Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
COTM - #158 - One Shot and Secret Oyster

Greetings Moontonians.

A beautiful Memorial Day weekend shaping up here is the south (well, if you like sunny, hot and humid). A great weekend to grill flesh and consume mass quantities of your favorite brewery or vineyard.

I ran across a recording the other day that sparked some memories of NearFest 2007. It was the only year I had ever been able to attend the festival, but it was a great year. Well, what I ran across was a Live recording of Secret Oyster (their 1st performances in about 30 years). That was also the year One Shot performed, which is a fusion based Zeuhl band that was formed from ex-members of Magma (also performing that year at NearFest).

One shot was a new experience from me. I had never heard them before. But they kicked some fusionistic a**. They are improvisational based but bring the compositional features of Zeuhl in to the music. It's hard driving and shifts from melodic to percussive cacophony and back. It soars and falls with reckless abandon and then lets you off gently back where you started.

I have two albums from One Show for you, their debut album (originally eponymous, but when it was remastered and reissued on CD in 2010 by Soleil Zeuhl, it was retitled as Reforged. The 2nd album will be a live recording from Tokyo in 2011. I'll begin with Reforged. I will interrupt the two albums with the Secret Oyster Live In The USA 2007.

Secret Oyster was (and I mean this in the best possible way) one of several Return To Forever clones. The other clones primarily included Passport, and Iceberg as well as a few other lesser known groups. The music from this album is very melodic and low key. They are certainly capable of stronger and fast paced compositions. That was just the set they chose for this event. So check out their other material, which includes 4 other albums.

I do hope you can join me this week. I'll see you on the Radio.

Happiness is a worn pun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: