Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > The Rickter Scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 PM

Rickter Scale Show 210

airing Sunday, January 11 from 8-11 PM EST and Monday, January 12, 1-4 PM EST

At the Rites of Spring Festival last year, our Moon friend Lamour gave me some music to listen to. Well, "some" meant 131 songs covering a diverse of styles from alternative, jazz, fusion, folk, and new age. Even some a cappella stuff. All fine music - and I'm finally getting some of it on the show. Some of the bands like Il Berlione I'd not heard, and bought their CD's. Some really fun songs and always interesting. Here's the selections for this week's show:

Be Bop Deluxe - Sister Seagull
Dark - Trilok
Le Orme - In Ottobre
Banco De Gaia - Touching the Void
Deus Ex Machina - Lo Stato Dello Cose
Cherry Five - The Picture of Dorian Gray
CAN - Splash
Spacetime Continuum - Freezone
Il Berlione - Lama
Il Berlione - Make You Die, Your Brain
Il Berlione - Koenji Sake Bar
Il Berlione - At The Foot of the Polyethylene Tree
Univers Zero - Dense
Univers Zero - Parade
Cindy Blackman - Spank
Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin - Levi Stubbs' Tears
Max Lasser's Ark - More Sun, Please
Phish - Maze
Garabek, Shankar, Gurtu, Hussain - I Know
Bel Canto - Continuum
Bel Canto - Spider Dust
Flairck - Voorspel In Sofia
Eat Static - Abnormal Interference
VDGG - When She Comes
Naruto Theme

Long songs, short ones, many different styles. When you see Lamour in shout, ask him about some of these, they're well worth the time. Thanks!

Last edited by Rick and Roll : 01-07-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Patron

Send a message via Yahoo to Kazuhiro
Re: Rickter Scale Show 210

Thank you of we can always be amused.
Expressive various music is here.
The name of Cindy Blackman and Cherry Five enlarges my enjoyment
further.

By the way, Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin holds the concert in Japan in March
this year.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:36 AM
KeithieW

Perfect description Rick. Lamour gave me one of those CDs too and I still play it from time to time. A good selection there.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to lamour

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithieW View Post
Perfect description Rick. Lamour gave me one of those CDs too and I still play it from time to time. A good selection there.
yeah, I made one for everyone who went to rosfest. glad to hear that someone has listened to it. ;-)
Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to lamour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
Here's the selections for this week's show:
Rick, I think this is your best show yet! ;-)

Since most others here don't have the benefit of the liner notes I wrote for the CD, I'd just like to say that part of the goal of the CD I made was to introduce people to some music which was outside of the boundaries of prog that I thought prog people might find interesting. Rick has picked some of those songs for this show, so brace yourself.

Quote:
Dark - Trilok
A friend of mine got this CD on a recommendation, and I guess he didn't like it, so he sold it to me for close to nothing. This song in particular is quite awesome, IMHO.

Quote:
Le Orme - In Ottobre
This is from my favorite Le Orme album.

Quote:
Banco De Gaia - Touching the Void
Like most of Banco de Gaia's songs, this takes a while to build up, but I think the payoff is worth it.

Quote:
Cherry Five - The Picture of Dorian Gray
Hard to figure out where this album came from. Best I've been able to figure out, this was recorded BEFORE Goblin was formed, but not released until after. Great album.

Quote:
Spacetime Continuum - Freezone
I actually picked this up in a used record store that let's you listen to the CDs before you buy them. I find the juxtaposition of the jazzy elements with the...non-jazzy elements to be pretty interesting (trying not to say too much here).

Quote:
Il Berlione - Lama
Il Berlione - Make You Die, Your Brain
Il Berlione - Koenji Sake Bar
Il Berlione - At The Foot of the Polyethylene Tree
The real reason I made the CD was to make sure that everyone got a chance to hear this phenomenal band. I'm not sure why everyone has forgotten about them, but I am floored by both the technical abilities of all of the band members and their ability to use them effectively to make songs I never get bored listening to. A lot of bands with this much talent tend to write songs which sound calculated and dry, making it hard to listen to over and over again.

Quote:
Cindy Blackman - Spank
One of my favorite drummers. She became the drummer for Lenny Kravitz after I'd already bought a few of her albums. I was surprised at first, since she's such an excellent jazz drummer. This is maybe my favorite Cindy Blackman song.

Quote:
Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin - Levi Stubbs' Tears
Yes, THAT Dave Stewart. Not that you'd know it from listening to any of their stuff. This band is all about pop music. I have all 3 of their albums, and I like the first 2 quite a bit. I love the way this song flows into the quoted section.

Quote:
Max Lasser's Ark - More Sun, Please
I actually picked up this CD for $3 in a cut-out bin a long time ago. Probably because I liked the album cover or something. Easily my favorite New Age album. Almost every song on this CD is pure gold, IMHO. I got a couple of his other albums, but I didn't like any of them nearly as much.

Quote:
Phish - Maze
This is Phish's proggiest album, IMHO. I like all of the early Phish, but this is probably my favorite album. I like the other song from this album that I put on the CD a little more than this one, but this is still a great song.

Quote:
Garabek, Shankar, Gurtu, Hussain - I Know
Sadly, of all the Jan Garbarek songs I put on the CD, Rick only picked one. I assume length came into play. This is a pretty good song though.

Quote:
Bel Canto - Continuum
Bel Canto - Spider Dust
I love their singer. I have no idea how many languages she knows, because she sings in a lot of different ones. On accident, while looking up info on another band that I put on the CD (Snakefarm), I found out that one of the guitarists from Univers Zero was a session musician on the first Bel Canto album I bought.

Quote:
Flairck - Voorspel In Sofia
This song rocks. Unfortunately, none of their other songs are anything like this. Not that they are bad, but this is easily the most energetic song I've heard from them.

Quote:
Eat Static - Abnormal Interference
Ozric Tentacles spin-off band. Probably not what you expect, unless you already know who they are. ;-)

Quote:
Naruto Theme
This song is excellent. Pretty heavy rock song with traditional japanese instruments. Not something you hear every day. ;-)

Quote:
Long songs, short ones, many different styles. When you see Lamour in shout, ask him about some of these, they're well worth the time. Thanks!
That's almost everything interesting I have to say about these songs, but you can always ask. ;-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: