Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Monkeyboy =)

Thumbs up Jon & Rick 10-22-11 concert review

Jon and Rick - 10-22-2011 live at the Carnegie Music Hall in Homestead, PA

The concert hall is a medium size venue, its actually a part of the Carnegie Library and it’s relatively old and could use a bit of updating but I actually like it, the sound is good and its small enough that most any seat in the place is good.

We (Karisssss and I and her brother and his girlfriend) had seats in the center section, row L, sooo if you do the math, thats 12 rows back. The place was packed, I think it had to be sold out so that was good to see that people came out to support the duo.

The night started out with a week rendition of I think, Chariots of Fire or something like that. It was basically out of tune and I think it was done on purpose just to be silly....... well, actually the night started out with dinner and wine but I digress....

Anyway... Janeee and I think it was Ricks wife, came out right before the opening music had ended and they were seated in the first row and then Jon and Rick came on stage and the crowd of course gave them a standing ovation right off the bat and THEN the audience sang happy birthday to Jon. Jon’s birthday is Oct. 25th, so it was a bit early but it was nice of the audience to recognize the old guy..I think he’ll be 67...wow... AND Jon announced that he has just became a U.S. Citizen.... so he is now an American!

They started the show off with Starship Trooper and then Sweet Dreams...Well, here, heres the whole set list:

SET ONE:
Intro
Starship Trooper
Sweet Dreams
(Yes covers)
Forever
And You and I
(Yes cover)
Living Tree (Part 1)
Long Distance Runaround
(Yes cover)
America
Garden
Living Tree (Part 2)
Time and a Word
(Yes cover)

SET TWO:
South Side of the Sky
(Yes cover)
Wonderous Stories
(Yes cover)
Just One Man
Nous Sommes Du Soleil
(Yes cover)
Leaves of Green
(Yes cover)
23/24/11
Your Move
(Yes cover)
I’ve Seen All Good People
(Yes cover)
House of Freedom
Awaken
(Yes cover)

ENCORE:
Roundabout
(Yes cover)
Soon
(Yes cover)
The Meeting
(Yes cover)

It was a great show and in between songs of course Rick and Jon talked and joked abit, Rick was being silly....doing one liners but for the most part it was hard to hear what he was saying, I think the mic’s should have been turned up a bit. A couple of the jokes I had heard at previous Wakeman concerts but all still funny..... Also, they were both dressed well, not like their old band
mate (Dancing bear) grandpa Squire in tights.... not that that mattered but what I am saying is they both looked their best and both looked health, Rick is a bit portly but Jon is skinnier than ever..and I think him and Janeee are in a contest to see who can be the skinniest...but thats good AND the BEST
PART is that JON’s voice is PERFECT, He sounded just like Jon Anderson.... Every note was perfect..Hard to believe at 67 years old he still sounds as good as he did when Yes first started AND RICK was also Great...of course, being one of the all-time greatest keyboard players he did not disappoint..he had a good keyboard set up, I didn’t get close enough to see what all he was using but he had 4 or 5 keyboards with him..... they both used actual music, well, Rick used music, Jon used his music stand for Lyrics...
Jon had two acoustic guitars and switched back and forth between them and all in all it was a great evening of music.

The highlights for me were Awaken, America, a reggae version of Time and a Word and the new music like House of Freedom and The Living Tree and the last song The Meeting. Awaken had to be my favorite of the night....such a beautiful song....definitely in my top 5 all time Yes songs.

As for the audience, Of course songs like Your Move and I’ve Seen All Good People and Roundabout were the big crowd pleasers....you could tell who actually came to the show to see Jon and Rick and who came just to hear the big hit's...AND there were some people who proceeded to sing along with the songs they knew, fortunately they didn't know the new music....... HELLO PEOPLE, maybe its just me but when I go to see a concert I actually like to hear the ARTIST sing the songs.....not some belligerent idiot 2 rows behind me...but I guess thats just me....Its such a shame that people in the audience can ruin shows and have no respect for people around them or the artist... trying to talk over the music.....YELLING OUT when some of the softer music was playing... I mean WHY??? I think its a direct result of alcohol with some people but anyway....

All in all it was a great show. They were like two old friends getting together to hang out and play some music.. alot of smiling and laughing...I would highly recommend seeing them if they come to a venue close to you...A very entertaining show.

Laudio

Last edited by Laudio9 : 10-24-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Patron

Re: Jon & Rick 10-22-11 concert review

Thanks for posting... Too bad they're not coming anywhere near me. I was enjoying Roger Hodgson and full orchestra at the exact same time though.
Also a great show.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 AM

hola laudio amigo !!
great your news..I ll buy tickets for JA show next Dec...it will be with orchestra in a very good theather,,which it s my fav.
greetings
Old 10-25-2011, 06:09 AM

Laudio9,

Thanks so much for the review. Very, very nice. I appreciate your taking the time. It sounds like a good time (mostly) was had by all.

Did you take any pictures? Just checking!!

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Monkeyboy =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post

Did you take any pictures? Just checking!!

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Sorry Ted....
No pictures, video or audio recordings were allowed...so...no I didn't...
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudio9 View Post
Sorry Ted....
No pictures, video or audio recordings were allowed...so...no I didn't...

Laudio,

No problems... just checking. But I really appreciate the detail of your report.

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 10-26-2011, 11:53 PM

I'm a huge fan of these guys and Yes(as individuals and not just with Yes)but unfortunately I am going to miss them this time around. I suspect there will be some sort of live dvd release that I can get though. TO everyone who sees them have fun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: