Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2001, 05:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Powerslave
Talking Not to Dream (on AM, that is)

I know alot of folks will be mad at me for saying this, but Dream Theater probably doesn't belong on the Aural Moon list. At least, their whole discography doesn't. Now while I enjoy DT's music, most of the music on AM is of a lighter vein of rock music. If this were a regular rock station that played REM, Matchbox 20, that sort of stuff, to hear something like Metallica or even Def Leppard would seem out-of-place. Even if the nature of Progressive music is to explore new ideas and types, there are other places to explore progressive metal. That what Progged Radio is for (check out progradio.net) Gotta face facts, that's what DT is: prog metal. Just as I wouldn't expect to hear Shadow Gallery or Royal Hunt or Stratovarius on AM, I would not expect to hear DT, either. While I like all the aforementioned prog metal bands, I just don't think they fit in with the current AM playlist.

There are some DT songs that might be okay for AM ("Another Day"), but then again, there are lots of bands with a song or two that could be considered progressive, I still wouldn't expect them to be here. I think DT is better suited to the stations that currently play them on the web, but not Aural Moon.

New rant:
While this may turn out for a good pro-DT argument, I still felt like bringing it up. I love Peter Gabriel. I listen to all his albums regularly and I am quite pissed off he hasn't released a new album for the past eight or so years. But even as I am a PG fan, does he really belong on Aural Moon? Sure he may have been in one of the greatest prog-rock bands ever, but does that make his solo music progressive? I personally don't think so, but I was wondering what everyone else thought about having PG, Enya, etc.-type music on AM.

Powerslave
(yes, I know, Iron Maiden doesn't belong here either, hehe)

Old 07-20-2001, 01:35 PM

The results are in!

OK....I finally heard some LTE. MUCH better than DT...Now I'll shut-up and play my computer

Last edited by BigTwin : 07-20-2001 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:24 PM

Went out and bought LTE2 last night.
I'm currently on a buisiness trip and and only have me laptop to play CDs with.
But even with these crummy little speakers, LTE kicks some serious somethingoranother.
And now I know why their sound is a bit DT like.

Corbulo
Old 08-07-2001, 04:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Grey
King's X

Heard King's X a couple of months ago: VERY Beatley, and maybe they liked Utopia's (Todd Rundgren's) vocals as well: pretty speedy, and noisy at first, but they do grow on you...
The friend who played them for me, usually HATES progressive, so will be horrified to hear that his band is in this thread!!!lol.
Old 09-03-2001, 12:52 PM

Question I'm going to be shot...

After going back and forth on this one, I think there are certain DT songs that do fit the overall scheme of Aural Moon. The question shouldn't be "are they too heavy to be prog rock?" since I've noticed an awful lot of heavy stuff on the lists already.

A few DT tracks would be nice if for no other reason than it adds a bit of variety. Someone was asking for specific songs to try, so here's a few of my favs to get you started:

"Learning To Live" - from Images and Words
"The Mirror/Lie" - from Awake (definitely not for AM, though)
"Space-Dye Vest" - from Awake
"A Change Of Seasons" - from A Change of Seasons EP
"Peruvian Skies" - from Falling into Infinity (does get real heavy at the end)
"Trial Of Tears" - from Falling into Infinity
"Finally Free" - from Scenes from a Memory

A few other suggestions that I thought might be worth a listen:

"The Ytse Jam" - from When Dream and Day Unite
"Another Day" - from Images and Words
"Surrounded" - from Images and Words
"Wait For Sleep" - from Images and Words
"Lifting Shadows Off A Dream" - from Awake
"Hollow Years" - from Falling into Infinity
"Take Away My Pain" - from Falling into Infinity
"Beyond This Life" - from Scenes from a Memory
"One Last Time" - from Scenes from a Memory

I'll live whether or not DT is added - there's plenty of bands I haven't heard before on AM already - but I do see the merits of adding one or two songs for the people who haven't heard DT before (and the ones who can't go on without 'em.)

Last edited by splats : 09-04-2001 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-04-2001, 04:07 PM

Hey Earl Grey

What KX songs did you hear, or what album? In my main cd folder, I have seven artists: Yes, Pink Floyd, King's X, Rush, Oldfiled, Gentle Giant, and King Crimson.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:14 AM

Talking Hey Yespaz!

I'll have to talk with my buddy, who plays the King's X CD all the time, then I'll let you know.
It was funny: He always bitches about my propensity to listen to PROG. then he plays this CD! I LMFAO, & said, "Well well well (In the tones of 'Alex': Clockwork Orange). What do we have here, my merry Droogs? A bit of PROG has creeped into the Headbanger's Ball, I fear! Tsk Tsk!"
You had to be there, but it was a 'Larf!'
Great (Indispensible) stuff You've got in your folder there!
Now hold on tight, and continue, my friend!
Soon The Light, Earl.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:52 PM

Veilen Dank!

I hear you Mr. Grey (are you related to Gandalf the Grey?).
I LOVE King's X. I don't care what anyone says...!

-"and while we're thanking everybody in the world I'd like to thank a guy I know named Earl."

-Mike T. Nelson
-Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
Old 09-07-2001, 08:15 PM

Cool Gandalf...

Give me 20 years: If I don't change my hair-style (& why should I? I Haven't yet!) I'll look just like him! I'll keep my eyes open for the Balrog on the bridge (Yipes!).
Old 09-08-2001, 02:48 AM
Owner/Program Director

Gandalf

Fly, you fools!
Old 10-24-2003, 03:15 AM

Let me apologize before anyoine jumps on me. I've been in other forums where people object to newbies dredging up old threads, but I'm picking my way tyhrough some of the early topics and this one caught my eye.

I wasn't aware there was a formal ban on DT. And someone here has already mentioned that Liquid Tension is already represented here. (What's the difference?)

I might have to second Dinosaur's sentiment. I have DT and Tool in my very personal library (meaning the kids don't even see I have them let alone listen to them). Occasionally, when I get the urge to strangle someone at work, for example, I will play one of these. Not the stuff I want on the computer while I'm writing or when the kids are around. (They think the straight up prog is odd enough.)

OTOH, I would say the DT instrumentals are awesome and probably okay for AM. In particular, I'm thinking of Hell's Kitchen and Erotomania.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:44 AM

Brave DodgerMatt

You're a brave man to bring this up again.

I also have Tool and DT CD's and have them in my CD changer in the car where my kids and I can listen to them at the intended volume. It is music that makes my heart go faster, not always a good thing at my age.

For me, personally, I am OK with it not being on AM's list since AM offers non-metal prog. and suits my work atmosphere just fine since that's when I listen to it. But then every once in a while we will hear OSI or LTE and I just crank it up!!
Old 10-24-2003, 02:44 PM

summarizing

I've said this ad nauseum, here we go again....I just read the posts (thinking at first they were new, dopey me). Let's set the record straight:

3 of the 4 members are LTE are from DT, not 2.

It's absolutely silly to have bands like LTE, OSI, later Crimson, the list is endless..without DT.

What's the issue, that someone will request it to death? Already you get the same songs played every day. Variety! I wish there was an unlimited source to draw from - there's so much out there not on AM.

More OZRIC!

Lana Lane????

Non-prog songs/acts litter this station. Kansas, Tull, Queen, Rush - they just happen to be the bands we grew up with - not prog!

I'd love to hear King's X, XTC, Montrose on here - but it ain't gonna happen, and I agree with the reasons. My adoration of King's X will not diminish cause it's not on AM.

Now while I am saying I think DT belongs on AM, it wouldn't bother me in the LEAST if it wasn't. I like the Smithereens, the Cult, Maiden, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Chicago, hell, I got more bands not on AM than here. They don't need to be on here.

Finally, I think we're looking at this too narrowly. I love to hear music from other countries. There may be a need to head DT in other places.

I'm still confused - do we think that the inclusion of one band will de-legitimize the station or open the floodgates? I doubt it.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:59 PM

Wow, quite an old thread, and I doubt any opinions of Jim and Avian have changed, but here's my suggested list of DT songs for the station (that I last mentioned back in september). I'll make them available and let you know where to get them from. That is, if you still even care. Enough.

Eve
Space Dye Vest
Erotomania
Learning To Live
The Dance of Eternity
Strange Deja Vu
Ytsejam
Metropolis Pt. 1
A Change of Seasons

Tommy
Old 10-26-2003, 01:15 AM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally posted by DodgerMatt
I wasn't aware there was a formal ban on DT. And someone here has already mentioned that Liquid Tension is already represented here. (What's the difference?)
What's the diference between LTE and DT? C'mon, you can't hear a difference on ONE listen? We've had dozens (and I'm exaggerating DOWNWARD) of requets for DT, so I listen to them fairly regularly. With dozens to hundreds of listens, I just haven't heard as much progressive music from DT as I've heard in the first five minutes of listening to LTE. There's no BAN on DT - we just don't feel they're progressive enough. I will follow up with EP on his suggestions - we're very willing to add what WE feel are the truly progressive tracks from them.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:04 AM

Differentiation B/t Two Bands . . .

Blah, this really is getting old . . . .

Jim now has access to my list of tracks, and Avian soon after. I just want to get a final freaking decision on this.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:07 AM

Re: Differentiation B/t Two Bands . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Extended Play
final freaking decision
Another good name for a band!
Old 10-27-2003, 01:54 PM

Re: Differentiation B/t Two Bands . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Extended Play
Blah, this really is getting old . . . .
Yep, this is round four by my count.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:26 PM

Re: Re: Differentiation B/t Two Bands . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz
Yep, this is round four by my count.
At least, it is the final round and not just a prelude to the next.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:40 AM

hopefully, until some newbie brings it back up without reading the old threads

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: