Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2018, 06:32 AM

Peter Gabriel .... 1973

Name:  Peter Gabriel.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  103.0 KB

I recommend to those who have not already seen this 16mm video and brilliantly edited for a HD viewing and listening of a 1973 GENESIS concert a few months before what I saw with the same show ... shows the greatness of Peter Gabriel ... but also that ... his extraordinary stage presence ... removed visibility to the other members of the group that were called Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins and Stephen Hackett .artists of the same level of Gabriel .. and this was certainly a first cause of the contrasts that led to separation as well as copyright issues on "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
a real pity because peter gabriel would surely have raised the quality of the following albums.

in the first seconds of the video the names of the members of the group are overwritten and among these Stephen Hackett ... I thought it was a mistake and instead Stephen Richard Hackett, called Steve it's the real name of Steve Hackett. I did not know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBc...=RDXcnkjvHXwaU

Good Vision

*** I suggest you listen to it through headphones

Last edited by nicola : 01-25-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:13 AM

Re: Peter Gabriel .... 1973

Incredible. I have versions of this on VHS & DVD.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:44 PM
Patron

wonderful video, I have it on DVD and VHS as well, another good one is the hard to find "Genesis in concert 1976" which is basicly the Seconds Out tour, I have more genesis videos and DVDs but those are the two really worth mentioning for quality.

But the rehearsal tapes (VHS) for "Selling England by the Pound" are amazing even though the quality is just OK
Old 01-25-2018, 02:21 PM

I think the crowd noise(or at least some of it)might be fake. They were playing in smaller venues those days but the crowd makes it sound like there are ten to twenty thousand people there. Unlikely imo. Nonetheless if I could go back in time to one concert that might be it(yes those are my comments on youtube). Anyway, too bad it was never released on cd(other than part of their live box set).

Last edited by Mike413 : 01-25-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:00 PM

I have that 1976 seconds out tour on VHS and I put it to DVD myself. Not super great quality but still good. Bill Bruford on drums.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:21 PM

Mike wrote :I think the crowd noise(or at least some of it)might be fake. and Mike was right.
there was no crowd . The band was filmed in the Sheperton film Studios in London .
october 30 and 31 1973
just at the end of the UK tour and before a CND/ north USA leg tour; intended as a filmed live concert for future release or promotional movie I don't know.
For lack of money they cannot display their full light show , this is the reason why the film is rather dark
Old 01-25-2018, 04:40 PM

Mike413 I do not know if rebuilding the video have added the public ... Mailotron says yes ... if the concert was one of those made in Italy did not need to add the public .... I attended the concert in Rome at the beginning of February 1974 there were more than 12,000 people and in any case in the other dates in Italy in 1974 and 1973 the concerts were always sold out and were carried out in Palasport ... Genesis always thanked the Italian public because it was the first that appreciated their music allowing them to continue their adventure and have also reiterated in 2007 in Rome where I think they have performed the concert with more than 500,000 public at the Circus Maximus and even here I did not miss the opportunity to listen to them even if reduced to only 3 elements ... Tony Banks ... Mike Rutherford ... Phil Collins
Old 01-25-2018, 04:53 PM

Mailotron I had not read the video description .....
Shepperton Studios, UK: 30/31 October 1973 .... then I agree with you on the addition of the public
Old 01-25-2018, 05:06 PM

Smile Re: Peter Gabriel .... 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicola View Post
Mailotron I had not read the video description .....
Shepperton Studios, UK: 30/31 October 1973 .... then I agree with you on the addition of the public
Buona sera Nico,
some sources said that there was some guests at Sheperton but of course not an ecstatic crowd as usual when they played in Italy and in Belgium .... back then ...Nursery Cryme was n° 1 in both countries in 1972 ... glory days
Ciao
maillot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: