Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 07:14 PM
KeithieW

Re: Birthday Party for Aural Moon......official invitation.

Next batch:
Caravan - The last unicorn (from Better by Far)
Little Atlas - Weariness rides
ELP - From the beginning
Paul Winter Consort - Ode to a Filmour Dressing Room
Old 06-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Prog rules, dogs drool!

Send a message via AIM to MrMagoo

Faff-dom achieved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg andrewm_auralmoon_10th_mod.jpg (74.5 KB, 335 views)
Old 06-26-2009, 07:30 PM
la familia patron

Happy Birthday Moon, from the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me moon truckin'.jpg (167.9 KB, 349 views)
Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 PM

and me! happy birthday, AMoon!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auralmoon 10th.jpg (218.4 KB, 335 views)
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Happy Birthday from Hot'lanta
(and I mean hot and humid!!!)

overhillandDALE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Overhillanddale2.jpg (121.8 KB, 288 views)

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 06-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Faffer-In-Denial

Geeks Corner:

Actually, Murphy called on us twice yesterday (... but we got away with it, mostly).

1/
Minutes before we were due to put Keithie on air (as we were sorting him out for some pix) the 19" Mitsubishi monitor on Laxmi's computer (Which Keith and Laxmi were using during their broadcasts) went black - and the computer went off --- power distribution block fuze blown.

It turned out that the monitor actually chose *that* moment ( in it's 8 or so year life ) to fail - and we had to swap it out hastily with a 17" LCD panel, and restart...

A few tense moments there.

2/

We used Nicecast to stream from the studio here in the UK to the station in the USA. This is inexpensive software and it worked like a charm reliability-wise -- streaming a steady 22 odd hours without a glitch. However, for my purposes, and in my opinion, it's DJ monitoring facilities are not great. We have to be our own engineers (someone needs to listen to the feed to make sure the balance is OK).

I personally hate listening to my voice delayed by any appreciable amount ... and fiddle though I did... I couldn't find a way of getting rid of this reliably .. so if I sound slurred ... I'd like to blame the wine... but chances are it's more to do with listening to my own voice delayed by a few hundred milliseconds.

Maybe the package can't do it... maybe the manual is not complete .. I dunno, but it is an irritation to say the least.

If I can't sort that out before a next event .. I'm seriously considering trying the streaming server built into OSX Server and just using the studio here to do the mixes (although there are some very DJ-friendly bells & whistles on Nicecast - they are negated by that above)

... but "next time" is probably a away aways .... and who knows what will be available then eh?

In spite of those two glitches .. actually the day was pretty stress-free technically -- we got into the swing of counting down minutes until we were live to air (and had to moderate behavior .. at least a little) and the setup was really easy to use (delay aside). I need to try and get everything on the 30" screen -- using 3 computers made it difficult to chat as much as I'd have liked.. as you'll see - there were quite a few open and active windows.....

-----

I had:
A tunnel to the Station's SQL server (to search for request tracks) without having to disturb SAM
A tunnel to the Station for the stream feed..
A tunnel to the Station CLI to allow me to copy over key tracks if we needed to feed them from here...
ftp connect (up & down) shifting odd tracks around (not much on the day)
A VNC connection to the station control panel.
A tunnel to the webserver (just in case)
The website * 2 (one for me one for Keithie)
The windows for Nicecast (3 + a popup)
The windows for the Studio DAW...

all of the tunnel connections are nice and secure!

We don't have an impressive network connection like the Vaxman (that kind of bandwidth is still prohibitively expensive in the UK) -- that little lot above had to make do with a 8000/400 asymmetric ADSL connection routed via a 2-wire combined router-modem and gigaswitch. So we were a bit leery about deciding to download tracks mid-program.

thanks to Vaxman's excellent setup on the various servers.. it all went (from that perspective) without a hitch.. Thanks again Brian.

I had a huge amount of fun, thanks to you all, especially Jim for having the nerve to let us loose with such a dangerous toy

Jam/Iain.

Last edited by JamForte : 06-27-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:08 PM
KeithieW

norcalkurt's show:

I picked stuff from The Gagliarchives top albums from each year, for the past 10 years or so. Listed in order, starting in 1999 and ending in 2009.

1) Djam Karet, The Devouring, The River of No Return
2) Nathan Mahl, Clever Use of Shadows, Machiavelique
3) Transatlantic, SMPT:e,We All Need Some Light
4) McGill- Manning- Stevens, Addition By Subtraction, Euzkadi
5) Deus Ex Machine,Cinque, Olim Sol Roqavit Terrami
6) Kiapa,Keyholder, Across The Big Uncertain
7) White Willow, Storm Season, Storm Season
8) The Mars Volta, Francis The Mute, The Window
9) Pure Reason Revolution, The Dark Third, Goshens Remains
10) Porcupine Tree, Fear of a Blank Planet, Fear of a Blank Planet
11) IQ, Frequency, Closer

So, there it is, I hope you like it. As far as something said, My best wishes to all the Moon folk out there and to all the great people I've met here. Enjoy these songs that represent the past ten years of Aural Moon. Happy Anniversary Aural Moon.

After this we played:

Velvet Green (Live at the BBC) - Jethro Tull
One WHite Duck ; 0^10 = nothing at all - Jethro Tull

and then ... at not far away from 5 before 3 AM (BST)

Fred the Fish - Daevid Allen - from Bananamoon

Vax Q'd
Echolyn - Memoirs from Between

Last edited by KeithieW : 06-27-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:12 PM
KeithieW

OHD's show:

1 - How About A Little Fanfare? - Todd Rundgren - Todd - Track 1 - 1974

2 - I Think You Know - Todd Rundgren - Todd - Track 2 - 1974

3 - The Spark Of Life - Todd Rundgren - Todd - Track 3 - 1974

4 - An Elpee's Worth Of Toons - Todd Rundgren - Todd - Track 4 - 1974

5 - Ball De Les Fulles - Iceberg - Sentiments - Track 4 - 1977

6 - Painforest - Secret Oyster - Sea Son - Track 5 - 1974

7 - "No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed" - Yes - Time And A Word - Track 1 - 1968

8 - "No Harm, No Foul" - Mindwalk - Won - Track 4 - 2005

9 - Opel - RPWL - Start The Fire: RPWL Live - Track 2 - 2005

10 - Penumbra - Bennie Maupin Ensemble, The - Penumbra - Track 5 - 2006

11 - Ocean Gypsy - Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall (disc 1) - Track 2 - 1976
Old 06-27-2009, 12:14 PM
KeithieW

We snuck in the following pre-cursors to Ted's show

Jim's suggestion :
Whatever Gets You Through The Night - John Lennon

Tarkus - ELP

==========

Ted's show:

What Aural Moon Means To Me – by Ted Neil, Texas Ted!

Spoken (Read): I have only been a member for 2 years… but in that time, I have learned a lot about what community is from being a part of Aural Moon. My first song, has the line “very few folks in focus” – and that is the antithesis of what Aural Moon is. Everyone is in Focus.

Song #1 Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Works 1, “Hallowed Be Thy Name”, 4:37

I have learned SO MUCH from Aural Moon as well. I didn’t realize that PROG contains so many fields and ideas. For example my next two songs show that Science Fiction and Prog can combine to create GREAT music. The first is by Jon Anderson, and it is from his first solo album, Olias of Sunhillow. The whole album tells a wonderful sci-fi story.

Song #2 Jon Anderson, Olias of Sunhillow, “Flight of the Moorglade”, 3:24

Continuing the sci-fi theme, come Rush’s classic from the pen of Neil Peart, from the Moving Pictures album. Can you see yourself racing along?

Song #3 Rush, Moving Pictures, “Red Barchetta”, 6:08

And in PROG, you can combine Mathematics – well, not literally, yet, then again, maybe so. We all know about Algebra, right! Let X=X… to begin. The breadth of the Aural Moon library is AMAZING. Let’s listen to a song from Laurie Anderson’s Big Science album:

Song #4 Laurie Anderson, Big Science, “Let X=X”, 3:54

And not to top Laurie, but if you can sing about mathematics, then let the Mathematicians play for you… here is a cover of Frankenstein by Edgar Winter – with their own fusion twist… all brought to you by the 10th Anniversary of Aural Moon! Long live PROG! Long Live Aural Moon!

Song #5 Mathematicians, Factor of Four, “Bride of Frankenstein”, 3:52

While we are in the “having fun” mood, let’s play a couple of songs that are just fun.. no seriousness at all to them. One is by Emerson, Lake, & Palmer (who’d figured I’d chose an ELP!!) This song, has a title that was originally used for an album, but wasn’t released until the Works 2 album. I didn’t realize the meaning of the title, or what it means, until enlightened by VAX on Aural Moon. Isn’t this a WONDERFUL place!!

Song #6 ELP, Works 2, “Brain Salad Surgery”, 3:10

And let’s follow it up with a “fun” song from the latest Keith Emerson Band album. This is a song, at least to me, in the vein of “Jeremy Bender” and “Benny the Bouncer”.

Song #7 Keith Emerson Band, KEB, “Gametime”, 2:39

To move on to a more serious note, PROG has even been an outlet for my faith, as I have listened and appreciated Moses and his show “Fusion Reactor”. Two songs from the Aural Moon collection that show a combination of Faith and Prog are coming next:

Song #8 Neal Morse, ?, “Solid As the Sun”, 6:10

Since Neal Morse left Spock’s Beard, he has not lost his prog roots, as can be seen on that song. Also a song of faith, is from the group Visual Cliff:

Song #9 Visual Cliff, Key to Eternity, “Romans 10”, 6:06

And winding things down, slowing them down just a bit, wrapping them up actually, two final songs. One reflects what Aural Moon means to me… It makes me so happy, that at times, I want to dance… and really, I am not a dancer – two left feet and all…

Song #10, Andreas Vollenweider, Down to the Moon, “Moon Dance”, 4:12

And the final song, what PROG means to me – long songs that tell a story, wonderful music, and EXCELLENT vocals. Here is a song that Jon Anderson sings so well. Happy Birthday Aural Moon and to all the Moonies who make this such a special place.

Song #11, Jon & Vangelis, The Friends of Mr. Cairo, “The Friends of Mr. Cairo”, 12:11

PROG ON AURAL MOON!!

We then Played out with:

Canyons of your Mind - Bozo Dog Do Da Band
Constant Bloom - Moon Safari
Forge of Vulcan - Hawkwind
Anne Boleyn - Rick Wakeman
God Eat God - Tinyfish
Bitter Suite (from Misplaced Childhood) - Marillion
Spirit of the Water - Camel

*** TWEEET ***
*** HOOT ***
A Duck Exploding - Brand-X (for our good friend BMithra)

(for the Aural Moon Community)

It's Down to You - Colosseum II's excellent cover of the Joni Michel song (from Strange New Flesh)

and we wrapped up with Brian's excellent suggestion:

(for the Aural Moon Community)
The End - Beatles - Abbey Road

We had such a lot of fun ...

==== after this Jim took over DJ-ing with SAM - - he'll have to post his plays if he remembers...

Last edited by JamForte : 06-27-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Faffer-In-Denial

We think the played list and the dedications made are complete.
(you'll have to read through the whole day to find 'em all)

I'm afraid I probably forgot one or two of the requests I Q'd directly on the Station ... if you made a request, and we played it.. and I haven't mentioned it... then speak up and it shall be added...

what a buzz!
Jam & Keithie
Old 06-27-2009, 03:57 PM

you guys were great!! thanks for all your hard work!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:09 PM
KeithieW

I just want to say what a great day (and night) we had at the 10th Anniversary party.

I got there a little later than planned because those aliens from the Dark side of the Moon wouldn't release me because Jam only had a fiver and they wanted a tenner. I managed to escape though and made it to Jam's home studio at about 11:10am. Things were already underway and after Jam had shown me to my "station" we started in earnest. Murphy and his law reared his ugly head as the Screen on the machine I was working on died and had to be replaced. We got over that one though.

Laxmi the prog devi supplied loads of coffee and treats throughout the day and even stepped up to the mike to present her own slot. Very lovely it was too.

Getting used to the equipment wasn't too bad but those damned headphones got uncomfortable over the 19 hours we were on-air.

We broadcast some tracks and let SAM take over for a while but it was doing the Moonies' shows that I liked the most.

lotus, eloy1964, Rogor Mortis, jtmccinley, sharcnorris, norcalkurt, OHD and Ted all contributed shows and bloody good they were too.

Jam, Laxmi and I did a longish slot at about 3pm EDT and had a great time doing it. We played some stuff that wasn't on the Moon and judging by the response in the shoutbox you all seemed to like them which was great.

The whole thing lasted about 19 hours and we finally called in a night/morning/day?? at about 6:45am our time. Tired but elated.

A huge thank you to Jam who's technical nowse was AWESOME DUDE!!!! Thanks too to Laxmi for food and drink and generally being lovely.

Jim, VAXman, Dr Dot and all other Aural Moon management for keeping the place alive for 10 years.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Massive thanks to the community for being such an amazing part of my life. I DO love you all and I thank the stars that I found you.

Let's do it again some time, eh????
Old 06-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Many thanks to JamForte and KeithieW for holding down the fort and shepherding us through a wonderful day (and night) on the Moon, great job guys!

To Keithie:

BTW Keithie it's jtmckinley as in James T. McKinley, not jtmccinley or jtmcinley. K! K as in Keithie!, you misspelled it twice in this thread LOL. K?

To Iain:

Thanks for laying out how you guys did the show, good info for muso geeks like me

You experienced the bane of digital recording with the 100+ ms delay on your voice, that's always a problem with a DAW (and apparently with Nicecast as well) to varying degrees, but there are solutions. Not sure what gear you have in your studio (I saw what looked to be a Roland drum kit, I have the TD-20 BK myself, dunno about your audio interfaces), but the best way is a sound card or other AD/DA device that lets you monitor direct off the card, the EMU 1212 is a relatively inexpensive example:

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=9872

To wit: "PatchMix™ DSP zero-latency hardware mixing and monitoring - with super-flexible patchbay - no external mixer needed" is the relevant bit

I usually don't bother to do it with SONAR since my latency is usually < 50 ms, but I have singer and drummer friends that can't even deal with that, so I've used the direct monitor on my Focusrite preamp in the past. The nice thing about the EMU card (just got one for upstairs) is that it has on-board FX too so you can give a singer a little "love" with reverb and delay on their mix even when it's a direct monitor (plus it's a pretty cheap card with good converters, same as in the Pro Tools 192, I've seen it for $79 online). Also the patch bay software on the 1212 is pretty cool, I can record anything that produces sound on my computer upstairs.

Thanks again!

jt

Last edited by jtmckinley : 06-28-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:41 AM
Faffer-In-Denial

Thanks for the comments
(and sorry about the typos, it's as likely they're mine as Keithie's -- I edited some of the thread -- rest assured, we both have your name correct when speaking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmckinley View Post

You experienced the bane of digital recording with the 100+ ms delay on your voice, that's always a problem with a DAW (and apparently with Nicecast as well) to varying degrees, but there are solutions.
What you noted above is different between a "self-engineered live performance" and a recording session.

When recording, I can give every member of a band a different "zero-latency" headphone mix - (mostly MOTU outboard gear here). That is fine, even if I'm one of the players - because the final processed mix is done from a multi-tracked recording (so who cares what delays are introduced by FX and so on).

In this case we were live - and needed to listen to the final mix ( no luxury of a separate mixing engineer ) - and even though I'd set the DAW (and system) audio buffers to circa 6ms - some plugin, effect or aspect of Nicecast was upsetting that by adding its own latency.

I could have added a "zero-delay" feed to bypass this but, obviously, all that does is to give a false impression of the balance (and one of echo) on the final mix.

The effect was noted "for the record" (and because people expressed an interested in what we were using to do the show). It was a minor (and geeky) irritation that didn't stop the fun of the day at all..

cheers,
Jam
Old 06-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Prog rules, dogs drool!

Send a message via AIM to MrMagoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamForte View Post
A tunnel to the Station's SQL server (to search for request tracks) without having to disturb SAM
A tunnel to the Station for the stream feed..
A tunnel to the Station CLI to allow me to copy over key tracks if we needed to feed them from here...
ftp connect (up & down) shifting odd tracks around (not much on the day)
A VNC connection to the station control panel.
A tunnel to the webserver (just in case)
The website * 2 (one for me one for Keithie)
The windows for Nicecast (3 + a popup)
The windows for the Studio DAW...
all of the tunnel connections are nice and secure!
Did you play any Tunnels?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: