Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Patron

Re: Aural Moon unlistenable

Although I haven't had time to join in Shout recently, I have AM playing in the background every day. I really dig Jim's record collection.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:28 PM

Alas, it would appear that AM is unlistenable. Given Jim's drive to 30,000 songs a little math will highlight the problem. Assuming the average listener (whomever that may be) can accommodate one new song a day, on average, then we have 82 years of music to listen to. Assuming Jim's collection habits follow a lower order Moore's law, we, the AM listeners, are in deep yogurt unless we devote more listening time to AM and request new to us tunes with increasing frequency. If the universe of music defined as prog rock continues to expand as well, then AM is indeed unlistenable.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:46 AM
KeithieW

Request Free Wednesday is indeed a Godsend.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sho92 View Post
Although I haven't had time to join in Shout recently, I have AM playing in the background every day. I really dig Jim's record collection.

I agree with you gr8sho92. Jim must have one of the best record collections on the planet.

Bmithra
Old 08-03-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckvt View Post
Alas, it would appear that AM is unlistenable. Given Jim's drive to 30,000 songs a little math will highlight the problem. Assuming the average listener (whomever that may be) can accommodate one new song a day, on average, then we have 82 years of music to listen to. Assuming Jim's collection habits follow a lower order Moore's law, we, the AM listeners, are in deep yogurt unless we devote more listening time to AM and request new to us tunes with increasing frequency. If the universe of music defined as prog rock continues to expand as well, then AM is indeed unlistenable.
And with these numbers, it's probably inevitable that people will not like ALL that it played- one person's noise will be another's serenade. But I love a LOT of what is played here, so here I'll stay
Old 08-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Patron

at the risk of shocking you all with a very poddy mouth...

who cares, we dont like him/her, we dont need him/her, we know what WE like and we support it. if the moon isn't coming into the standards (and i use that word loosely in regards to the post) he/she is expecting then "carry your sorry arse on to some other station that does" and we will all be the better for it.

we all have songs we consider noise that reside here but it is not enough to keep us away...well stated andy

and that's my 2cents.

thank you

frak 'em!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:30 PM

Wink Re: Aural Moon unlistenable

[quote=podakayne;36699]at the risk of shocking you all with a very poddy mouth...

... a very Poda mouth .... .
Old 08-03-2008, 04:37 PM
progger propellerhead

Location: Presently reside in Jackson (southern) NJ (20 miles east of NEARfest 2002 & 2003
Send a message via AIM to VAXman Send a message via Skype™ to VAXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by podakayne View Post
at the risk of shocking you all with a very poddy mouth...
Pea pods? Bean pods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by podakayne View Post
who cares, we dont like him/her, we dont need him/her, we know what WE like and we support it. if the moon isn't coming into the standards (and i use that word loosely in regards to the post) he/she is expecting then "carry your sorry arse on to some other station that does" and we will all be the better for it.
This post was, like many I'm familiar with on usenet and more likely than not, a troll.

However, it evoked a very positive outburst of retorts in support of Aural Moon. If this was, as some here surmise, our old nemesis Cedric (aka Rick_Wakemen), his traducement of AM backfired.
---------------------and Restroom Supplies, and Techno-patsy --

Cogito ergo iMac.         
Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 AM

The only thing that I can say is: que se vaya para el carajo...
Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Sintetista Send a message via Yahoo to Sintetista Send a message via Skype™ to Sintetista

I disagree. noise music is part of the reason I love the moon. Seems like the so called progressivemusicsociety is not progressive in their thinking, rather regressive I would say.
JA, HA
Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAXman View Post
Pea pods? Bean pods?

This post was, like many I'm familiar with on usenet and more likely than not, a troll.

However, it evoked a very positive outburst of retorts in support of Aural Moon. If this was, as some here surmise, our old nemesis Cedric (aka Rick_Wakemen), his traducement of AM backfired.
You know i been here for a while but who's Rick Wakemen i mean i know who it is from yes but who is it from here? now i im lost.....And about the post who cares its the internet its like that who cares what a chicken Boner(if you don't know what that is look it up ) has to say....
Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM

Well, sort of along the lines of what VAX & Poda said, this is the internet folks, unless there's some sort of large protest amongst Moon MEMBERS that the music quality of the stream is going to hell in a hand basket, this is a non-issue. Some random jackass on the intarwebs spewing his vitriol is no reason for concern and likely not worth wasting time on. 'nuff said...
Old 08-06-2008, 10:42 AM

Actually, though I don't agree with how and where he did it, I do agree with his point! I'm finding myself listening to deliciousagony, morow, and pandora a lot more of late because of the increasing amount of jazz fusion that's being played. For my tastes, technical confusion like the Gary Willis (just played), or Miles Davis are downright annoying! Do they really have a place here, I don't know, they are rather on the fringe, I kind of think that they are a part of their own genre, which would not include the vast majority of the A.M. library and I'm sure that there are enough listeners who like the jazz, so it'll stay, and I’ll exercise the freedom to vote with my mouse to rq something I like, or change stream. It's funny that this thread is running, because I was going to start one "is the rush to 30,000 CDs a good thing?" because it seems so much of the fringe is being added as filler, yet there's plenty of other mainstream prog that's not (Opeth, future kings of England, for example), I'm sure everyone can add a few to the list. I guess my agreement with the-clown-who-airs-our-dirty-laundry-in-public-without-the-balls-to-give-his-name is that if I want to listen to rap (not that I would!), pop, classical, dance, political talk, etc., there are plenty of other places to go for those, and scant few that play the prog which draws us here - please keep the prog pure and leave the other genres to other streams and radio stations.

Jim Rogers
aka jrstudioboss
Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 PM

Thumbs up Re: Aural Moon unlistenable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstudioboss View Post
- please keep the prog pure and leave the other genres to other streams and radio stations.

Jim Rogers
aka jrstudioboss
Hi, I fully agree with Jim's opinion, lot of fillers loosely related to prog rock as we use to like it here on the Moon (Miles Davis 's numerous additions ( i like him too ) or Sun Ra ( i personnally dislike ) to neme just a few.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailotron View Post
Hi, I fully agree with Jim's opinion, lot of fillers loosely related to prog rock as we use to like it here on the Moon (Miles Davis 's numerous additions ( i like him too ) or Sun Ra ( i personnally dislike ) to neme just a few.
I can see your point as long as you make sure that you're defining the genre objectively. There are some who dislike an artist or song and say "it's not prog" because they don't like it.

So now that we've established objectivity, please define for me whether Ronnie Montrose's "Open Fire" belongs on the Moon. A favorite of mine, I don't consider it prog. But it's not my call. And it was deemed to be on the playlist and I am glad.

That's one of many examples - my point is that you have to let someone determine the course. I am perfectly willing to let Jim do this, as it is ultimately his station. Of course there is listener support, and that should be considered also.

As long as the discussion is reasoned and fair. I've become disenchanted about music discussion of late. It's starting to go like the politics and religion discussions where no one can talk about it without WW III starting.

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 08-06-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

I wasn't going to get involved with this thread, but my observations of late compel me to do otherwise. I'm not going to state a preference (but I think many of you know my stance on the boundry, or lack there of, on the definition of the music that belongs here.)

Anyway, reading the posts in this and other forums I am reminded of the story of the 8 blind wise men. They are each instructed to touch a mysterious beast (an elephant) and tell of what they discovered about this creature. Well, you know the story by now, each touches a different part of the animal and all come up with a completely different description of the same animal. Which one of them is correct, they wanted to know. And the answer to that is that they are all correct.

So, turn up the music and enjoy.

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Actually, though I don't agree with how and where he did it, I do agree with his point! I'm finding myself listening to deliciousagony, morow, and pandora a lot more of late because of the increasing amount of jazz fusion that's being played.
Ok. Good. That's why there's more than one prog station on the net. If all five major prog stations are the same, then that is boring. The basic principles of broadcasting apply here, even though AM is narrowcasting. AM, DeliciousAgony, Morow, Pandora, and others must differentiate themselves from each other in the competition for the small audience of internet prog people. ProgDirJim's seemingly chosen the broaden-your-musical-definition-and-horizon niche. Excellent. Jrstudioboss, I don't mean this to sound mean or personal, but if those other stations are more your taste, ok. Go listen to them. That's why more than one station exists. I'm sticking with AM because I prefer loads of variety in my prog. Long jazz fusion, long keyboardy things, long avant-garde post rock, long symphonic prog, and the occasional weird thing back to back to back is why I like it. And I'm sure there are others like me.

PS. There may only seem to be more jazz lately because that's what been added lately, and therefore requested a lot. In another month, PDJ may add fifty prog metal cds, and then a rash of people may complain AM's become too metally. But see, over time, as the recent adds drop out of "newness syndrome," then the library continues to stay balanced.

Last edited by Yesspaz : 08-06-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
pop, classical, dance, political talk, etc., there are plenty of other places to go for those, and scant few that play the prog which draws us here - please keep the prog pure and leave the other genres to other streams and radio stations.
I am in full agreement with Jim (jrstudioboss).

OHD, everyone's definition of what is prog is different, but a giraffe is not an elephant, and jazz is not prog rock.

I also vote with my mouse by changing streams, but I wish it were not necessary to do so often on the preeminent prog station.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Fossils are Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
...The only thing worthwhile from that post is the word detritus. Never seen it used before, I like it.
Thanks for contributing to the progressive rock nutrient cycle, my fellow AM detritivores!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Owner/Program Director

Well good feedback everyone, and if you haven't chimed in yet feel free.

There are not going to be any major significant changes to Aural Moon's philosophy of the broadest possible definition of prog. That doesn't mean that if I go over the deep end on a particular add (entirely possible), you can't call me on it. Please do, I don't get offended, but I don't promise to remove anything.

The feelings on "jazz" are very interesting to me. I have very intentionally stayed away from adding straight jazz. I am of the belief that some of the Miles that has been mentioned, if I claimed it was Caravan from some bootleg or lost album, it would be praised rather than condemned (and I am well aware that there has been positive and negative feedback, just addressing the negative at the moment). I think that fusion has much more in common with prog than so-called prog-metal (which is just metal with more ostentatious displays of virtuosity). But that's just my opinion. It only matters since I am the decider (take that W! )as to what goes on Aural Moon.

So anyone who objects to Miles, just curious: should Mahavishnu be here? Return to Forever?

as far as the original message that Vax posted, the station admins are not worried about a dissenting opinion, more that we're having fun with the idiot.

Feedback always welcomed...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: