Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2001, 06:03 PM

Were You Impressed?

A hopefully non-controversial thread. One that hopefully will get a pile of response.

When typing up a reply earlier, I made comment on concerts and
festivals that I'd been to over the years. It made me think of the artists and bands that their live performance put me off them and the ones where their live performance drew me to them.

I could list quite a few but here are just a couple.

1. Meatloaf. I had all his albums and playing Bat Out Of Hell to death until I saw him live. Pretty grim. Nothing like how is studio albums portrayed. One performance to forget. Well he did have a pot on a broken leg at the time.

2. Todd Rundgren. I knew of him but knew little of him. He came on as the act before Led Zep once. He was only on for a hour.
I was mesmerised by how good this guy was. Brilliant performer.
Later I bought his albums.

3. My third one is not a for or against, it is more of a comment. I
have seen Barclay James Harvest some 5 times. Their studio albums can be a bit dreary. Actually not that good at all. But by crikey - what a live band.

Well there you go.

Old 10-06-2001, 08:54 AM

17 views and not a single reply.

errr I dunno Guv - I onnie go see Yes. The best ya know.

errr I dunno either - onnie seen Genesis. The best ya know.

Floyd ya know - Got all their albums Guv. The best ya know.

errr and den at evvry chance I get I rant n rave how great
they are. I get tuppence evvry time I say it. Gunna get a car
wi' money I make.

Old 10-06-2001, 11:21 AM
Fossils are Rock!

Good thread idea.

I saw Jean-Luc Ponty with Al Dimeola years ago with out knowing much about them, except their names. Fantastic show! Now a confirmed JLP fan.

Joe Satriani was a favorite before I saw him in concert. After seeing him live in a small (1000 seat) theater, I can't hear Satriani-esque (especially Bozzio, Levin, Stevens) guitar without thinking of that concert.

The Yes Drama tour (right, without Jon Anderson) remains my favorite concert experience. It's difficult to think of Yes without Anderson's voice, but Drama is a great piece of work. BTW, the current tour ranks a close second.

The Flower Kings were in town this month. Absolutely great.

Little Feat's opening for Dave Mason (I think it was '75?) stole the show. Unfortunately, I haven't found their studio efforts as satisfying.
Old 10-06-2001, 01:33 PM

Well I do not know where this exactly fits in, but both my concert stories have to do with Waterbury CT and the late lamented (I think its late maybe its still there who knows) Palace Theatre. Sometime back in 72-73 or so I saw Mott the Hoople with opening act Queen. As Queen wrapped up a pretty remarkable show Ian Hunter and Mott took the stage with an uninspired and lazy set. So the future of both bands was previewed there in wonederful Waterbury. The second Waterbury story concerns Be Bop Deluxe who were a big fave of mine in 77-78. They were coming to the Palace and of course I had convinced my pals to shell out hard earned $$$ for tix. And also of course Bill Nelson and the Boys cancelled the show while we all stood outside the Theater the night of the concert. My name was Mudd and it took months to get our lousy $8 back or whatever it was. But hey why not stick some Be Bop Deluxe on AM???? I am over that thing ya know.....
Old 10-06-2001, 08:31 PM

Saw a great show in Philly where Page/Plant was the headliner. Opening act was a great female vocalist/violinist named Lili Hayden. This band had the place rockin! Then Page and Plant just tore the place apart. Afterwards I ran right out and got her Cd and can't wait for the next one. I'm not sure if she would qualify as prog or not (diffently close) but if ya get a chance, check her out.
Rush under the stars in Allentown PA, during the Hemisphere's tour takes the cake though !!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: