Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Concert Happenings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 12:24 PM

Montreal Prog Music Festival:FMPM

Just thought that I would chime in with my impressions of this festival being hel this weekend. I attended the festival with my 18 year old son who has been developing into a big prog fan. On the bill for day 1 were Spaced Out, Knight Area and Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso. I can't say that I knew any of these bands but was intereseted in seeing Spaced Out since I heard a lot of people praising them.

First I wanted to say that the venue is great being a samll hall in the middle of a bustling downtown scene on St. Denisstreet. lots of restaurants and bars in the area to keep everyone happy.

Spaced Out (3:00 - 4:00)

Spaced Out is as much of Jazz as I want in my Rock. Although the musicians were exellent I had the same criticism as I have ith most Jazz: too much noodling. I've come to realize that music that i enjoy must have progression as in telling a story. Jazz, to my ears, seems to going around in circles with splashes of musical ideas. Tough for me to enjoy, especially upon hearing it the firt time.

I missed Knight Area since it was such a beautifulday and my son wanted to walk aroud downtown.

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso (9:15 - 11:!5)

I admit to knowing little to nothing about this band although I had a vague idea what I would hear having listened to some samples the day of the concert. Having said that I was not prepared to be blown away by these guys. The band consists of 6 excellent musicians and an great charismatic pseudo-opera singer. Hearing the power and passion of his voice took me by surprise especially coming from someone who looks like a giant Ewok. The songs were long, mostly upbeat with great Italian-style melodies. They told a story that can only move you. The crowd was really into them and gave them a standing ovation after almost every song. I could tell that my son also enjoyed them since he asked to stay for the encore. Now I am wondering whether I should buy some of their CD's sine I am often seduced by the concert moment and find that the studio stuff lacks the magic (3 for example). I would appreciate any comments from my moon buds.

We are eally looking forward to Riverside today. I will give you my impressions later.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:08 PM

Re: Montreal Prog Music Festival:FMPM

A lot of my friends are there, and that's the one place I did not go this year that I wanted to. Thanks z, look forward to hearing more from you...
Ewok
Old 09-14-2008, 03:08 PM
la familia patron

thanks for the reviews, the one festival that would have completed my North American prog fest tour dream. Next year?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Patron

all 3 of these bands are played on the moon...so delve in and enjoy Z!!! and thanks for the review.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 AM

Day 2:

On tap were Interference Sardines fro Quebec, Charles Kaczynski from Quebec, Riverside, and Univers Zero. Unfortunately we only saw Riverside due to my son's schedule conflicts. I really was hoping to see Charles Kaczynski and Univers Zero especially the latter for their strong visual component to the show.

Riverside

I am a bg fan of this band and have all their CD's so I was really looking forward to this. As was already suggested by other members of Aural Moon, Riverside is fairly tight in concert however I didn't find the musicianship of the individuals up to par with the general prog bands that I have seen live. I guess that their strength is more in the song writing although I also found this a bit thin and prone to sounding formulaic by the end of the concert. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the concert immensely but I was slightly disappointed by their lack of depth. I especially enjoy the singer's voice however in concert he needs to shed the typical rock star screaming at the audience especially given their size and average age (He should take some notes from Mikael Ackerfeld and Maynard Keenan). I should give a special mention of the guitarist Piotr Something-ski. The guy was in a zone and didn't seem to be chemically induced. His solos, timing, pitch, everything was bang on. Even when his eyes were open his focus was somewhere else (maybe a telepathic link with David Gilmour and Steve Rothery to help with those tasteful solos). Overally a good concert by they need to dig a little deeper to get to the next level. Why they didn't play Second Life Syndrome for a prog crowd is a mystery.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvinki View Post
Day 2:

Riverside

I am a bg fan of this band and have all their CD's so I was really looking forward to this. As was already suggested by other members of Aural Moon, Riverside is fairly tight in concert however I didn't find the musicianship of the individuals up to par with the general prog bands that I have seen live. I guess that their strength is more in the song writing although I also found this a bit thin and prone to sounding formulaic by the end of the concert. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the concert immensely but I was slightly disappointed by their lack of depth. I especially enjoy the singer's voice however in concert he needs to shed the typical rock star screaming at the audience especially given their size and average age (He should take some notes from Mikael Ackerfeld and Maynard Keenan). I should give a special mention of the guitarist . The guy was in a zone and didn't seem to be chemically induced. His solos, timing, pitch, everything was bang on. Even when his eyes were open his focus was somewhere else (maybe a telepathic link with David Gilmour and Steve Rothery to help with those tasteful solos). Overally a good concert by they need to dig a little deeper to get to the next level. Why they didn't play Second Life Syndrome for a prog crowd is a mystery.
This is a very honest characterization, and true to what I saw back at Nearfest, except they did do 2nd life and it was glorious (sorry z).

Abigail's Ghost did the shouting thing too at Progday, but I chalk that up to the young and exuberant. Some of us old fogies need some prompting.

I like the Gilmour characterization. They opened with some of Shine On at NF and it was dead-on.

"Piotr Something-ski"...lol...I hope Wojtek Something-ski isn't listening
Old 09-15-2008, 08:08 PM
la familia patron

And I thought it was me.. I had the same impression of Riverside when I saw them at Baja Prog.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:37 AM
KeithieW

Riverside.......Mortis and I went to see them in London at the Underworld club in Camden Town. Definitely a good gig but IT WASN'T LOUD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!! That spoilt it for me to a degree.

My friend Steve was hoping for something HEAVY and actually left 2/3 of the way through their set because he couldn't get his head around the fact that they'd "get an idea going which looked as it it might go somewhere interesting and then stop and move on to another idea ad nauseum". I think that's a bit harsh but I can see his point to a degree.

I still love their albums and will continue to get them though.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:22 AM

Actually, Keithie, they weren't very loud. As a matter of fact the whole festival was played at reasonable levels. I guess they recognize the average age of the paying crowd. Speaking of age, Riverside definitely attracted a younger crowd. I also saw young parents dragging their 5 year olds into it.

I disagree with your friend. I like the change of pace that Riverside, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, and many other new prog bands put into their music.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to the_original_ib

Glad some of you could make it up. I also prefer the "non-blasted" sound. One of the few times I can watch live music during the day and not feel like I've lost some hearing that night. I thought Riverside's set was quite good although I was surprised they played so much "Out of Myself" and did not play "Second Life Syndrome". Maybe they were trying to have a "more prog, less metal" set?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: