Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2001, 11:52 AM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Talking To Dream or not to Dream?

One of the more controversial subjects at Aural Moon is our decision not to add Dream Theater to the station (and bands that sound like them).

I figured I would create a thread where Dream Theater fans could post their arguments, what songs we should be listening to, why you love them, and what other bands like them you're mad at us for not adding.

A one stop place for this subject.

Avian
Old 05-26-2001, 02:26 PM

Thumbs up To Dream, and King's X

I've just always viewed DT as one of the bigger (success-wise) prog bands of the '90s, and it just seems odd to me they are not on here.

As far as similar bands go, I've always lauded King's X. KX has many different side projects, including...

Platypus (Ty Tabor, guitar, of King's X, John Myung, bass of Dream Theater, Rod Morgenstein: Drums, of Dixie Dregs, Derek Sherinian: Keyboards, of Dream Theater)

Playtpus is not on AM, but I think should be, as should KX. Now, KX is not prog in the vein of Yes or KC or Rush, but it is miles and miles beyond radio (ever heard them on the radio?). Their music is very intricate at times, very emotional, with dense and difficult progressions and transitions. Their influences are Rush, the Beatles, and Zep or Black Sabbath (meaning they are one of the five best riff-writing bands ever IMO). They have no keyboards. Just great three piece hard prog rock. They have tight three part harmonies, and are all unbelievalbe musicians. They made VH1's Top 100 hard rock artists countdown at 87, higher then KC and Yes (both of which barely fit the category anyway). GREAT BAND! They've guested for Pearl Jam, Dream Theater twice, and Galactic Cowboys, among others.

Find a copy of FAITH, HOPE, LOVE or DOGMAN somewhereand let it grow on you (as most of this kind of music has to do). Songs like "We Were Born to be Loved," "Pillow," and, well shoot, all of them. They stick with you. They are my favorite band for the past two months. I'll shut up now.

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=king%27s+x

Old 05-26-2001, 02:33 PM

Gotta try something.

I'm still a computer moron, so I'm gonna try this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dogmanphoto5.jpg (45.6 KB, 589 views)
Old 06-03-2001, 01:47 PM

Thumbs down Dream Theater

Maybe I haven’t been listening to the right CD's, but I have not really enjoyed what I have heard by Dream Theater. I'm with Avian on this one, but I am open to persuasion .

_Jazs
Old 06-07-2001, 03:17 PM
Owner/Program Director

Cool Platypus (was:To dream or not to dream)

Well, I received a copy of Platypus "Ice Cycles", and I have to say, that while I like it, most of it doesn't strike me as prog. I've decided on three tracks (including a 9 minute suite) to upload to the station, which you should see in the next couple of days(unless Avian vetoes me on this one):-)
Old 06-09-2001, 03:50 PM

Cool Liquid Tension Experiment

I really don't like Dream Theater at all, so I could care less. It sort of strikes me odd, however, to see Dream Theater excluded but Liquid Tension Experiment playing considering 2 of their 4 members are from Dream Theater(!)
Old 06-09-2001, 04:15 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Good point. I was thinking about this today (but not that hard).

I would say without a doubt that the DT side projects are a lot better than DT itself. Plus, we didn't add every song from LTE or BLS either - just the ones that we thought would fit the station.

Avain
Old 06-11-2001, 04:38 PM

Wow. WoW! All I can say is WOW!

Man, I listened to King's X's selftitled album again today. Wow. It kicked my butt.
Old 06-14-2001, 11:12 AM

No Dream

I would rather not have Dream Theater listed. If their songs are similar to groups like LTE or Lana Lane, then I'd skip it. I prefer the more ballad-like songs rather than something hard. In fact that is why I started listening to this station. I'd rather keep it that way.
Old 06-18-2001, 05:36 PM

Thumbs up totally DREAMing

I hope u guys take Drem Theater and their side projects into your program, 'cause they are just one of the greatest Progbands on the planet. Ok, they are a bit heavier than the rest, but the quality is high, if not even higher.
You feature Spock's Beard so why not DT, both bands had a tour together, that was a blast.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Lost Dreams
No to DT

I like Aural Moon the way it is. Leave Dream Theater to stations like Progged or Progrock. Those are the ProgMetal stations. Aural Moon plays the prog that doesn't make my brain hurt when I just want something to listen to in the background while working around the house.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:24 AM
Owner Emeritus

Hey, it's our new slogan...

"Aural Moon: Saving Brains since 1998!"

Avian
Old 06-22-2001, 03:24 AM

Let the Dreams in!

Just the other day you guys played AYREON.
Now I can't understand why you don't want to feature DREAM THEATER.
In my opinion both are playing in the same league, in terms of heavynes.
Old 06-22-2001, 11:31 PM
Owner/Program Director

Red face

(Well, the program director isn't crazy about all of Ayreon either.) But what we're really saying about DT is not that they're not good, but that they're not really prog. And Avian and I feel pretty strongly about it. The best way to convince us would be to point us to songs that we can listen to (for free) that are the most prog...
Old 07-11-2001, 11:51 AM

I'll have to post my mp3 of Dream Theater w/Steve Howe Live Yes Medley.
Well, maybe not.
Then again....

Anyway, speaking of DT sides.
Chromakey?
Old 07-11-2001, 05:16 PM
Owner Emeritus

We actually run that piece - You can find it under Howe, Steve - Yes Medley

Quite Nice! No one is saying they're bad musicians...

Avian
Old 07-12-2001, 09:06 AM

DT is a little too rambunctious for my taste...I bought a DT cd at a discount music store at an outlet mall in Branson, MO, a few weeks ago. I think it's called Awakening? Maybe I picked up the wrong one, but it was just a little too busy for me...Genesis' Seven Stones is a representative example of the way my taste runs. I like unique melody structures...but they also need to actually be "melodic". I'm usually a sucker for a good "Mellotron-dominant" cut. BTW....they're making Mellotrons again!....in Canada!
Old 07-14-2001, 03:00 PM

It's all semantics

OK. Let's break this down. First, let's define prog. If you look at the variety of bands available here, you will see a definate variety of progressive styles, from the early prog masters to recent stuff like Ozric Tentacles and Djam Karet. Aural Moon keeps a very open mind and does their research well. So, what is prog? I think it varies depending on the person and their introduction to the genre. Myself, I love epic songs, a wide variety of changing and dynamic metrics, incredible instumentation, occasional vocals, a wide variey of instruments (especially mellotron); basically music that sets itself apart from everything else and can only be classified as prog. Now, I have listened to DT and think the Scenes from a Memory CD sucks big time, but I am completely and utterly blown away by the Metropolis 2000 DVD. Granted, it isn't for the faint hearted, but I consider this to be one of the most incredible technical displays of musicianship. Whether to include it here? Prog is sometimes experimentation, so why not try a few cuts from the Metropolis 2000 CD and see what happens. Just a couple, though. Because of their popularity, I wouldn't want to see this site become progressive metal. Oh, you think DT is to busy? How about some of the Mahavishnu stuff, or, even more incredible, Boud Deun? That stuff makes me want to quit playing bass and run home to mommy!
Old 07-16-2001, 08:36 AM

I agree with BG&Q

Each person is an individual, and as such, each will have his or her own "hot-button" as far as melody, lyrics, etc. For example, I like Porcupine Tree's "Sky moves Sideways, but there's only one cut on "Lightbulb Sun" that does anything for me. I own two Deep Purple albums, the first one (self titled, wasn't released in the US till after "Shades") and "Shades of Deep Purple". The only other thing they did that partially hit my "hot-button" was an instrumental cut called "A-200" (?) from the album "Burn". You can keep all the Zeppelin past the first album, Robert Plant solo stuff except "Big Log" and anything Genesis recorded after "Duke". I'm not writing this to piss anybody off...maybe just to embellish what BG&Q was saying. And BTW, yes Mahavishnu is as busy as DT...but McLaughlin and the boys hit my melody "hot-button" and DT doesn't (or hasn't so far). But on the other hand, you can't build the perfect radio station either, Jim and Avian, because you can't please all of the people all of the time....Aural Moon is, hands down, the best streamer I've heard....just let it flow!

Old 07-16-2001, 08:10 PM
Fossils are Rock!

Stick to your plan, AM. I like DT and other prog/metal bands very much, but they do not belong in the same category with pre'75 Genesis (I'm listening to Foxtrot right now) or any Yes' stuff, or even KBB (who pack lots of notes in, too).
I turn to AM when I want to expand my mind.
I turn to DT, Tool and Metallica (great w/ the San Fran Symphony BTW!) when I want bang my skull on the wall. (DT, if you're reading this, you can take it as a compliment.)

Last edited by dinosaur : 07-16-2001 at 08:13 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: