Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2006, 10:24 AM

So How Did You Discover Aural Moon?

Just curious. How did you stumble upon Aurul Moon?

I can't remember specifically. I think I was on some ITunes or Real Player radio and just scrolling through the genres. I think Auralmoon was there under Classic Rock, or something. This was probably a couple years ago. Apart from the short flirtation with playing "classical music", it's been really great.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Patron

Re: So How Did You Discover Aural Moon?

That's exactly how I found the MOON, on itunes, Nov.05
One of the best finds ever!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Patron

Hello Gort and PDF,

I was friends with the owners of another station and was listening there. When they passed the reins and left the station, the new direction wasn't really up my alley. I was perusing their links section one day, and thought I'd click on the Moon to see what it was all about. This was in Nov. 2003. It might even have been the day Avian brought live chat on board. That first time, I remember clicking on white wondering what that was all about, and meeting keithie and steady stan. I think tee was in there as well. I came away from chatting and listening that day delighted to have found good music and some lovely loonie moonies, and knew that I was parking my rump (and ears) on the moon from now on.

mossy
Old 07-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Patron

sorry...PFD! Done too much scanning today.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:15 PM

I discovered it back in High School two years ago. I was in computer class doing the usual stuff we did every day (watch Red vs. Blue, flood the server with obscene messages recorded with our headphones' buillt-in mics, Google Images treasure hunt, etc...). But then, we also had to actually work on some stuff. So when we did we liked to have some music, so we usually hunted for internet radios using shoutcast. Then one day I stumbled upon Aural moon and started to listen to it quite a few times(helped by the fact that it was one of the only radios not to die in like 3 days). Then a few months later I found the actual site, joined the community quietly and began to know a bit about the people who met there. It's only as of late that I regurlarly come here though.

That's my story in a nutshell.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Patron

As far as i remember (getting old here) I stumbled on Aural Moon in 2001 via radio365 list of stations. I registered under another name and was a listener for a couple of years but i forgot my password.
Only 2 years ago I began to be more active under my present identity and have never looked back, except I've spent a fortune in buying more music that I never knew existed.

Dear God let me win the lotto
Old 07-17-2006, 01:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to kevishev Send a message via MSN to kevishev Send a message via Yahoo to kevishev Send a message via Skype™ to kevishev

I started listening back in 2001 by way of my winamp and shoutcast.com. I couldn't believe there was a station that played stuff I actually wanted to hear. The stream was more music back then. Less voice interuptions. No shows. Maybe Gnosis was on back then but I'n not sure. I remember Star Date being about the only thing other than music and the female voice announcement every now and then that you'd hear during the day. It was like heaven for me. Other streams have come and gone but the AM has carried on.

Kev
Old 07-17-2006, 02:53 PM

iTunes for me, too!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:36 PM
KeithieW

A mate told me about the Moon. I haven't looked back since.

Met mossy (again ) and SO many more soul mates you wouldn't believe.

Stay for ever!!!!!!! I will.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:58 PM

Started listening to AM back in 1999, when there were about 15 to 30 of us. I vaguely remember the OLD site! Heh, I remember being worried about switching to a new forums format back in 2001!

Found AM through a Yahoo! search for progressive rock radio.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:13 PM

I don't know how or why I decided to surf, but I found Delicious Agony. Great stuff, but heavy on Flower Kings. Then I listened to an interview the owner was doing with Roine Stolt, and she was "caught" in a lie about how she was supposedly at a show in Europe. Roine said something and she said "Oh yeah that show was great", but when pressed on details she fessed up. I thought, "Great just what prog needs a pretentious station" lol...

Actually found the forums (surprise!) of AM first. There was a discussion of "What's your favorite prog song"? I signed up, and replied "Green Eyed Lady". Jim thought I was being cheeky, of the opinion that the song was a bit commercial. After starting off on the wrong foot with my response, Avian, Keith, and maybe Mossy and most likely Spaz (and some Moonies not around anymore) chimed in. I think I had 30 posts in the first week...it was a fun row.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:49 PM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee

I was listening to spinner.com (back before they started being "All Zappa All The Time"). Eventually they went down that path and we parted ways. It was quite a while where I was completely prog-less. Then I opened iTunes and saw ..."The Net's Progressive Rock Garden."

Urr?

The second song I heard was "The Web" by Marillion, and it was followed in short order by this wild epic that changed time and key signatures more often than my ex wife changed her mind. I was hooked from the word go and haven't looked back since. I like it here.
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Owner/Program Director

I found it through the old PRRN, and started listening in '99. Back in, oh, October of 2000 or so, Avian posted on the web site looking for a Program Director and I volunteered. Since then it takes up a lot of my time, but it's generally time well spent. I can remember when we'd get excited to have 20 concurrent listeners...
Old 07-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian

I was driving in Quincy, MA one night not too far from home when I was trying to figure out a name for the radio station. I told Karen "I know I want it to have moon in it... something Moon. Taco? No. Earthworm? Nope. Then it came to me - Aural Moon. A giant beam came out of the sky and sucked up the car into a spaceship, and that's the last thing I remember. It was June of 1999.

I told my long time friend whos 80s radio station originally inspired me to do this. He responded, "Oral Moon? Hilarious!" I was serious of course.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:31 AM

VAXman posted the address of the station on comp.os.vms, a usenet group, a couple of years ago. I saw the URL and visited the site some time after. I listened anonymously for a few months and then registered.

-Methem
Old 07-18-2006, 06:30 AM

My adventure with AM starts in 2004 but I visited the page also one year before. But - strange thing - during two or three visits in 2003 Moon seemed silent. WR "attendance" - 0, not many shouts..I wondered if there were secret options opening doors to community or something like that. So accidentally at the beginning I had false impression about AM. After a few months in March 2004 I visited again. Avian, Keithie and someone third was in the BR and this is how all started. I remember KW had a headache . Next day there was again KW in chat room and I met Mossy. That was around noon and I was very surprised to read that Mossy listened to AM at night. Hah!! Good old days . In 2004 European morning crew was extremely active. No sooner after me Jam joined, KW was around every morning so we had a huge amount of faff.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:51 AM
KeithieW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
No sooner after me Jam joined, KW was around every morning so we had a huge amount of faff.
Great days indeed Woj. Then work comes along and Faff time diminishes.

Still great to Faff when time allows though.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 AM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
After a few months in March 2004 I visited again. Avian, Keithie and someone third was in the BR and this is how all started. I remember KW had a headache . Next day there was again KW in chat room and I met Mossy. That was around noon and I was very surprised to read that Mossy listened to AM at night. Hah!! Good old days . In 2004 European morning crew was extremely active. No sooner after me Jam joined, KW was around every morning so we had a huge amount of faff.
I remember those days. I was wasting my existence at HP at the time. I was part of the European Morning Crowd as well (even if it was 3am local time). We had some wonderful conversations. I remember asking about whether or not the end of Communism actually benefitted the regular folk in Poland like we in the US were hoping it would.

Those were the days....
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Patron

Yes those early morning faffs in 2003/2004 were the only way to start the day. Unfortunately, since I'm on pacific time, I had to get up at 4 am to do it. I managed to do this for about six months, then I got old. I also got married, which, by default, put an end to getting up at 4 am and hopping on the puter. Steady Stan, tee, jamforte, keith, woj, mortis, sometimes rick, vax, the Spaniards siluencar and david, sometimes lotus? Stan got the theme cooking and we had a good time. Dot, I think I was gone from the routine already when you started doing the morning shift. Good memories indeed.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Patron

I forgot Artemis....it was a hoot having stan on there and then his wife logging in from work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: