Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2003, 10:20 AM

Glass Harp

After Hendrix and SRV were both dead a reporter asked Clapton how it feeled to be unchallenged as the greatest living guitar player. Clapton responded, "I don't know, ask Phil Keaggy."

I've heard Keaggy. He's truly amazing. Does anyone know anything about Glass Harp? They did four albums and opened for Yes in the 70s, but I've never heard a note. The discs are extremely rare and hard to find. Any info?
Old 03-26-2003, 11:24 AM

They've got some sound samples from their recent get togethers at glassharp.net and mp3.com. I'm not sure how much it sounds like their older material though.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:36 PM

Yesspaz-

The three GH studio albums are OOP and hard to find, but they are often listed on ebay.

For a 2-CD reunion concert, go to Phil's site:

www.philkeaggy.com

If you REALLY want to hear Phil's best licks, find the 2-CD live set by The 2nd Chapter of Acts, Phil Keaggy, and "a band called david" entitled "How The West Was One". There is one track where Phil plays a 5 minute unaccompanied electric guitar solo that is like a "mini-concerto". It's amazing!

I have most of Phil's albums. Seen him live about nine times. He is truly the Victor Borge of the guitar.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:27 AM

so close

Can you believe that I was literally less than 300 yards from a free Phil Keaggy solo concert last October and couldn't go?
Old 04-02-2003, 12:16 AM

Yes - Glass Harp rules!

Hey Yesspaz,

I own the self entitled Glass Harp Album as well as "It Makes Me Glad." The self entitled album is a real Gem with some amazing guitar work and jamming. The self entitled album is very textured and orchestral sounding. I was just listening to it earlier today, in fact. It stands out as my favorite "Christian prog" or christian rock for that matter, and one of my favorite records of all.

In my humble opinion, with Glass Harp's first album, Keaggy was at his creative peak. Perhaps this can be attributed somewhat to the fact that he enjoyed tripping on acid a lot during this part of his life. After Keaggy suffered a family death and a bad acid trip he quit Glass Harp and went solo returning to a more conservative Christianity. In both contexts he has made some outstanding records.

As far as "It Makes Me Glad," the record has its moments but was a letdown after hearing their first effort. This album sounds a lot looser, toned down, and hippier.

I have not heard any of Synergy.

As I have stated earlier, I think it would be great to have some Glass Harp featured on this station. They made some wonderful music that I think would appeal to the listeners here.

-Jazs
Old 12-28-2003, 11:24 PM
Owner/Program Director

I've ordered Glass Harp - Hourglass - I couldn't find the first one. I hope it's good...
Old 01-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Owner/Program Director

Listening to "Hourglass" right now. Simultaneously loving it and feeling disappointment. This is a GREAT band. I really want to hear their 70's efforts, 'cause this is a prety damn good disc, but I keep thinking "missed opportunity." I hear Byrds, Beatles, Hendrix, and their own unique flair, all mixed in a progressive stew - but it just feels like it would have clicked better in the 70's. There's a pop element that alternates between catchy and kitsch. Don't know how to explain it better than that. I'm going to add the complete CD, and I'm looking forward to hearing comments.

I commented on Keaggy on another thread , and I'll say I'm getting more impressed as a result of this CD; I'll add that I'm pretty impressed with the drummer, and any regular forum readers know I don't say that often.

Happy New Year! It's been a great one here in San Diego...
Old 01-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Owner/Program Director

Hourglass isn't holding up well with repeated listens - I'd love to hear comments from those who are familiar with the older Glass Harp. It has some moments that are gems, but the vocals are mostly a joke, and they should definitely stay away from the blues. I don't mind that they're attempting different styles, but they failed at the blues, and the album lacks a core feeling or mood.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:21 PM

Hi new to the forums

Being from Cleveland I have seen and heard Glassharp and Phil Keaggy a few time's live back in the day in Ohio.I can say this the best place to pick up some of Phil Keaggy solo stuff is at Religious book store's.IMHO hes one the Best Gutarist along with Frank Marino of all time.

Glade to find this place looking forward to reading and Maybe posting some.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by progdirjim
Hourglass isn't holding up well with repeated listens - I'd love to hear comments from those who are familiar with the older Glass Harp. It has some moments that are gems, but the vocals are mostly a joke, and they should definitely stay away from the blues. I don't mind that they're attempting different styles, but they failed at the blues, and the album lacks a core feeling or mood.
Well, what I do know is that very shortly, they'll be releasing a 3 disc set of live stuff from mainly the past four years of one-off shows. Don't let "Hourglass" and it's lack of focus fool you for one second; these guys still bring it when they get together. There's some that feel that making the last album wasn't even necessary, as it's so unrepresentative of what they really are.

That said, they ARE touring this summer...mainly in 200-400 seaters, as well as a jam type festival here and there (seems to be an interest in that scene, which would be perfect for them IMO).
Old 04-06-2004, 08:44 AM

Actually, there is a live CD recorded in 71 that was released in 97. I heard a few years ago and from what I remeber it was a killer!

Phil Keagggy/ Glass Harp "Live at Carneige Hall"

There is a picture and sound samples at Amazon.com. It seems that one can only buy used though.

Happy Hunting!
Fonzy
Old 04-06-2004, 12:10 PM

Pretty sure "Live At Carnegie Hall" is in print, and can be ordered over at glassharp.net. Killer disc, no doubt!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Enoch
Re: Glass Harp

Love 'em. I like much of Phil Keaggy's work. Although, you all msut know he's a Christian and so is his music. I'm fine with that. Good music is good music. CD's are near to impossible to find, cassettes are available but wearing out and fading. Your best chance to find anything (besides eBay) would be in a christian bookstore (even that is getting difficult). That's where I've found all my Glass Harp. Phil Keaggy's solo stuff is plentiful there though. In my opinion, the best thing he has put out to date is called. Crimson & Blue. There is also a 2 CD compilation which includes some Glass Harp on it called, Time (CD's 1 and 2) under Phil Keaggy.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:24 AM

Most of his stuff is available at www.philkeaggy.com. I purchased Glass Harp Live at Carnegie Hall for 10.00!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: