Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Station News > Website
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 AM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
Web Site Backup Window

Several days ago the web site fell victim to some script kiddies who, once I discovered they were exploiting the site, retaliated and whipped out MySQL. I managed to recover -- in fact installing some well needed updates in the effort -- the missing components and restore the site.

I am looking for a backup window. I would need about 4 hours to copy the full 36GB disk that is Aural Moon. I would like to do this on a monthly basis at a minimum.

Those of you who idle away your hours here most would be most affected by taking the site down so I'm asking you when you think a good window would be to do this. I would forward web requests to another server during the backup to provide a minimal notice that the site is down for backup.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 02-10-2009, 08:13 AM

Re: Web Site Backup Window

VAX,

Can you tell when the Shout box is at the lowest ebb? I know that when I log on at 5AM CST, there often hasn't been a shout for 2-3 hours.

Would that be a good time?

Regards,
Ted
Old 02-10-2009, 01:52 PM
la familia patron

how about after Tom's show on Sat. night.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalKurt View Post
how about after Tom's show on Sat. night.
Yeah, I have no need for sleep.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 02-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

I've noticed lately that the 7-11pm slot is pretty quiet when no shows are playing that night. especially the old cozy slot or the evening of no request wednesdays.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-10-2009, 05:18 PM
la familia patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Yeah, I have no need for sleep.
Sleep! You don't need no stinking sleep! But, Dale may be onto something with his suggestion.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:30 PM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalKurt View Post
Sleep! You don't need no stinking sleep! But, Dale may be onto something with his suggestion.
Actually, I considered that time after Gags and that may be the time slot.

I typically finish up tasks involved with Gags by about 02:30. I could shutdown the server, boot VMS from a DVD, move the backup drive into the bay and perform an image copy to a similar drive; then, go to sleep and bring it all back on line by 07:00 or whenever I get up. It's never late and it's a Sunday morning; nobody does anything important then anyway. I'll put a rule in the router too to forward any Aural Moon http to another server announcing that the moon is down for backup.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 AM
KeithieW

Sounds OK to me VAX.....as ever the "Mopper of the Moon, Mopper of all" is on the case.

Moonies are in the safest of hands.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Any decision as to when this will occur?

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 AM
progger propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHillandDale View Post
Any decision as to when this will occur?
Let me fill all of you in...

I attempted to implement a Gallery module this past week. I installed it but it complained about myriad missing libraries. I installed a great many that were called out in complaint. As a result, the Who's Online is once again functional!!! However, I had to uninstall the Gallery for now because it seemed to be causing some web site issues and because I could never get gd, which the Gallery module requires, integrated.

The big problem causing this is that the linux OS version on the web site server is OLD by software standards. The installed linux release is 2005! We're 4 years hence, an eternity in the software world.

I have a Dr. app't tomorrow (Mon. 16 Feb) which will carve a good bit of time out of the day. The kids are home from school too for observance of President's Day. I'm not certain yet what is on the table for Tuesday; however, I was thinking about taking the web site down on Wednesday (because it's request free and thus, moonies won't complaint too profusely about their beloved request ability being denied them) to perform a backup and then perform an upgrade of the OS.

Another alternative is to keep the web site up, after performing an image backup of the entire site, and do the upgrade on the backup copy of the system. If I do go this route, I will remove forum, news, and other posting so that the database is maintained in the same condition as in the backup copy. The shout box could remain accessible as well as the request features should the update run longer than anticipated.

Having this site remain as 24x7 as possible has caused a lapse in some really needed system maintenance. I'm trying to keep this community as accessible is possible and I will attempt to do so during the upgrade process.

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 02-15-2009, 12:23 PM
la familia patron

I say do what you have to do, when you can. We can handle the site being down. Really.... I'll be......OK.... Thanks for all you do.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Let me fill all of you in...

I attempted to implement a Gallery module this past week. I installed it but it complained about myriad missing libraries. I installed a great many that were called out in complaint. As a result, the Who's Online is once again functional!!! However, I had to uninstall the Gallery for now because it seemed to be causing some web site issues and because I could never get gd, which the Gallery module requires, integrated.

The big problem causing this is that the linux OS version on the web site server is OLD by software standards. The installed linux release is 2005! We're 4 years hence, an eternity in the software world.

I have a Dr. app't tomorrow (Mon. 16 Feb) which will carve a good bit of time out of the day. The kids are home from school too for observance of President's Day. I'm not certain yet what is on the table for Tuesday; however, I was thinking about taking the web site down on Wednesday (because it's request free and thus, moonies won't complaint too profusely about their beloved request ability being denied them) to perform a backup and then perform an upgrade of the OS.

Another alternative is to keep the web site up, after performing an image backup of the entire site, and do the upgrade on the backup copy of the system. If I do go this route, I will remove forum, news, and other posting so that the database is maintained in the same condition as in the backup copy. The shout box could remain accessible as well as the request features should the update run longer than anticipated.

Having this site remain as 24x7 as possible has caused a lapse in some really needed system maintenance. I'm trying to keep this community as accessible is possible and I will attempt to do so during the upgrade process.
I would venture to say just take it down and do the most thorough process. Sounds way too complicated to work around keeping it up for a few extra hours. We will all understand. As long as the stream's unaffected, of course.

You da man, Vax. Thank you for your constant vigilance and sacrifices. (but I know you love doing it.)

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:23 PM
KeithieW

Do what needs to be done when YOU want to do it VAX.........just do it.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
Do what needs to be done when YOU want to do it VAX.........just do it.
And keep us informed...