Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Moon O'Poll
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Patron

Moon O'Poll 2008 / RFW

First of all I hope Wojtek appears soon and declares that he is willing to do the Moon O'Poll 2008 preserving the good tradition!!

In order to let us Monies, who are not addicted in buying every new released CD, know the music on the the 2008 released albums, would it be possible to have a couple of RFW (I would suggest mainly in December and January) reserved for just music of 2008? (I think it is easy to program SAM this way)

And in fact I think it would also animate many of us to buy 2008 albums, as (this is for me) I really listened too little to these new albums.

What do rest rest of the community and management think about this?

Last edited by lotus : 10-15-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Owner/Program Director

Re: Moon O'Poll 2008 / RFW

I like the idea but will defer to Vax and Dot as to how easy the programming of SAM is.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Progger since 1966

Not only do I think this is a good idea, but I have always endorsed more specific Timeslots programing to certain Categories. I think giving Samantha the go ahead and play only 2008 Music during any regular time period would be great. It might also encourage the purchase of these new Moontunes as well.....
Old 10-15-2008, 06:37 PM

Timely thread. On show 201 (about 2 and half weeks' time) I will be featuring a chunk of four new releases (see this week's show thread).

Lotus the idea man...
Old 10-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Wow, Lotus! Great Minds. I was just thinking about starting a thread about the Moon O'Poll 2008 to try to get the ball rolling on that.

Now your idea of highlighting the new albums of the year is a great idea. Would that mean the whole of the albums would be played, or just the highlights from them? Either way, we're talking a whole bunch of music. If limited to one or two days a week for just a couple of hours, it would take months to get through all the new releases for 2008.

Here's a possible additional alternative (perhaps combining several approaches would reach all of the masses - since it is hard to get one time everyone can listen). How about we dedicate several Theme Thursdays to just 2008 releases. That way people could pick from material they had not heard. This would, of course, have to augmented with a posted list of 2008 releases so folks could explore.

Okay, that's my idea. Anything to get the new music out there is welcome. It's been a great year for new material. I'm looking forward to the poll.

Also, for what it's worth, if Wojtek is not up to running it this year, I hereby volunteer to do it.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillandDale View Post

Now your idea of highlighting the new albums of the year is a great idea. Would that mean the whole of the albums would be played, or just the highlights from them?
Although I'm not certain that the risks to the artist outweigh the benefits, I've been asked not to play certain releases in their entirety. In the future, I will ask the artist directly if I want to air all of a release. Otherwise, we should leave that one alone.

Thanks, Dale, with yours, Lotus, and the Polish Prince's help, 2008 should be a fine show.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
I like the idea but will defer to Vax and Dot as to how easy the programming of SAM is.
As long as the year is added, and added properly, when Jim adds to the library, this should be easily doable.

Some time ago, I rewrote the "Playlist/Request" module to allow displaying a longer list of selections and I also added additional search criteria; specifically, year. A recent query tells me there are 1067 tracks marked 2008. You too, moonies, can do the same query using the "Playlist/Request" module. Select Year and enter 2008 in the search for box. Check it out. If there are things missing from the list displayed, now is the time to speak up and have it corrected. Post any errata here and Jim or I can amend the library.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 10-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Prog rules, dogs drool!

Send a message via AIM to MrMagoo

Vax, could you do an artist/album query for 2008 and post it here?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillandDale View Post
Now your idea of highlighting the new albums of the year is a great idea. Would that mean the whole of the albums would be played, or just the highlights from them?
I meant this thread as an idea starter (and it seems to work.. ) Whatever management decides to do will be fine, but something should be done. Rick is already playing some new additions, but with a 2 hours show a week he can highlight the great ones (for mass audience), but the highlights of 2008 for the minority will not be considered...

So, Moonies, give the Moon all your ideas, and let us put pressure on management to decide what the Moon is going to do, as the end of the year is near... And in this case the worst decision is no decision..

(I hope you all understand what I mean..)

Greetings..

Old 10-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
You too, moonies, can do the same query using the "Playlist/Request" module. Select Year and enter 2008 in the search for box. Check it out. If there are things missing from the list displayed, now is the time to speak up and have it corrected. Post any errata here and Jim or I can amend the library.
Vax just requested a Bodin song with this feature. It works perfect..But as you told already, there are so many new tunes of 2008..Many of unknown artists.hard to decide..

Old 10-17-2008, 07:11 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagoo View Post
Vax, could you do an artist/album query for 2008 and post it here?
As you have requested:
Attached Files
File Type: html resultset.html (6.6 KB, 2528 views)

Cogito ergo iMac.         

Last edited by VAXman : 10-18-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Patron

I just want to keep the discussion alive..

Moonies, untill an organized and/or scheduled service is done, please request the 2008 albums..Weall want to have the maximum choice for our votes and we can have it only if we know the new releases..

Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
I just want to keep the discussion alive..

Moonies, untill an organized and/or scheduled service is done, please request the 2008 albums..Weall want to have the maximum choice for our votes and we can have it only if we know the new releases..
Rick said he was going to do a 2008 show. My listing in a prior posting is all of the 2008 material on the moon. Rick should have no problem covering much of this in 3 hours.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Rick said he was going to do a 2008 show. My listing in a prior posting is all of the 2008 material on the moon. Rick should have no problem covering much of this in 3 hours.
I'm only covering five releases, and two are not yet on the playlist.

I never usually worry about what year music is released, just so happens that all of the music this week is from 2008. I should be able to do a couple of more shows before the end of the year, so maybe I can hit about 10 more.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 AM
KeithieW

Rick,

How about doing a couple of shows where, rather than play all or most of one album, you play what you feel is the highlight and/or most representative track from that album. That way you will be able to air a lot more of the 2008 releases before voting gets going for the end of year poll.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
Rick,

How about doing a couple of shows where, rather than play all or most of one album, you play what you feel is the highlight and/or most representative track from that album. That way you will be able to air a lot more of the 2008 releases before voting gets going for the end of year poll.
I figure I'm familiar with only about 1/4 of what's out in any given year, and that may be generous. Yes, two songs from each will be good, but I will either pick randomly or take suggestions for the ones I do not know. plus i don't want to influence any voting.

Let's tentatively plan on the last week in Dec and the first in Jan for these shows. Capital idea, Keithie...

and I will also as usual air the results as a rebroadcast of the Wojtek show...
Old 10-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
I figure I'm familiar with only about 1/4 of what's out in any given year, and that may be generous. Yes, two songs from each will be good, but I will either pick randomly or take suggestions for the ones I do not know. plus i don't want to influence any voting.

Let's tentatively plan on the last week in Dec and the first in Jan for these shows. Capital idea, Keithie...
Rick, excellent idea from KW with the 2 songs from some albums (as with more than 1000 tunes, averaging 10 tunes an album, meaning 100 new albums, maybe you will have the opportunity to air samples from 20 albums in 2 shows (am I right?), so I think you could highlight the ones you like, and I agree with that: A show has to be personal and why not influence the vote, if the voters like your selection!!

But I still think, that in order to let us know more of the 2008 albums, why not have the RFW for some weeks dedicated to 2008 albums?

Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 AM

Lotus, I'm sorry - I was saying the exact opposite of you about influence.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
Lotus, I'm sorry - I was saying the exact opposite of you about influence.
I know, Rick. (Sorry, my poor English). What I wanted to say is that selecting tunes from that mass you will always influence ppl in there vote, as they are going to know the tune you played, while they do not know many tunes you did not play. And this kind of influence (even if you make real propaganda for one Album) is ok for me.

Hope I did express myself now well..

Old 10-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
I know, Rick. (Sorry, my poor English). What I wanted to say is that selecting tunes from that mass you will always influence ppl in there vote, as they are going to know the tune you played, while they do not know many tunes you did not play. And this kind of influence (even if you make real propaganda for one Album) is ok for me.

Hope I did express myself now well..
So does that mean the Payola checks should go to Rick?

Or are you only taking cash this year?

Happiness is a worn pun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: