Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM #71 - Läther - Frank Zappa's Swan Song

Greetings Mooniverse!

For this episode we turn to a musician that proves there truly is a thin line between brilliance and sanity. At the center of that brilliance comes an album conceived to be his Swan-song for Warner Brothers records.

Frank Zappa, our poster-child for independent musician's control of their own material, was in contractual hell in 1977 with Warner Brothers, DiscReet Records and Herb Cohen. (The whole situation is far to complicated for explanation here.) Let us just say what he wanted to do, and what they would allow him to do didn't quite match.

Läther was to have been released in 1977, but had been recorded over the past 8 years (1969, and 1972-1977). Against Frank's wishes, the material for Läther was released by Warner Brothers as four separate albums: Zappa in New York (1977), Studio Tan (1978), Sleep Dirt (1979), and Orchestral Favorites (1979). Läther was ultimately not released until after Zappa's death.

The album contains just 7 minutes shy of 3 hours of music. Contractually I can't play all of the 3-disc album in a two hour show. So here's what I'm going to do: I am going to pull out the songs presented on Zappa in New York (1977) as it is a well know album and I'd like to let folks hear some of the more unknown treats of this compilation. So, please, don't cry in your Titties 'N Beer, I'm sure you'll hear your favorite songs soon on Aural Moon.

Come on by the corner Friday @ 9pm, Monday @ 12noon, or Wednesday @ 5am (all times e.s.t).

dale

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Re: COTM #71 - Läther - Frank Zappa's Swan Song

Hi Dale,

sounds good to me , thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 PM

Wink Re: COTM #71 - Läther - Frank Zappa's Swan Song

[Q

... Contractually I can't play all of the 3-disc album in a two hour show. dale[/quote]

But one size fits all doesn't it ? :-)
Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 PM

Läther covert art was designed by Frank' s son Dweezil. Cover shows a cow with markings that ressemble the shape of Corsica, Sicily and Italy,Zappa's parents birthplaces. Läther was broadcaste by FZ himself in october 1977, then 2 unofficial cassettes copies circulated amongst fans.for the purpose of the 3 CD issue some bonus track were dug out of FZ bootlegs collection and added to the original cassettes content. Bonuses are regyptian struts/ leather goods/revenge of the knick knack people/time is money ( instrumental version). läther has lot of other secrets...
Old 08-25-2012, 04:20 PM

Läther secrets part 2 :-)
Led Zepp' Whole lotta love galactical guitar riff inspired the bonus track 'leather goods'
The track 'i promised not to come in your mouth ' on FZ live in New York is called 'läther' on the 3 cd box set
A little gren Rosetta is the final track of Joe's garage issued in 1979 ( first FZ record for the label CBS)
Old 08-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

There are really a number of treasures on this album.

And don't forget that when you are listening and say "What song is that album from?" - well, it actually came from this album 1st, but they couldn't release it in this form. So it got split up later into several albums. These cuts are the original versions.

Enjoy. See you on the Corner.

Happiness is a worn pun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: