Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM - #67 - Jon Lord Tribute

Jonathan Douglas "Jon" Lord (9 June 1941 – 16 July 2012)

A pioneering musician who's main instrument was the Hammond B organ. His innovative use of the Hammond Organ and new amplification methods brought a whole new approach and sound to the music of the late 60's and early 70's. The height of which was his work in the group he founded in 1968, Deep Purple.

But Jon was so much more than Deep Purple. His biggest challenges came with his fascination with Symphonic and classical music. He was one of the first to compose pieces for collaborations of Rock and Symphonies. He continued that work on his own after Deep Purple broke up until today. He was working on new projects even up to this death.

For this show I have found some deep cuts that show off his skills. The tracks come from some early Deep Purple albums, as well as some live and recent solo releases. I even have a radio interview he did when he released his solo album "Before I Forget."

I hope you can stop by for this tribute to a great musician, even if he wasn't completely Prog. But he was tryin'.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 AM

Re: COTM - #67 - Jon Lord Tribute

Great stuff. Deep Purple was part of that amazing Class of 1969 with Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, The Allman Brothers Band, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Black Sabbath, Brownsville Station, Chicago, Egg, etc. etc. etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: