Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2001, 12:12 PM
Owner/Program Director

Sacrilege from the program director

Sorry guys, but I have to say it - you guys request too much Yes. There's other good bands out there you know - experiment!

(I like Yes a lot, don't worry)
Old 07-13-2001, 10:51 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
I'm a huge, huge, huge Yes fan, and I still agree with Jim! Sometimes during the afternoon's it's pretty much a Yestival. We have over 4200 individual pieces of music and counting (some of those are entire albums or album sides) - do some exploring!

:-)

Avian

P.S. Maybe it's the excitement of the impending release of Magnification?
Old 07-16-2001, 05:47 PM

AUCH!

Blasphemers!!!

Anyway, does the SAM allow you guys to know just what is requested and how often, etc.?

It'd be cool to have like a weekly statistical report by artist, or length, or something or other, just to see who's being requested and stuff. what'dya think?
Old 07-16-2001, 06:16 PM

You are going to hell nt.

Old 07-17-2001, 09:04 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Thank you Yesspaz

Okay, I found out why we probably have been having so many requests for Yes lately. I don't read NFTE religiously anymore, so this slipped by me.

Thanks to Yesspaz for such a complimentary writeup in the latest edition of NFTE! We'll try to handle this embarrassment of riches.

Spreading the knowledge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to make everyone hip to Auralmoon.com if they are not already. No, I don’t work there nor am I affiliated in any way - I’m just a loyal listener. Auralmoon.com is the best progressive rock radio station there is. I’ve listened to progradio.com, netradio.com, Progged, etc. But Auralmoon takes the cake for three reasons. First, they have a huge library and it grows continually. Secondly, you can request songs in real time, which you usually can’t do at other stations. This also means a group programs the sound, not one person. Thirdly, the two guys who run the station, Avian and Jim, have put up a message board so listeners can post what they like and dislike, what music to add, etc. I recently suggested they add FISH OUT OF WATER and THE CHEERFUL INSANITY OF GILES, GILES, AND FRIPP, and the very next day, FISH OUT OF WATER was in the library (still waiting on GG&F). I requested “Safe (canon song)” and it played less than ten minutes later. That’s the kind of station auralmoon.com is. Just letting everyone know. BTW, It’s not only commercial free, but it’s “anti-profit,” so it’s all about the prog, the whole prog, and nothing but the prog. Yesspaz out.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:36 AM

Contribution to the Yes thread

I have a pretty complete collection of early Yes and my favorite has always been "Tales", sides 1 & 2 (whoops, disc 1...there I go again!)
Old 07-18-2001, 04:04 PM
Owner/Program Director

Angry part 2

and you're requesting too much Genesis now too. And just for the record, Genesis and Yes are two of my favorite three bands EVER.

Don't make me turn this netcast around...
Old 07-18-2001, 04:24 PM
Owner/Program Director

Counting Requests

In regards to Yesspaz's question about tracking requests - SAM has some features to track requests, but Avian is the right person to answer that question. But, when I'm DJing, I can see the requests as they get queued up - so I know what's being requested while I'm DJing. And it typically has been looking like: Yes, Yes, Jon Anderson, Genesis, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Yes, Chris Squire, Genesis, Yes.

Here's the challenge from the Program Director - for every old favorite you request, request something you've never even heard of - who knows, maybe you'll discover a new favorite!

Have fun.
Old 07-18-2001, 04:46 PM

For the record

For the record, I'm behind a firewall, and this particular firewall is really picky about anything mp3, so I can't request anything. I just listen (I used to request a lot - different firewall). So Yesspaz is not to blame for too much Yes (if there is such a thing).
Old 07-22-2001, 01:52 AM
Owner/Program Director

Jim's whine

Yesspaz brings up a good point - I'm complaining about too much Yes, but, I've listened to FM radio in the "golden days" of disco - so this is a good problem to have - I REALLY like being sick of "Awaken", etc. But, I also really mean this - PLEASE request something besides Yes and Genesis - there's a lot of good music on the station - I work for free to try and promulgate new, good, music to you guys. And Avian works for a lot less than free (do the math) to host this station. Indulge us - try something new.

PLEASE!!

Old 07-23-2001, 06:49 AM

I've been doin' my part, Jim.
I haven't requested Yes in, well, come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've _ever_ requested Yes.
Haven't needed to.
Everyone else does.

And you are right again, Jim.
I hear a music here I'd never heard before, but then about 75% of what I hear on this station is new to me.

And next up, Liquid Tension Experiment!

Corbulo
Old 07-23-2001, 11:39 AM

I do have to explain my "skewing" though.
It seems that Murphy guy loves messin' with me.
I'll request a song, and sometimes wait over 30min (or more!) (a couple of 15min songs will really push it out) then as luck will have it, I have to leave my desk. And yes the song plays then.

I'm going to hear LTE's Chewbacca yet!

Corbulo
Old 07-23-2001, 12:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Suggestions for Yes and Genesis fans

For those of you who like Yes and Genesis, but aren't quite sure what else is out there on AM:

I suggest:
Porcupine Tree--I heard "Moonloop," last week on AM and was blown away. I downloaded "The Sky Move Sideways" (the album of that song), and I must say this band is unbelievable! Awesome progressive rhythms and lyrics, with a little space-rock synthesizers in the mix, but they also can really rock out, too. You can find it all with this band.

Citizen Cain--Great band for fans of the PG-era Genesis. The vocalists are eerily similar, but the tunes are original, and well done.

Ozric Tentacles--This band reminds me a lot of Yes, in that their music is very spiritual-sounding, much like Jon Anderson's solo work and "Tales from Topographic Oceans."

Spock's Beard &
Transatlantic--Two newer progressive bands that really have a style that is all their own, but who's members are all influenced by the music of Genesis, Yes, and many others. Give these guys a try (more than one listen--some stuff has to grow on you) and you should be satisfied.

And hey, there's always been plenty of Pink Floyd on AM--request till we get another warning! J/K, hehe.

Hope this helps all you prog newbies,

Powerslave
Old 07-25-2001, 06:12 PM

OK OK OK too much Yes...Geez...at least its not another round of "You mean you like Yes???" with the obligatory immediate add-on..."I hate Yes" at least that's the case from my Springtseen-genre associates...so you understand now that there is a station that actually indulges this type of art well;...BUT
my son loves...I mean LOVES Pixel Dream by Ozrio Tentacles (sp.?) and he's all of 5...and so do i for that matter....
I will request more unknown items many thx.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: