Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Prog Rock or Not?

How would anyone come up with a boundry of what a Genre or catagory of music is about?

Remember when you could be happy and 'Gay'.

I remember a good few years back, rappers taking the genre 'R&B' Rythmn and Blues for themselves. That made me angry.

Maybe just maybe Britney Spears 'Queen of Pop' is making (dare i mention it) progressive pop - or a load of studio drivel?

So what on earth is Progressive Rock Music Today?

Now personally I remember and still do think of Progressive Rock as experimental Psycadelica. e.g. Sargent Peppers, Yes, Genisis (anything with a bit of an immagination).

I wonder what are your boundaries when it comes to this genre.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Re: Prog Rock or Not?

We have all wondered this at one time or another. But we have been able to come up with one definitive answer to that question here on Aural Moon.

Are you ready to be enlightened??

Are you sure you want to know?

Alright, you asked for it.

The Answer is:

WHAT EVER PROGDIRJIM SAYS IT IS.

No, really. That's how it is defined here.
But, of course, outside of the Aural Moon, the sky's the limit.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 12-12-2011, 10:43 PM

Dale's definition is indeed the one that applies here for the purposes of this website. I'm sure even Jim will admit he's not trying to have the strictest definition of prog on the planet but rather what he feels fits under the prog umbrella as closely as possible. Ultimately, it's a judgement call.

I think the general definition(among many prog fans)has changed over the years. It has had to, otherwise it would just be the most retro sounding stuff being called prog and that would sort of be counter productive if ONLY that stuff could be called prog as well as maybe a bit of any oxymoron(which some will say much of today's prog is anyway but that's another story).

I would love to hear the opinion of someone who has paid no attention to prog since 1977 or so and see what they think of all these newer bands. They would probably dismiss bands like Dredg, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Muse, Coheed and Cambria and all the other more cutting edge kind of bands who are sometimes referred to as prog. They would probably also have a hard time with prog metal. Then again they might think anything made after 1977 could never be considered true prog rock(it happened and it's done). I have actually met people like that. Of course I would have a hard time referring to someone like that as a true prog fan. I for one think it's ok to base your sound on the old school bands(at least to some extent).

Last edited by Mike413 : 12-12-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:34 AM

I don't know how to precisely define what´s progressive (is it really needed ?).
But I do know if it´s prog when I listen to.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: