Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2006, 12:47 PM

Re: For those who have become jaded...

Thanks guys!!If you have not noticed im not a big fan of Big biz .Most of the time i go with the Flow about stuff like this and sometimes i come out of my shell and go crazy.I quess i could leave it at this That was THEN and this is NOW .As for alone na there are still(Thanks to the Internet)bastions of free thinking and expression.I put the moon as one of these and you guys as well .Its always good to find people that think sort of alike.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:28 PM

my answer to such ailment: make my own.

talk amongst yourselves!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:00 AM

Talking Re: For those who have become jaded...

hey ricb, not sure if you would like Moon Safari, but I know you'll appreciate their vocals w/ harmonies. Actually, at times, it reminded me of some of yours. They go further, with their vocals, than any Prog band. It may remind you of Nsync or one of those "young boy" singing groups. I REALLY hate to make that comparison, because I feel MS is MUCH MORE TALENTED. They DO play all instruments as well as sing and they are young guys. I was REALLY impressed with creativity. I am REALLY liking this group. There is a link in Ricks "Jaded" post to the article. About 1/2 way down the article, there's a link to their site. They have one 7 min song available to listen to. It's only pop and prog, but I like it, like it, yes I do!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:21 PM

yeah....i did enjoy them. and i do enjoy good vocals....

thanks for the headsup....
Old 02-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Progger since 1966

whwew......what a read
Old 02-22-2006, 12:29 AM

Very interesting article and discussion. I guess it does boil down to HOW people listen to and hear music. Prog is not for the casual listener. If I am playing prog, the music captivates me and I will stop doing what I am doing to listen more closely. That's what is needed to acquire the taste for prog that's not needed with some other types of music with more simple repitition...repitition doesn't require one to listen as closely. Complexity does. Detail does.

When I listen to music I hear bass and drums and hum along to those parts. My wife, who is more of a Celine Dion fan will hear the melody. We hear music differently too... That's what makes the world go round!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Darksider415

To be honest, I admit to not being a typical teenager. I don't listen to the modern, over-commercialized crap that P. Diddy or whoever tells us is good. Again, let me stress that I'm not typical, before I continue.

I listen to Jazz, Classical, Prog and even some metal. (Nightwish and Opeth, mostly) Again, this may be the clarinetist in me speaking, but I like to listen for a complex background, keeping a close ear on the bass, taking notes for my half-hearted attempts to play them on the contrabass. I've about got Pink Floyd's "Goodbye Blue Sky" perfect on the soprano and contrabass clarinets...

There's definitely a niche for more complex music, and I'll be the first to admit that I'm more than a little jealous of David Jackson, if only for his skills on the sax. Eh, we need to see more complex, darker music coming to the forefront in the modern prog scene, to balance out the bright, airy tunes of The Flower Kings and other bands of that sub-subgenre, which I am a fan of, by the way.

~ds415
Old 02-26-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksider415

I listen to Jazz, Classical, Prog and even some metal. (Nightwish and Opeth, mostly)
~ds415
I always wondered about this phenomenon.

I heard my first Nightwish last week. Have to admit it's very good, and quite catchy. But I can't get into it...yet. I have the same issue with the genre conveniently titled "prog-metal". It's too clean, lacks soul.

Maybe it's the time period I grew up in. When I was in high school (1978-81), hair bands were the rage. We got a lot of residual from the great 70's bands who were winding down (only to reappear later but that's a different topic). Only after going back into the back catalogues did I discover just how good the 70's were. And then came my introduction to prog and fusion in college and the door swung wide open.

I guess what I'm trying to say (in my signature meandering style) is that "metal" to me is just a way of justifying liking hard rock. I make no apologies about enjoying Iron Maiden, BOC, UFO, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy (just listened to Johnny the Fox), Budgie, Judas Priest, and then the second generation of hard rock/metal of the Cult, Queensryche, and King's X.

These are the bands that push the listeners' ear, yet keep it passionate. Most of what I hear (the latest Opeth being an exception) just is too glossy. Ghost Reveries is what I'm talking about.

What is interesting is that people who are 5-10 years older than I will rave about Uriah Heep, Procol Harum, bands that rocked their world at a formative music age. It all depends what you grew up with.

I just wish these new bands keep this in mind. I do note one very big exception - Riverside. That's a band there. But if more groups would just jam out and not try to incorporate every bell and whistle in their sound, I'd like them better.

And of course they'd sell nothing......
Old 02-27-2006, 11:13 PM

Come on Rick you din't like Disco getting on Subject there is one band i really never got into or really went out of my way to even try till they pretty much broke up and that Is Phish.Man now i wish i would of checked em out.I can just run some live stuff of theres and just jam for Hours.Alot of people tell me you Love Phish or Hate them.I must be a tweener.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Come on Rick you din't like Disco getting on Subject there is one band i really never got into or really went out of my way to even try till they pretty much broke up and that Is Phish.Man now i wish i would of checked em out.I can just run some live stuff of theres and just jam for Hours.Alot of people tell me you Love Phish or Hate them.I must be a tweener.
forgot about Disco....check out Kingston Wall's cover of "I feel love"...it should be on the Moon

Phish..to each his own...
Old 02-28-2006, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll
I always wondered about this phenomenon.

...Maybe it's the time period I grew up in. When I was in high school (1978-81), hair bands were the rage. We got a lot of residual from the great 70's bands who were winding down (only to reappear later but that's a different topic). Only after going back into the back catalogues did I discover just how good the 70's were. And then came my introduction to prog and fusion in college and the door swung wide open.

What is interesting is that people who are 5-10 years older than I will rave about Uriah Heep, Procol Harum, bands that rocked their world at a formative music age. It all depends what you grew up with.
Hmm, I'll bet I'm in that age catagory (high school was 67-71), but my musical devolopment took some different turns. I started out with 60s pop rock and surf music. Around the 70s I got into jazz rock, like CTA, BS&T, et al. Then I met a guy who introduced me to Gentle Giant, Genesis, Bruford, UK, ELP, JLP, etc. My musical life was never the same
Old 02-28-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyyyy
Hmm, I'll bet I'm in that age catagory (high school was 67-71), but my musical devolopment took some different turns. I started out with 60s pop rock and surf music. Around the 70s I got into jazz rock, like CTA, BS&T, et al. Then I met a guy who introduced me to Gentle Giant, Genesis, Bruford, UK, ELP, JLP, etc. My musical life was never the same
I was born too late. I eat up that jazz rock stuff. Look for a show in 3-4 weeks on CTA.....
Old 02-28-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll
I was born too late. I eat up that jazz rock stuff. Look for a show in 3-4 weeks on CTA.....
COOL! Where do I look????
Old 02-28-2006, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyyyy
COOL! Where do I look????
Rick might be doing a Jazz show...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: