Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Station News > Website
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2008, 10:39 AM

Re: Hackers, Lamers and Script Kiddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Unless you've been living under a rock in a dark dank cave on some remote pacific island for the past 2 weeks, you know that there were attempts to hack the Aural Moon web server. Apparently, these attempts have been ongoing for some time. I didn't take notice as I've been busy with work, family, gigs and augmenting other features of the Aural Moon web site.

Fortunately, one of the the script kiddies was a lamer -- agieagieyes. He left his footprints all over the place and corrupted an include file which tipped me and other moonies (who were on the site one evening about a week ago) off that something was amuck.

I've been mopping up for the past week. I've also stopped myriad services which we don't use but that Avian had configured when he setup the new web site. If we don't need them, why parade them about for these hackers to fiddle and diddle?

I have tightened up the router and firewall rules to thwart such attacks in the future. Only port 80 (http) is now open for incoming connections. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be here reading this forum posting or faffing in the shout box or scores of other things available here on the Aural Moon web site.

ALL OUTGOING PORT ACCESS has been removed!!! Even I cannot perform certain functions which I used to perform in the past. I must now ssh tunnel all access to the Aural Moon server.

This should also, in time, diminish the barrage of port scans and other activity wasting the bandwidth we'd all rather have for our Aural Moon activities.

So God of Pwnzage, IMHO, you're more like the Lord of Lamers.
Here's the original post...thread back on track - to all please go back to the 11th of April and prior to read all information connected to this thread. Any posts on the 12th to now constitute a commercial advertisement, unpaid by any particular interest group.

(amended, forgot about Pulp Fiction - never saw it, that may be lumped in also)
Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 AM

Vax Thanks for being the watcher of the moon .The best site out there for us prog junkies. I am sure you have better things to do with your time, everything you do here is very appreciated.Next time I see you the drinks are on me
Old 04-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
I have always been an Al Gore fan. Even though no politician is perfect, and most are not even close, I have admired his positions. I always thought this statement was wrong - I can't believe someone would be as stupid as to say something so blatantly false, and it turns out he never did. I'd never checked before, and I finally decided to.

Follow these links and you will see how the words were taken out of context. Agreed, the context is somewhat self-serving, but I don't believe most of what politicians say anyway.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

http://www.sethf.com/gore/

Before you say I selectively picked these links, bear in mind that the first page when I googled it all defended the misquote.
OK, since we're already having this discussion.

I cannot fathom how snopes can say "false", then print a QUOTE from Al Gore that says (again I QUOTE) "I took the initiative in creating the internet." Huh? Al Gore said he created the internet. That is not an opinion, an interpretation, or supposition. It is a fact. Saying that he didn't mean it that way IS an interpretation, and it may even be accurate. I don't know or care. But he did say it.

I am not going to go into my opinions on Al Gore, as that is probably TOO far down the politics path. (And I don't mean to censor any topics - if people want to discuss politics, go ahead.... )

And for the record, his science on "global warming" is suspect at best. We may be experiencing global warming, but we do not have enough understanding of the macro picture of climatic variations to say so with certainty. Anyone who says we do has a political agenda. I don't go on about this a lot, even though as a scientist it drives me nuts, since most of the things people are suggesting be done to combat it are probably good things anyway.

there.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:06 AM

I closed off my end of the discussion a few posts ago by copying the original thread....and subsequently some outside of the Moon things have happened that will divert me away from a meaningful discussion.

Hopefully at some point we'll see each other and maybe even discuss some of this, but I'm not up for it now...just don't have the time...thanks for replying though.