Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > The Rickter Scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2005, 09:40 PM

A Valentine's day treat...

Black Sabbath!

I can't think of a better way to spend St. Valentine's Day...with a dozen roses, a box of chocolate decadence, relaxing, and Sabbath. Aaaah yes.

Before I hit the new additions to the Moon next week, and there are some great songs to get to, I wanted to get this show in. Methem proposed possibly having some Black Sabbath on the Moon. I'm not proposing additions of anything, but there's enough progressive ground covered in their catalogue to warrant at least a show.

1) Supertzar - Sabotage

I almost used this as my intro each week. I still may....Opera vocals, guitar and not much else. An extremely cool song.

2) Wheels of Confusion - Vol 4

The fourth record marks Sabbath's evolution into prog rock. Originally a blues rock band, they emerged from Birmingham in the late 60's as peers of Jethro Tull. In fact, Tony Iommi almost joined Tull. After three raw rock classics, Vol 4 moved their sound into different areas. Very understated vocal (a relief for Ozzy bashers ) and a developed theme.

3) Supernaut - Vol 4

One of the heavier tunes in my playlist, included because it's a tremendous song with a killer riff. The calpyso bridge is neat.

4) Snowblind - Vol 4

A classic...a comment on cocaine.

The next six are from Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath. Their fifth record, I consider this their most progressive effort. Sabotage is close behind. I've only deleted two songs from here, only just to get some other representation.

5) Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath

Another killer riff. There's a dichotomy in the verse and the chorus musically that makes this song extremely effective. Lyrically, deals with what most of their songs were about - frustration, inner turmoil - NOT the devil. That's just marketing.

6) A National Acrobat

A three part theme, features the plodding effectiveness in their instrumentation. One of my favorites.

7) Sabbra Cadabra

A repeat from an earlier show, features the talents of Rick Wakeman.

8) Killing Yourself To Live

Another multi-part tune, this one's a classic.

9) Who Are You?

I like "Looking For Today" better, but I included this to showcase Wakeman and to have a different sound.

10) Spiral Architect

Their most beautiful tune, very prog and is a rare uplifting tune from Ozzy. A perfect crossover for non-fans.

11) Wicked World

Going back to their first record, in 69/70, recorded quickly and quite raw. A very jazzy tune with a bitchin' solo.

12) Wasp/Behind The Wall of Sleep/Basically/N.I.B.

Also from record one, N.I.B. is really the one I wanted to play, but I can't split the smaller trracks off the beginning. And the live version I have has some offensive dork at the end shouting expletives. Primus and Ozzy did this tune a few years back and although it did not have the guitar leads, it smoked. The very underrated Geezer Butler delivers an intro to N.I.B. that stays with you.

13) War Pigs - Paranoid

For it's time, and any other time, very progressive. Just becuase it's hard rock doesn't lessen the elements of prog. May be their best song.

14) Planet Caravan - Paranoid

Spacey, mellower than most mellow bands! Paranoid is record #2.

15) Into The Void - Master of Reality

The only cut I included off their third record. Master of Reality is very raw (although good), but not a real fit here. Actually, this is a live version from "Reunion", recorded in 1998. I caught the original line-up (finally) on this tour.

16) Hole In The Sky - Sabotage

This tune opens up their sixth record. It's a powerhouse.

17) The Thrill Of It All - Sabotage

Two tunes pushed into one, it's a good counterbalance.

18) The Writ

The last three minutes of this song get on my nerves (the vocal is not the best), but I agree with Methem, who mentioned this song specifically as a good tune for inclusion.

19) Gypsy - Technical Ecstacy

Their seventh record, this marks the full evolution into prog rock. The only failing is the poor recording throughout. Keyboards increase dramatically. Bill Ward delivers a great intro.

20) Dirty Women - Technical Ecstacy

Probably my second favorite keyboard-oriented Sabbath tune. The guitar after the second verse is easily Iommi's best lick.

The next four are from Never Say Die!, their eighth and last record with Ozzy. This one's got some interesting stuff, including a straight jazz tune that goes into a bluesy harmonica-dominated number. The disappointment of seeing what they could have grown into is tempered by the great records both Sabbath and Ozzy put out after this one.

21) Johnny Blade

Loud and proud. Only drawback is the extreme treble of the recording.

22) Junior's Eyes

A fantastic song. This would have been a great future direction for the band.

23) Air Dance

For my money, their most progressive tune. Don Airey on keys.

24) Over To You

Very full and lush, an atypical tune for them.

25) Children of the Sea
26) Heaven And Hell

Ronnie James Dio meshes perfectly with the other three on the "Heaven And Hell" record. Children of the Sea is a personal favorite.

27) Falling Off The Edge of the World - The Mob Rules

Another example of how tight these guys are.

28) I
29) Computer God

I skipped "Born Again" with Ian Gillian, and some other records with other singers. in 1992 Dio came back to record "Dehumanizer", which I feel shows some of those metal poseurs how it's done. A forgotten record but an often played one in my collection.

I submit that the heaviness of most of their catalogue gives the casual listener a misconception of a lack of progressive elements. I disagree, and hope you enjoy this change of pace.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:31 AM

Sabbath? You mean the band with the groaning and screaming backed by collapsing drums and guitars with missing volume buttons?

I never thought of listening to them, so i'll let you surprise me.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hocuspocus
Sabbath? You mean the band with the groaning and screaming backed by collapsing drums and guitars with missing volume buttons?

I never thought of listening to them, so i'll let you surprise me.

thanks....that's the perfect post I was looking for. Well said!
Old 02-11-2005, 12:07 AM

Re: A Valentine's day treat...

Interesting list, with several Sabbath songs I really like; I'll definitely try to be around to listen to this particular show.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
18) The Writ

The last three minutes of this song get on my nerves (the vocal is not the best), but I agree with Methem, who mentioned this song specifically as a good tune for inclusion.
The last minutes would be the best part of the song, if only Ozzy could be silenced somehow...

-Methem

Last edited by Methem : 02-11-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Patron

as one of the few women who [I]dont[/I] swoon over chocolate

i'll be most pleased to listen to the rantings of Ozzey & his crew. Vday has never been a favorite anyway...

you always rock rick
poda

thanks for "keepin' it real"
Old 02-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Patron

I don't know anything about Black Sabbath, so I'll be listening Rick.

Also, not to split hairs but the first show will play on Sunday the 13th, not ValDay, so choccies will have to be consumed during the Mon. morning repeat.

Old 02-12-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mossy
I don't know anything about Black Sabbath, so I'll be listening Rick.

Also, not to split hairs but the first show will play on Sunday the 13th, not ValDay, so choccies will have to be consumed during the Mon. morning repeat.

The ladies have spoken!

Poda and Mossy I'm glad you have no preconceptions...you still may not dig it but at least you're listening...and next week I'll make up for it.

I knew that about the repeat but more tune in on the repeat lol

Now to see how I can fit Ozrics, Vai, Dregs, Flower Kings all into my concert calendar!!! (yes they're all coming to town )
Old 02-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Patron

...."next week I'll make up for it"

ahhhh....on a scale of one to ten of male utterances, this has to be in the top five.

Old 02-12-2005, 06:41 PM

99% of the time.....

Quote:
Originally posted by mossy
...."next week I'll make up for it"

ahhhh....on a scale of one to ten of male utterances, this has to be in the top five.

I'd agree. But I've already picked out the set list and I'm working on the next week. These new additions are nice!

And I promise I will call you, really!
Old 02-13-2005, 04:47 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman
BS and VD... yikes... what horrific initials

If I gave my love 3 hrs of Black Sabbath for Valentine's Day, I would guarantee myself that I wouldn't get any that night.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:03 AM

R&R, i enjoyed the sabbath show, especially Air Dance and Spiral Architect. The voices on Supertzar are nice. But progrock? No. Just nice plain melodic hardrock. Not a reason for me to buy sabbath.

Thnx anyway, looking forward to the next one!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hocuspocus
R&R, i enjoyed the sabbath show, especially Air Dance and Spiral Architect. The voices on Supertzar are nice. But progrock? No. Just nice plain melodic hardrock. Not a reason for me to buy sabbath.

Thnx anyway, looking forward to the next one!
thanks...but I'll tell you that Cap'n Beefhart tune that played right after the show is certainly NOT prog.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick and Roll
thanks...but I'll tell you that Cap'n Beefhart tune that played right after the show is certainly NOT prog.
i agree. but beefheart is a league on his own (as is fr. zappa). nr 1 geniuses. you just have to like their league... like i do.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the damn good show!! I really enjoy it a lot with donuts and coffee
Old 02-14-2005, 01:29 PM

Yep... thanks for the nice show, Rick.

And I hope you remember this suggestion about playing "Solitude" and/or "It's Alright" in some of your mixed sets in the future...

-Methem
Old 02-14-2005, 03:33 PM

popular avatar...

Quote:
Originally posted by Akunosh
Thanks for the damn good show!! I really enjoy it a lot with donuts and coffee
Sorry i didn't get a chance to chat with you Akunosh in white today..very hectic!

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2005, 10:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to teermin8r Send a message via Yahoo to teermin8r
For those who think Black Sabbath isn't prog, you may be right. But Black Sabbath has influenced as many bands as Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix. I'll bet if you could find out most of today's progressive metal bands would list Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper as influences.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: