Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Canvas Prog Hour
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2003, 11:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to canvas
Important Announcement

Dear Canvas Prog Hour fans,

I regret to inform you that I have been fired from Aural moon's lineup and The Canvas Prog Hour will no longer run on Aural Moon.

I was let go due to my pro-American theme and my latest adverts welcoming the Iraqi people to the free world.

I enjoyed my run on Aural Moon and I was honored to be a part of this endeavor.

You can now hear The Canvas Prog Hour on Thursday nights on my station called CP Radio at www.canvasproductions.net

Thanks to all who listened to my show and thanks to Davin for letting me run the show on Aural Moon for awhile.

Matt
Old 03-20-2003, 11:55 AM
KeithieW

Thumbs up Good luck!!

Matt,

Sorry to hear the news. Hope all goes well for you. I've enjoyed your show and will tune in to the new Prog hour from time to time in the future.

Take care.

Old 03-20-2003, 01:32 PM

Keith,

Thanks man! I appreciate that!

Matt
Old 03-20-2003, 06:16 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Matt beat me to posting the notice about this. I chose to stop running his program not because of his "pro-american" theme, but because of the heavy political content of his shows were getting heavier. If his viewpoint was "anti-american", I would have come to the same decision. Here's the note I sent him:

Quote:
Matt,

I'm sorry to inform you that due to the increasing political rhetoric in "The Canvas Prog Hour", Aural Moon will no longer be able to air your programs as they stand now.

Half of our listeners are from overseas. I've received complaints from listeners in the past about the amount of political content in CPH programs, but I decided to let it go in deference to your freedom of speech and opinion. But the recent events in the world and these new CPH Iraqi sweepers have me reevaluating that decision.

I, like you, am a patriotic American. I support our troops overseas. But like the majority of the world, I am against this war in Iraq. Combined with Aural Moon's goal of providing an enjoyable progressive rock listening experience throughout the world, I cannot in good conscience have Aural Moon air the particular political content in CPH.

I hope you understand, and wish you continued luck with your progressive rock ventures. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Davin
This was not an easy decision to make, but I would say that if Matt is interested in expressing his political viewpoints, that he create a political talk show. I just thought that a worldwide progressive rock broadcast was an inappropriate forum to do it.

I'd be interested in hearing everyone's opinion.

Avian
Old 03-21-2003, 12:39 AM

Location: Sultan, Washington (about 50 miles east of Seattle)
Davin:

Thanks for providing the voice of reason ... on behalf of those who believe that honoring the troops means not wasting 'em.

Your (still) avid listener
-- Brian
Old 03-21-2003, 02:55 AM
KeithieW

Davin,

I can see why you made the decision you did and I respect it.

It's very important that we all have the right to say what we feel, whether it is through the medium of the written word, music or PEACEFUL protest. The forum has to be appropriate though and it may have been more appropriate to let the music do the talking in this case.

I HATE the idea of this war (or any war) as well and my heart goes out to everyone caught up in it. I pray for a swift conclusion to it with as few casualties as is possible.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:54 AM

Goodbye Canvas, I'll miss ya

I am sorry to hear Canvas is leaving. Sorry Canvas. I will miss the broader definition of progressive that includes the likes of Neal Schon and King's X.

I disagree with the decision to let the show go, but I do understand the reasoning. AM is not the forum. I, for one, am for the war in Iraq. We should've taken out Saddam in 1991. Appeasement is an insane notion. I find it highly funny and hypocritical that so many war protesters are becoming violent and disrupting the civil order. This is happening in New York, DC, California (sorry Jim), and Chicago - very liberal centered cities. It is not happening in Texas, the South, the Midwest, etc. We all want peace, but to say that there is NO reason for war, EVER, is absolutely ridiculous. I also think it hilarious that so many outspoken celebrity "experts" such as Alec Baldwin and Cher have been shown to have either finished only high school, dropped out of college, etc., and are criticizing highly educated men such as Bush, Powell, Rumsfelt, Cheney, etc., as being "very dumb right now." Fact is, these celebrities probably don't know history. Saddam is a similar case to Hitler. True, he is not Hitler, but that is because the US and it's allies (and to some extent the UN) have kept him in borders for ten years. Unchecked, he would expand and expand. But now that he is getting closer to nuclear power, he must be taken out. Has anyone noticed how NO news organizations are "noting" the fact that the scud missiles the Iraqis have fired at troops are one of the weapons Saddam was not supposed to have, and said he didn't have? The people who oppose this war either can't think, don't know history, don't understand the true nature of pacifism, or don't have all the facts. I'm sorry if I just riled anyone up, but that's my two cents.

Let the flames begin, I guess.

Yesspaz out.

PS, Canvas, I got your back. I agree with Davin and Jim that a prog show should be a prog show and not a prog/political show. If you'd make it just a prog show I'm sure they'd let you back. I just wanted to let you know that politically, I'm with ya pal.

Peace in the Middle East (which will happen after Saddam is gone and a new democratic Iraq is allowed to flourish. Well, it will partially happen anyway. There's still the Israeli/Palestinian thing, but no Hussien is one step forward).
Old 03-21-2003, 11:38 AM

Yesspaz,

Thanks alot man, I appreciate that! I considered watering down my show for one fleeting second, then decided to stand my ground. Aural Moon was my largest audience, and its a great blow to us here at Canvas Productions.I think the adverts I made that caused the storm are far less political then the bit I used to close every show with. I was simply welcoming the Iraqi people into the free world, and now they will be able to enjoy internet radio among other freedoms, that sadly, so many take for granted. I can't wait to see that first Iraqi listener tuned into my station or my show. Soon we will be welcoming listeners from Iran and North Korea, and maybe a few other subjugated nations as well.

I respect Davin's decision, after all, its his station. I wouldn't let someone run a pro appeasement/pacifist show on my station. The Canvas Prog Hour is what it is, and there you'll find unbridled support for the war against terrorism, the USA and our allies, George W Bush and the United States Armed Forces. I will continue to poke fun at Democrats, appeasers, Hollywood, and anything else that I find that needs poking. I may lose some listeners, but I can't in good conscience hide my deeply felt convictions.

Heck, there has to be at least ONE prog show out there not driven by left wing softies. I'm proud that I'm the one who makes that one show.

Matt

Last edited by canvas : 03-21-2003 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
Again - I may not have made it really that clear in my original letter - the existence of that much political content in a music show was just unacceptable. We've been getting complaints as it was, and the additional Iraqi comments pushed it over the line for me. If there were anti-american content in there in the same manner, I would feel the same way.

The second reason, which really is a separate issue, is that I am against the war in Iraq (along with most of the rest of the world). But that truly was a secondary resason. I believe in everyone's right to free speech.

Another thing I considered doing is inserting lots of anti-war messages, excertps from peace rallies, and other related audio material in between CPH segments to balance it out. That's when I realized that none of it was appropriate in our broadcast.

By the way, most of the other progressive rock broadcasts (not all) that I know are, in fact, operated by people with conservative views, including Matt's station, progged.com and others.

I feel that the least we can be is the intelligent voice of reason and peace without being obnoxious about it. Get our troops home, so that we can get busy impeaching the guy we didn't elect President for all the lies and railroading!

(oops - did I say that?)

Avian
Old 03-21-2003, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Avian
By the way, most of the other progressive rock broadcasts (not all) that I know are, in fact, operated by people with conservative views, including Matt's station, progged.com and others.

I feel that the least we can be is the intelligent voice of reason and peace without being obnoxious about it. Get our troops home, so that we can get busy impeaching the guy we didn't elect President for all the lies and railroading!

(oops - did I say that?)

Avian
Honestly, I think that political views have no place on the station, regardless of their slant. This station (above many others) is about music and should stay about music. If there's nothing else that we can see commonality in, it's the music we all love and actively discuss. Unlike many other stations, I think that's what gives AM such a great global edge.

I may not agree with many people about the war, but we can agree that Zappa kicks the shit outta Limp Bizkit any day. And that's where global understanding and communication starts. When we find that common ground in the soul, it's much easier to see each other as people, not demonic political stereotypes.

Like anyone else, I'm sad to see any shows leave, but our personal views should stay personal when it comes to the content of this station.

Just my $0.02

Tommy - Extended Playa (yo)
Old 03-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Owner Emeritus

Hee hee -

Camel is carpet bombing Britney Spears at this very moment!

"Reports from Orlando, Florida reports that N'Sync is under heavy shelling by Le Orme. Coalition air strikes by Banco, Gentle Giant and the tiny band Yezda Urfa. Minimum Vital has refused to participate."

Avian
Old 03-21-2003, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Avian
Hee hee -

Camel is carpet bombing Britney Spears at this very moment!

"Reports from Orlando, Florida reports that N'Sync is under heavy shelling by Le Orme. Coalition air strikes by Banco, Gentle Giant and the tiny band Yezda Urfa. Minimum Vital has refused to participate."

Avian
Haha, I just got the image of Rick Wakeman gliding overhead, cape-bound. Now that's some stealth technology!

Tommy
Old 03-21-2003, 01:39 PM
KeithieW

Prog Rocks.....................War Sucks!!!!

Let's get back to the Music!!!!!
Old 03-21-2003, 10:12 PM

Prog Rocks.....................War Sucks!!!!

YEAH!!!!! More music, less politics (although I enjoy seeing the characters come out).
Old 03-21-2003, 10:59 PM

Re: Prog Rocks.....................War Sucks!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by zvinki
YEAH!!!!! More music, less politics (although I enjoy seeing the characters come out).
Yes, it is awfully interesting to see the flags come out. Makes the faces behind the curtain seem a bit more real.

I went to a Q & A at Antartica studios in Nashville with Robert Fripp in early 2000. One of the people stated that he was there to make Fripp more human in his mind. Fripp shrugged it off and said that really wasn't why the man had come. He was right in that most were there (including me) for their one personal chance to connect with someone they felt they already knew (something 'ol Bobby is famous for despising).

The lesson here being that I can't connect an anecdote for shit. Take what you will of that, we're all more than we show everyone else and even ourselves.

Tommy
Old 03-23-2003, 10:41 AM

Sorry to see ya go Matt.

While I agree that politics should be kept to a minimum, I somewhat doubt this "removal" would have taken place if the politics in question had been left of center.

What do you want to impeach Bush for, being the most physically fit president we've ever had? Or maybe it's because he doesn't patronize McDonald's and hit on women other than his own wife?

Oh, I KNOW! It's because He believes that people should EARN their money for a living, as opposed to expecting handouts from Big Brother.

OK..... I feel better now.

I'll go listen to Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold" for an hour to get it completely out of my system......
Old 03-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Owner Emeritus

Well since only I can answer that question - be assured that the same amount of left-of-center content would be unacceptable, too. I also haven't heard anyone talk about the year and a half we've been running Canvas Prog Hour with this type of content.

Welp, since you mentioned our buddy dubya..

Hail to the Chief, baby!
Old 03-24-2003, 12:15 AM
Owner/Program Director

Avian and I agree on this decision - even though our personal politics are not 100% in agreement. I'm not even going to espouse my political view, since I think it's irrelevant to my role at AM. Ultimately the decision was about separating politics in general from the music, not about eliminating a specific political view.

We welcome listeners from all geographical, religious, and socio-political positions...
Old 03-26-2003, 10:18 PM

well said!

You could not have said it better when you state that political views are irrelevant to this station. I hope that everyone realizes this. Irrelevant is a great word - when will everyone understand that it's not that the media has a "liberal agenda" - it's just that the mass media loves a conterversy! Aural Moon is a Progressive rock station, not "Crossfire". I welcome a station that plays MUSIC. I salute your decision, and hope that the CPH finds its niche.

I had to smile when I read the post thanking the CPH for extending prog to King's X. I have had this discussion of the "prog" definition recently, as you may have read. King's X is one of my favorite bands - they rock both live and on CD. Ever since they put out their first record, I have been a huge fan. But let's not get carried away - even I agree they're not prog. They're just a damn good rock and roll band.

Don't get me started on Neal Schon...
Old 03-27-2003, 10:29 AM

Wink Come on Rick and Roll

Come on Rick and Roll, We Were Born To Be Loved is the definition of prog! Just my two cents. I'm glad my post made you smile.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: