Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Interzone
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2005, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cozy
In The Land of Grey and Gray

Hey guys!

Thanks for the welcome. It was a pleasure to do my stint with Gnosis. Now I'm bringing a similar playlist to this full-time show "Interzone".

Interzone represents the gray area between black and white. I "borrowed" it from the name of a recent Gregg Bendian band. I'm attempting to convey music as more of "shade of gray" than pure black and white, and much of the music played on Interzone will bridge those gaps.

The original idea of Interzone was to play primarily "jazz for the prog fan". One nice thing about progressive rock fans is that they are used to listening to non-conformist music, and are prone to having an open mind when it comes to exploring further. It happened with me. I'm still on a musical journey. Prog was one my stops. Jazz was another. What will tomorrow bring?

Tenatively, I'm working on a rotating cycle that will generally include weekly shows with the following themes:

Jazz-rock: Since the 60s, artists have been finding ways to fuse jazz with rock. This program will focus on a variety of jazz-rock combinations, from groove-based jazz-funk, to jambands, to flat out fusion burns.

Avant Garde: This series will focus on artists with progressive rock, jazz, and/or classical backgrounds making music commonly referred to as avant garde.

ECM: Many progressive rock fans are drawn to music from this label due their notable production quality, musician quality, and a tendency for some of the artists to experiment with rock and symphonic rock. All the favorites (Rypdal, Garbarek, Abercrombie, Towner, Tibbetts) plus a lot of lesser knowns will be played.

The Time Capsule: Focusing on progressive music all released during the same year.

Most of these shows will also contain a "featured album" befitting of the theme. Based on feedback, I will certainly takes requests for different themes and shows, and will spend some time focusing on "featured artists" as well.

More details and website information to come in the next week or so. The first show is Tuesday the 15th at 8:00PM eastern with a replay Wednesday at 2:00PM eastern.

I hope you enjoy.

Cozy

Last edited by Cozy : 03-15-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:09 PM

Excellent

this is a gap that is great to have filled. I think I'm going to like this.

I noticed on the last Gnosis show all the tunes were the same year....I guess that was a cozy theme.

I'll check the main page, but you'll be three hours? that's excellent. And any repeats?

Maybe I'll see you at one of the Northern VA shows. I know I'll be at the Flower Kings at the State Theater, and Vai at the Birchmere. Will see Ozrics up here, although I see they're playing in your area.

Go get em!
Old 03-15-2005, 09:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cozy
Thanks for your support, Rick.

Quote:
I noticed on the last Gnosis show all the tunes were the same year....I guess that was a cozy theme.
I have not been directly involved in the Gnosis programming for several months, just helping Mike Thaxton out from time-to-time and uploading a show from DJ - Flip Martin (who might just make an appearance or two on Interzone).

Quote:
any repeats?
Wednesday 2pm-5pm eastern.

Quote:
Maybe I'll see you at one of the Northern VA shows. I know I'll be at the Flower Kings at the State Theater, and Vai at the Birchmere. Will see Ozrics up here, although I see they're playing in your area.
I might hit up that FK show. The State theatre is only about 20 min. away.

There is a site in fact that might interest you. The "Society of Art Rockers" has started trying to book concerts in the DC Metro area. http://www.dc-soar.org

Cozy
Old 03-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Prog rules, dogs drool!

Send a message via AIM to MrMagoo
Re: In The Land of Grey and Gray

Quote:
...fusion burns...progressive rock...classical backgrounds... symphonic rock...
Wow, you're hitting my hot buttons! These areas cover what I call cross-over music: musicians that blend genres. To expand beyond the fusion & prog genres: classical cross-over to folk ala Mark O'Connor, or anything cross-over anything else ala Yo-Yo Ma, Bobby McFerrin, early Windham Hill, some 'world' music...

Looking forward to Cozy shows
Old 03-31-2005, 12:26 PM
Patron

a well anticipated show Cozy

ditto what GOO said...i tend to be branched out in those areas...waiting your feeding that need.

poda

really like the themed year thing, themes are always good.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 PM

Re: In The Land of Grey and Gray

Bloody old thread but I'll add my 2cents in.Wouldn't a group such as Grobschnitt fall dead in the middle of the Interzone?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: