air Raid, Zevious takes influences from contemporary jazz artists like Vijay Iyer, the polymetric metal of Meshuggah, the vintage fusion of the Mahavishnu Orchestra and the avant-garde attitude of Magma. ...After the Air Raid defines adventurous music."
- Michael Popke, Goldmine

"Zevious offer a cutting-edge permutation of that old classic rock stalwart, the power trio. "After the Air Raid" presents...a high-energy blend of sleek jazz/fusion modes, angular math-rock exertions, and a spicy sprinkling of metallic heaviness – challenging without being overtaxing, thoroughly modern without renouncing old-school progressive rock influences. In spite of its innovative potential, Zevious' music is not meant to be abrasive or forbidding. Its power lies in its ability to keep the listener on their toes, though without wearying them out with a relentless barrage of wildly clashing sounds. ...they pack more twists and turns in their limited running time than many so-called `epics', though without descending into the excesses to which the more experimental prog acts are often prone. ...definitely an excellent effort from one of the most promising bands on the current progressive rock scene. A stunning melting pot of diverse influences and creative ideas, "After the Air Raid" is highly recommended to anyone with a keen interest in genuinely progressive music."
- Raffaella Berry, Progressor

With influences ranging from Magma to the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Meshuggah, we are happy to present one of the most distinctive up-and-coming bands on the modern instrumental prog scene.

ZEVIOUS (US) joins PERSEPHONE'S DREAM (US), MÖRGLBL (France), THE REBEL WHEEL (Canada), PANZERBALLETT (Germany), QUANTUM FANTAY (Belgium) and FIBONACCI SEQUENCE (US) at this year's ProgDay, the longest running progressive rock festival in the world. ProgDay's 17th edition will take place on Saturday, September 3, and Sunday, September 4 at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, and to hear music from all of this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Patron

another band announcement:

THE TEA CLUB At ProgDay 2011!

After years of teaching themselves to write and play, brothers PATRICK and DAN McGOWAN founded THE TEA CLUB in the fall of 2003. Over time and through the release of four EPs, the band worked, morphed and grew, culminating in their full-length debut, General Winter's Secret Museum. It was considered by many to be one of the highlights of 2008.

THE TEA CLUB took things to another level with Rabbit, an album that made many Best of 2010 lists. With comparisons being made to bands like PINEAPPLE THIEF, OCEANSIZE and RADIOHEAD, THE TEA CLUB present a mysterious, intimate and passionate mix of post-rock, alternative and progressive rock. Their unique voice crafts a fresh take on a classic sound.

THE TEA CLUB (US) joins ZEVIOUS (US), PERSEPHONE'S DREAM (US), MÖRGLBL (France), THE REBEL WHEEL (Canada), PANZERBALLETT (Germany), QUANTUM FANTAY (Belgium) and FIBONACCI SEQUENCE (US) at this year's ProgDay, the longest running progressive rock festival in the world. ProgDay's 17th edition will take place on Saturday, September 3, and Sunday, September 4 at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, and to hear music from all of this year's bands, please visit us at www.progday.net.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:00 PM
la familia patron

2 Weeks !!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:27 PM

Tomorrow about this time DangerBoy will be buying me a beer!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:39 PM
la familia patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrplayer View Post
Tomorrow about this time DangerBoy will be buying me a beer!
The guy is going to go broke.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Are you already there, Kurt?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:24 PM
la familia patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrplayer View Post
Are you already there, Kurt?
Been here since yesterday. Been all over the place. I'm ready to rock! Oh, and drink.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 AM
la familia patron

Fun was had by all. Stand outs for me were. Freak Kitchen, Panzerballett, Mörglbl and Persephone's Dream. Great to see fellow Moonies. Warr, I have your camera.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:10 AM
KeithieW

Sounds like a good time.

How were Quantum Fantay? They played a great set at Summer's End a few years back. Nice guys too.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 PM
la familia patron

KW. Here's the ProgDay post. Irene Cancels Quantum Fantay...
Freak Kitchen Steps Up! Way too much fun KW.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the camera rescue Kurt! If you have paypal pm me your email and I will send you some $$$ to cover mailing me back my camera.

Dave
Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

I hope you all wore your Aural Moon T-shirts for prog day!...
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 09-08-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
I hope you all wore your Aural Moon T-shirts for prog day!...
And that you took pictures in your Aural Moon shirts - and will post them to the Aural Moon T-shirt wearing thread!

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM
la familia patron

As far as I could see at ProgDay, I was the only one wearing a Aural Moon shirt.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: