Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2003, 01:02 PM

Residents/Nick Drake

please consider these 2 albums for inclusion on th eplaylist... The residents .."Fingerprinze"....and nick Drake..."Pink Moon"...thanks!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 09:07 AM
KeithieW

Totally agree with the Nick Drake....

He is a singer/songwriter of profound importance to me and to hear his songs on AM would be just amazing!!!!!!

Who has dressed you in strange clothes of sand
Who has taken you far from my land
Who has said that my sayings were wrong
And who will say that I stayed much too long?

Clothes of sand have covered yor face
Given you meaning but taken my place
So make your way on down to the sea
Something has taken you so far from me.

Does it now seem worth all the colour of skies
To see the earth through painted eyes
To look through panes of shaded glass
See the stains of winter's grass.

Can you now return to from where you came
Try to burn your changing name
Or with silver spoons and coloured light
Will you worship moons in winter's night.

Clothes of sand have covered your face
Given you meaning but taken my place
So make your way on down to the sea
Something has taken you so far from me.

A beautiful man!!!

It was a great loss when he died so young.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:03 PM

Re: Totally agree with the Nick Drake....

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Waye
He is a singer/songwriter of profound importance to me and to hear his songs on AM would be just amazing!!!!!!
Yes, all three of his albums are absoloutely wonderful, although I don't know how much they fit with AM. There are a few songs that might fit though.

Pink Moon is the absoloute best lazy sunday morning record.

Tommy
Old 12-18-2003, 04:45 PM

uh, no

Even for my lax definition of prog, Nick Drake?!! Are You kidding?

HA!!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 05:18 PM

lax definitions

Yesspaz.......I agree...Nick is not exactly prog...but his influence on song writers to this day is quite relevant...I never considered Miles Davis prog either...but he graces AM most likely because of his direct influence on prog.

HA!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 06:48 PM

Miles Davis

To me fusion is 100% prog, so Miles' pioneering fusion albums fit more than well here on Aural Moon.

Surprised to see Nick Drake mentioned here though, but I'm not very familiar with him.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:05 PM
KeithieW

Re: Re: Totally agree with the Nick Drake....

Quote:
Originally posted by Extended Play

Yes, all three of his albums are absoloutely wonderful
Pink Moon is the absoloute best lazy sunday morning record.

Tommy
Thanks Tommy.

How about an EP dedicated to Nick some time. Just to show the likes of Yesspaz what an influence he had on the prog world?
Old 12-19-2003, 01:12 AM

Miles Drake...

Although I consider the greater body of Miles' work to be improvisational JAZZ... his later work most definately crossed the boundries of jazz bandleader and influenced the movement later labeled as jazz fusion....I feel the same is true with Nick Drake.....although the greater body of his work is FOLK, his songwriting and use of the guitar was unprecedented in his genre and has admittedly influenced many English proggers (ie... Kate Bush, Taj Mahal, Peter Gabriel, John Cale)....5 tracks from the 1972 album Pink Moon...."Ride", "Parasite", "Things Behind the sun", "From the Morning", and "Harvest Breed" have guitar work as exquisite as Steve Hackett and Steve Howe combined with lyrics as poignant as Kate's deepest mysticism ........Both Miles and Nick deserve recognition as early influences on the prog style......as an Artist, I detest restrictive labels.....I prefer floating where the boundries are fuzzy....for that is where the creative innovators reside!.......
Old 12-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Owner/Program Director

I'm going to have to listen to Nick again. I borrowed Pink Moon from a friend quite some time ago, and was, um, unimpressed. Now, I can be fickle as a listener, and depending upon my mood and what I look for when listening, my assessment of music sometimes changes. (I listened to this before I was Program Director at AM.)

Now, when assessing whether or not something is prog, I don't get caught up in specific definitions, or some well thought out, logical process. It's kind of a "feel" thing. The final question I ask myself is "Does this feel progressive?" Some music is overwhelmingly yes. Much is overwhelmingly no. And a fair amount is somewhere in between. The challenge for me are those in-between cases. We'll never have 100 percent agreement between myself and all AM listeners. As it stands right now, my feeling on Nick Drake is "no". But, I will borrow it and listen to it again. And keep the comments coming on all artists, because I do consider listener input, and my tastes and feelings about music are continually changing, and hopefully for the better.

And I think I've gone on long enough for now...

Last edited by progdirjim : 12-19-2003 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:21 PM

to be or not to be

progdirjim...thanks for the indepth reply...I am never offended by opinions....I like to debate (can you tell?).... just wanted to make a point that some artist's genres cross over into gray areas...I felt Nick Drake does but ONLY on CERTAIN songs!...not a problem should you disagree....
Old 12-19-2003, 03:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Totally agree with the Nick Drake....

Quote:

How about an EP dedicated to Nick some time. Just to show the likes of Yesspaz what an influence he had on the prog world?

What?!! First, I have heard Nick Drake. Like Jim, not that impressed. Second, his "influence on the prog world?" Huh? Name ONE prog artist who has cited him as an influence....

Last edited by Yesspaz : 12-19-2003 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:32 AM
Owner/Program Director

I'm listening to Nick Drake's Pink Moon as I type. Knowing the story behind it as I listen - well it's an amazing piece of work. I'm still not hearing prog - but please know that that's not an insult. There's a lot of music I consider EXCELLENT that I don't consider prog. This is falling into that category. This is loosely reminding me of Lou Reed's album "Magic And Loss" - written as a result of him losing two friends to cancer within a one year period. Much different sonically, but some similarity in terms of appreciating the depth behind an album.

thanks for the suggestion, if for no other reason than giving me a better appreciation of this album.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:08 AM

magic and loss

No Problem Jim, I totally understand, that is a great comparison to Lou Reed's Magic and Loss. The only reason I thought of Nick as a crossover type artist is that he was writing his music during the formative days of prog and I have heard that some proggers were influenced by him...most notably Kate Bush...... now....what about some Residents?...although they are comic at times, some of their time signatures and chord progressions (particularly on "Fingerprinze") live up to the prog standard and then some!!!!!......Besides.... The band Dün that everyone is raving about...(including myself) owes their left and right nuggets to The Residents for that quirky disjointed style they have.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:24 AM

Mr. Yesspaz

I respect your opinions on Nick Drake...he is not for everyone...

I see you quoted Les Claypool....very nice...I too like Les' insightful lyrics...

"They call me Mr. Knowitall.
I will not compromise.
I will not be told what to do.
I shall not step aside.
They call me Mr. Knowitall.
I have no time to waste.
My mouth it spews pure intellect.
And I have such elegant taste.
They call me Mr. Knowitall
I sup the aged wine.
Oh I could tell such wonderous tales if I should find the time.
I must be Mr. Knowitall for ideas they come in bounds.
I am Mr. Knowitall so spread the word around.
They call me Mr. Knowitall
I am so eloquent.
Perfection is my middle name
and whatever rhymes with eloquent."

LC-1990
Old 12-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Patron

Wink

“Thinking what’s important about Nick Drake is his dark romanticism is like thinking what’s important about Brian Wilson is surfing”
—Robin Frederick

Respect your take on Nick for AM, Jim.

In the meantime, for anyone who isn't too familiar, and would like to be...this is the quintessential Nick site with links that will keep you busy way past Xmas.

http://www.algonet.se/~iguana/DRAKE/DRAKE.html
Old 12-20-2003, 07:34 PM
KeithieW

What a super site.

Thank you mossy for the link to Nick's site. I'd not seen that one before. It is now bookmarked as a fave!!!!!!!

He is/was a marvelous singer/songwriter and very dear to my heart (as you know from out chats/shouts).

Jim,

Even if you don't put Nick up on the playlist I'm glad you listened to him again and I hope you will listen again in the future.....be it 1, 10, 20 years.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:23 AM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally posted by mossy
“Thinking what’s important about Nick Drake is his dark romanticism is like thinking what’s important about Brian Wilson is surfing”
—Robin Frederick

Respect your take on Nick for AM, Jim.

In the meantime, for anyone who isn't too familiar, and would like to be...this is the quintessential Nick site with links that will keep you busy way past Xmas.

http://www.algonet.se/~iguana/DRAKE/DRAKE.html
mossy's first post - yay!

Mossy, re: the R. Frederick quote - I haven't tried to say or even think what's important about Nick Drake. I've got two things going on that are related but still very different - what I think about Nick Drake, and whether or not I add him to Aural Moon. As far as what I think - I see the attraction now, moreso than when I last listened to him. For that, I sincerely thank the suggestors because there's some depth to ND that I am truly enjoying now. I've also gotten a hold of 5 Leaves Left, and am listening to that as well. So far Pink Moon is more impressive to me. As I said earlier, knowing the story behind it... wow.

Again, even though I don't think he will be added to AM, sincere thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:47 AM
KeithieW

Re: Re: Re: Re: Totally agree with the Nick Drake....

Quote:
Originally posted by Yesspaz

Huh? Name ONE prog artist who has cited him as an influence....
On Porcupine Trees's album 'The Sky Moves Sideways' (Delerium Records, 1996) the dedication reads:
"The Sky Moves Sideways is dedicated to Terumi and the spirit of Nick Drake"
Old 12-21-2003, 04:32 AM
Patron

Cool

Jim, thanks.

The quote was a pull out of the hat, and not meant to be directed specifically. Robin Frederick, who was a friend of ND, has done some amazing analyses of a couple of his songs if you are interested. www.robinfrederick.com You'll see the links to the left on her home page.

Glad you're enjoying him more this time, and sincerely understand where you're coming from regarding not including him on AM. Related to your personal experience with ND, when I first heard him in the mid 70's, I didn't have an immediate connection with the music. Had to come back a few years later.

Agree about Pink Moon.

If you want to listen further, I suggest "Time of No Reply". This is a posthumous collection of demos and previously unreleased material. The last four songs: Rider on the Wheel, Black Eyed Dog, Hanging on a Star, and Voice from the Mountain, were the last he recorded in a studio, before his death. They are probably the most emotionally vulnerable songs I've ever had the privilege of hearing. Bring a hankie.

Still haven't got the complete hang on posting on the forums yet, so hope this goes through...
Old 12-22-2003, 01:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Totally agree with the Nick Drake....

Quote:

On Porcupine Trees's album 'The Sky Moves Sideways' (Delerium Records, 1996) the dedication reads:
"The Sky Moves Sideways is dedicated to Terumi and the spirit of Nick Drake"

The Spirit of Nick Drake, sure, but what about the MUSIC of Nick Drake. This site is about progressive music, not artists with spirit. If it were, I'd request Jan Krist, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Neil Young.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: