Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2008, 01:17 AM
Patron

Send a message via Yahoo to Kazuhiro
Basic Question

It contributed from Japan. I participated in AM and two months passed. It is a
beginner of PROG ROCK.

I always listened to the music of the fashion at one's teens me. And, I listened
to PROG ROCK by chance by the friend's recommendation. It was KING CRIMSON-
DISCIPLINE.

The experience was the world that experienced of the unknown and was unknown for me.
I remember having gotten excited very much.

Did you listen to PROG ROCK from the beginning?
Otherwise, what is the entrance of PROG ROCK?Please teach the moment when the
charm was felt.

When I hear the opinion of the world, I am convinced that how to
enjoy PROG ROCK or my knowledge extends.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:45 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to DamoXt7942
Basic Progrock for you is what?

Hello, Kaz. The world of prog-rock is so deep for us Moonies.

The first Prog-song for me was "Survival" by Yes.
Alterlation of the rhythm, wave, and tone...I was very amazed by this "change".
But later I found that other prog-songs attacked me more aggressively.

Especially, Italian Prog knocked me down.
P.F.M., Banco, Osanna, Le Orme...I can't show all of these here.
What an amazing!
Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 AM
Patron

Send a message via AIM to PeterG
Re: Basic Question

Kaz san,

In 1972 was 11 years old and was listing to the radio... I heard an unusual song come on and was excited that music could be so... "unusual".

That song was (is) Frankenstein by Edgar Winter.

Although some of our prog rocker friends may debate whether it is true prog-rock... it is the first song that i remember that was not pop music or straight rock... it was 'different'.

Now I listen to a lot of different music.

Welcome to the Moon.

PeterG
Old 10-31-2008, 07:52 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to DEzerov

Kaz,

As PeterG alluded too, many moonies would also debate whether my 1st different kind of musical experience could be considered prog,The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's. It too was "different" when released. Shortly after Pepper's debut, I started listening to the local AM rocker's sunday night programme, "Sunday Subway" - great name dont you think...featured such stuff as In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Steppenwolf's Monster, the 1st ELP album, 21st Century Schizoid Man and In The Court of the Crimson King (probably the one that nailed it for me). I too now listen to a lot of different music. Enjoy the ride!

*Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought.

*The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:53 AM

Kaz,

Greetings from Texas!

I am like Peter - I was in a mail order record club in my high school days and I got Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene - WOW - it was different - but oh how I liked it.... Then I got Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery - I thought I was in heaven... I love the bombastic keyboards of Emerson.

It amazed me to no end to realize that ALL that sound was being made by 3 guys - even live!

That was the beginnings of my Prog journey...

And welcome to Aural Moon... glad to have you with us.!

Regards from Texas,
Ted
Old 10-31-2008, 03:27 PM

Hi Kas and other moonies,

Growing up in the latter sixties and right through the seventies I suppose I could say I was exposed many different types of different music. I started to find I liked a lot of what I heard. I only started earning money in the early eighties and that is when I started my music collection (Aqualung, Moontan and Led Zepp II where my first purchases), this was the era of The New Romantics, Steve Windwood and Phil Collins released there solo albums. Most, if not all, my friends and family thought my music task was somewhat weird and eclectic.

Just over a year ago I did a google search on King Crimson after watching a movie and found the Prog Archives, www.progarchives.com, this was the first time I found a name for the music I liked. Prog Archives showed me the way to The Moon and now I am in music “heaven”.

Thanks again to all involved.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:07 PM

I saw Yes perform on Atlantic's 40th Anniversary concert. That did it for me.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Patron

Well, my answer to the basic question is similar to KingRat's. I grew also up in the 60's and 70's with Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues etc. From childhood I loved all kind of music, discovering classic, jazz and prog when I was 13 or 14..

As you may know, in that time to be a little different from mainstream was "in", and an easy way was to be that through the music. So my friends and I begun to explore the non main stream music, getting really caught by prog. It was not so difficult for us, as we lived in a city (Barcelona, Spain) where prog was played in bars and pubs.

Getting to hear the big ones live in 74 to 77 in Barcelona (like Jethro Tull, Tangerine Dream, PFM, Manfred Mans, Procul Harum, Mahavishnu etc etc..) I think was the basis to rediscover prog in 2003 with the help of the Moon. After I moved from Barcelona to Germany in 1977, I really forgot about the music (what a shame!). But I recovered from this and enjoying prog maybe more than before..

Old 10-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuhiro View Post

Did you listen to PROG ROCK from the beginning?
That's a very interesting question. My music consciousness started in 1974, so I missed about 5-7 years depending on where you start from, but at that time what we now call prog was mostly common once you went beyond pop music. The two prevalent genre I remember for my age was hard rock and the more sophisticated progressive rock music. Interestingly, Deep Purple's Made in Japan was extremely popular. PFM's Isola di Niente was my first real listen from my best friend at the time and then proceeded to buy Live in USA which I still have in my possession. From that album, the entire first side was incredible to me. The second side was significantly more complex and took me a long time to understand and appreciate.

As with most people, the backlash against prog moved music to a simpler and more accessible form of rock music. I still very much enjoy Dire Straits for instance.

However throughout all that time I still listened to my PFM and Genesis, and eventually stumbled onto AM like many here, and so prog once again is my primary genre for listening pleasure.

For Damo, until I heard and saw PFM's Live in Japan 2002, I never realized the extent to which Japan likes italian symphonic. That was a really neat recording. I have no idea if Franz's pronunciation of your language was any good, but it sounded cool!

Carl
Old 10-31-2008, 10:51 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to DamoXt7942

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho92 View Post
For Damo, until I heard and saw PFM's Live in Japan 2002, I never realized the extent to which Japan likes italian symphonic. That was a really neat recording. I have no idea if Franz's pronunciation of your language was any good, but it sounded cool!
All of Moonies have walked on history each other and I think it's very interesting to hear about it here.
Of course I love my history of musical background and environment. How do you think, all?

Tnanks gr8sho92 for your comment.
Exactly as you said, Japanese fans of Italian prog are very passionate and excited always with the concert.
Very interestingly, some of them may listen, enjoy, and cheer to the concert sitting on the seats, without standing.
I conceive it's funny for another nation.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Patron

Ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for the comment. And, the comment served as a
reference very much for me.

I thought whether how to catch music was different because of the region, the
environment, and the culture.

However, I might have to renew the idea today.

Music learnt the thing visited equally though the country and the language were
different. You are enjoying the travel of wonderful music respectively. Moreover,
various experiences are done.

It is a content that I also feel very familiar.

The thing that this wonderful experience is unending for you prays from Japan.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Prog rules, dogs drool!

Send a message via AIM to MrMagoo

I grew up on classical, opera, big band, and folk music in the 60's. It wasn't until junior high school in the early 70's that I started on what's now classic rock-n-roll. I think my first Columbia House 3/free order was Chicago (big-band-ish), Grass Roots (folk-ish), Rolling Stones, and a bonus of the Woodstock album. Pretty quickly thereafter I heard all of ELP Tarkus, and all was lost

To this day I still prefer the synphonic and fusion sides of prog, due to those early learnings.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Patron

... definitely Pink Floyd's "Axe" from Ummagumma got me into prog. The take was broadcast in German radio shortly after the record came out in 1969, and I recorded it by accident on my then new Phillips tape recorder. I was hooked ... Ummagumma was also my first vynil record, and it's still a favourite CD.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Patron

Moonbuddy of two person further wrote the comment in the thread that I had written. The comment of people of a generation different from me serves as a reference very much for me. A wonderful experience is done respectively.

Person who listened to person who listens to radio and influenced, person who saw
concert, and record. 。。

It is felt that the frequency and the period of the concert are very little
compared with other countries in Japan where I live.

I think envying very of it.
I question you now.

"What is the concert that you experienced first?"

However, this thread might continue through all eternity when this question is done. ..(..
...laughter..)

Therefore, please forget this question. ..(.. ..laughter..)

By the way, I saw BON JOVI that had come to Japan in 1984. This was the first concert for me. 。。
Old 11-06-2008, 09:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to deluge71

Interestingly, I was introduced to prog via metal. As a young teen, I listened to the usual heavy bands (e.g. Maiden, Priest). However, I always found their longer, more conceptual pieces more exciting than the straightforward 3-4 minute headbangers. I was particularly intrigued by Priest's "Victim of Changes" and "The Sentinel", while Maiden rocked my world with stuff like "To Tame a Land" and "Rime of the Ancient Mariner". At some point in the mid 80's, a friend literally forced me to borrow some of his Rush and Yes albums. My life changed then and there! It wasn't long before I made the startling discovered that Genesis was actually good at one time, and that Tull had much better albums than Aqualung.

Thanks for the question, Kazu. Ity brought back some great memories.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Patron

Thank you for the comment. DEL。It is thought that this thing is not an experience of
limiting it to me apparently.

I also had a lot of HARD ROCK/HEAVY METAL in my surroundings, and had those
information at one's teens me.

"What is HARD ROCK that you experienced first?"

Ah let's already stop questioning. ..(.. ..laughter..)

I am IRON MAIDEN, JUDAS PRIEST, BLACK SABBATH, VAN HALEN, AC/DC, SAXON, GARY MOORE, HELLOWEEN, SCORPIONS, and THIN LIZZY.

Ah moreover, this continuation : at one time. ..(.. ..laughter..)
Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Patron

I think that the starting point exists, too though music is considerably diversified now. I think that the thing to invent a quite new music character is a wonderful event from among that.

When listening to PROG ROCK for the first time, I might be a thing to be surprised very. Power that exceeded everything was felt, and it was puzzled very much. However, they were a very comfortable experiences for me.

The experience that all resembled me closely was done, and it was likely to have
visited respectively momentarily got excited by PROG ROCK.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuhiro View Post
I also had a lot of HARD ROCK/HEAVY METAL in my surroundings, and had those information at one's teens me.
Yeah sure, that's certainly the pattern here in the US and I also experienced it living in Italy for 3 years in the 70s. Hard rock and heavy metal are easy choices because to me they are an extension of pop or popular music. Anyone "cool" will likely listen to it. For me, The Beatles were the pinnacle of recent popular music and they will always reside on any device I carry around with me.

In the 70s I saw bands like Boston, Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, Chicago and even Genesis. They were popular at the time and were touring, so those concerts were easily accessible. More recently I've seen Kiss, and Rush, and am going to see ACDC in December. Seeing concerts really had no bearing on my listening tastes.

Progressive rock is not a mainstream genre. You have to have a connection to it because music is a highly personal and subjective choice.

Cheers and thanks for the great thread,
Carl
Old 11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Patron

gr8sho92 wrote the second comment to me. Thank you.

I think this comment to be a key concept very much for me (For other
people). Though other people might express a different further
opinion. 。。

I agree to the opinion that gr8sho92 wrote.
PeterG had been written before the excitement because of listening to the radio. The experience that I look like it, too was done. And, ROCK met meeting JAZZ/FUSION and met SOUL MUSIC. It is thought that the base and the concept had been completed in me. And, it is believed that the preparation that meets PROG ROCK was complete. This is not a coincidence. 。。

Whether it accepts at once if I suddenly meet PROG ROCK is not understood. However, it has already been believed that it was PROG ROCK and a friend since the moment when people and other we met music.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Patron

Like many of the folks here, my first experience started in 1976 with the band Electric Light Orchestra, and the song Living Thing. Never before had I heard music like it, with its haunting violin and intelligent lyrics just blew me away. From there it was a quick jump to Genesis and Nektar. Up untill then all i ever heard was what was popular at the time, Nazarath, Led Zeppelin, Journey (with Steve Perry), Aerosmith and so on. Of course being only 10 years old and being a prog rock fan had its disadvantages, and for many years it was difficult to find any friends into the same type of music, but in the end it all worked out, and i have been a happy camper since.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: