Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2006, 02:11 PM

Moonies band project back ?

Hello Moonies !
As you probably remember I wanted to set a musical project with those among you who're musicians, and as far as I can remember we didn't have any music to play, and I have never been a composer myself.

But, some weeks ago, I began to write a song, and now I have enough to make a complete song, but I'm not satisfied, because it would be a simple and boring song. My proposal is the following: if you're still interested in the Moonies band project, why wouldn't we work together on my music and try to improve it together ? Then we could record it properly and after that maybe work on other things ... I wondered if some of you were interested in covering some songs too (Firth of Fifth by Genesis, Arriving Somewhere by Porcupine Tree, Ice by Camel for an example), but first I'd like to finish my song.

So, are you still interested ?
I wrote the song with GuitarPro5, so for those who can't read music I can export it as a midi file and send it by mail. Waiting for your answers Moonies, I'm looking forward to work with you on this project.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:15 AM

Re: Moonies band project back ?

Elric,

In a few weeks, I may have a vehicle to bring the interested parties together. I'm involved with a company with the main purpose of bringing musicians together. I'll let you know if it's helpful.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:25 PM

Dudes!!! and I say that like I'm some young punk kid rocker....(NOT!!).....(wannabe) . As you may have seen, I am working on getting back into playing again. I used to be a pretty fair bass player and not too bad of a lead guitar player. I'm working on learning to record with computer programs and getting some movement back in my stiff old fingers. I don't know how many players are here at AM, but if my quality of playing is good enough, I'd be more than happy to help out. Once I have something recorded I'm happy with, I'll share it with RickandRoll....and if he thinks it OK.........(I ain't GREAT by any means)....I'd be honored to participate.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:14 PM

Hey all,

Sounds great! I have been doing that on the Gentle Giant list and you can check out some of our results at http://cdbaby.com/cd/gianthour since they have pretty nice sized samples. Some of that was collaborative, and some of it was just people doing their own thing. Mine is the last tune on there, but I hardly play anything on it since my partner did so well. Anyways, I love doing this kind of thing and would love to join you guyz. I play a bit of bass and keyboards, though I am not very prficient, I have come up with some decent parts. I also have some unfinished works and perhaps we could use those. Kirk turned us on to Riff Trader, and that seems like a cool way to exchange files, or maybe Rick sounds likehe may have something for us...either way, I can tell you that it WILL be fun! So I hope to be able to join you. I think that what some of us have in common is the fact that we've been away from music due to that proverbial day job, kids, and life in general. But I too have delved back into it and what's kinda cool is that as I play the keys, these new tunes come up from nowhere...I love it!

Last edited by Andyyyy : 03-12-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:33 PM

Hi again,
I just read the original thread by Elric and I did not realize this was somewhat in motion, so let me offer some thoughts from my perspective as one who has organized a similar project on a similar list. I'm glad to see Elric is not giving up. Persistence pays. Motivating people with day jobs and little time can be trying, but it can be done. We just have to repeat ourselves (I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat). If I may suggest something, I think it could make sense for those who are writers to actually post your work where prospective players can download and see if they get inspired to do a part. I might write a great tune, but that doesn't mean that every guitar player will relate to it musically. OTOH, one may say "hey, I have an idea for that!" If there is a plate to choose from, people could choose what inspires them more. This is not to say your approach is wrong, it's just another way to look at this type of thing. Wojtek said he had some things already written. Perhaps we can hear some these ideas, or others that he doesn't have destined for his own CD. I can submit a few things that are half-baked. Maybe one of you could come up with some ideas to finish these off, maybe put a little icing on them as well. A couple are in MIDI format, so changing things around would be easy. Just some food for thought
(Any reseblence to King Crimson in the above is purely coincidental)

Last edited by Andyyyy : 03-13-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:24 AM

i could probably offer myself to help out.

my forte' in past collabs has been guitar parts, melody maker, lyrics and vox performance. i usually get the piece at the end (or nearly so) when all it's 'parts' and arrangements are mapped out clearly...

ric.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:53 AM

Ok Moonies, so where can I put that midifile to download ? Or would you like me to send it by mail individually ? For those who have guitar pro I can send them the tab, so that they could already try to add or change some things. Just tell me ...

Oh, I only have access to the internet on weekends so if you want to ask me sth, please excuse me for answering one week later.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:41 PM

hey Elric- just passing by.

i created a lockbox at rifftrader for moonie projects-
www.rifftrader.com- go to users/lockbox, user auralmoon, pswd-moonies.
this makes all users administrators.
add your info to the boxes. i filled mine in to illustrate.
files are purged after 72 hrs.

i've found there's no need to go to the DL page, re-sign in.
on the main, PC users R click, "save target as".
if you can't make that work, go to the DLs page.

happy jamming!

kirk

www.cdbaby.com/zenpool
available at itunes, toweronline, bestbuyonline,
sony direct, rhapsody, loudeye...
IOMA award winner "best producer"2004

Last edited by kirk : 03-17-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:41 PM

Ok, thanks a lot for your help. The guitar pro file and the midi file are on the riff trader account for 72h counting from now.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:40 PM

OK Elric,
I had some fun with this tonight! I started making a couple changes and additions, and it's up to you to keep them or discard them. Sometimes when someone else adds a part it might give you another idea, so rather than keeping this for the week like I said in the email to you earlier, I will post what I have. You can add some chords, maybe if I may suggest adding some quarter notes in some places? Anyway, see what you think. My changes and additions go from the 22nd bar to the 44th, after that it's what you had. I don't know if it was the program that you used that had the time signature as 4/4, but you were actually playing in 3/4, so I fixed that.

Enjoy and let's see what you bring us next week!

Last edited by Andyyyy : 03-17-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:24 PM

Hey Andy, I heard what you did on the midi sample. The changes you made are great, I guess we'll keep that the way you changed it, that's exactly the kind of ideas I was looking for. I wanted the song to sound like this, progressive, evolutive, and not just flat and tasteless. If all Moonies have ideas like that it'll be quicker than I thought to do something better than I expected !
Great job friend, thanks a lot ! I'm waiting for other suggestions from other Moonies. When the song is finished will be the more interesting part: recording it with real instruments, not just as a .mid file.

Let's wait and see if someone has inspiration to do something else.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:11 PM

Hey Elric,
I'm glad you liked the additions! I left off some chords you can probably throw in there (for the strings), see what else you can come up with to complete those ideas...maybe someone else will pick this up too...
Old 03-23-2006, 06:59 PM
El Queso Grande

Location: Feet from the southern tip of the San Francisco Bay. Pity me.
Send a message via ICQ to Roger -Dot- Lee Send a message via AIM to Roger -Dot- Lee

Just a quick one: if you want to cover Genesis, might I recommend Watcher of the Skies, or Dance on a Volcano?

I'd make other recommendations, but now that I look at them, the songs I'd like to cover generally range in the 20-30 minute range, and would be a real bear to try to coordinate over distances.

Just my $.02

Roger -Dot- Lee, adjusted for inflation
Officially sanctioned station dude emeritus
Generally agreed upon second in command of OS, Web, and hardware. On the Moon.

"[m]y iPod is solar powered" Aural Moon!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:12 AM

Back for the weekend !

Well I just changed something in what you did because I had no time to think for something else: because of the signature change you made, the bass and the guitar were not together in the end of the midi file, so I just corrected it, and posted it on rifftrader.

For a Genesis cover I guess you're probably right, your idea is probably better, but Firth of Fifth is my Genesis favourite, that's why I'd like to cover it, which is not a problem if you want to cover other songs: the more we play the more we have fun right ?

Well grindstone waits for no one, work is calling back
Bye
Old 03-27-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyyyy
Wojtek said he had some things already written. Perhaps we can hear some these ideas, or others that he doesn't have destined for his own CD.
My stuff are albums so I understand (and actually agree with) that it may be too much for the people who want to make something that is common effort. I could give the track but I agree there may be no point in thinking about conceptual things or epics etc.

And I must say that I take my best things for albums so if something isn't destined for it then it means that it isn't probably among my best things.

However, I've got the album from 2001 (like all until now recorded at home with no "real" instruments but with midi banks etc.), and I don't have plans connected with this. There are some moments there we could take and improve, some better tracks of this album too. Not my best stuff as a whole album but I like a few tracks/fragments of it.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:09 AM

To be less mysterious:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7MMHMLX9 - example of track from the 2001 album. Actually one of the less rocky on it but shwos well diversity which is important in the multipersonal group. This is rock version of Grieg's classic themes (including In The Hall of Mountain King) with a bit of my melodies and in my arrangement.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T2BZDBXU - and here's how more or less sounds my stuff recently. Still not "real" drums, bass etc. but this will change soon as we're working on this track and here's fragment of it's early version, draft (that's why drums are crap here, it is very difficult for me to do passages on the keyboard ). One surprise is that Moses is playing one of the guitars here! Pity that due to the fact he's very busy we had to suspend cooperation.

Last edited by Wojtek : 03-27-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:42 AM

OK, I'm a dummy! I was wondering what happened to the next part and it turns out I missed Elric's post. Sorry Elric, feel free to email the MIDI file, I'll try and look on the weekend, though this one will be busier than usual.

Woj,
I love your music! Very nice interpretation of the Hall of the Mountain King. Almost better than Wakeman's

I was thinking of a bass part to it...but with me, thinking it and playing it could be two different things, LOL!

What are you looking to do with it? Perhaps we can replace some MIDI tracks with real instruments? Seems like the structure is in place... anyone else have an idea for this? IF so, would you like to send me the MIDI file? Maybe I could start a multitrack Sonar file... How does that sound?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyyyy
What are you looking to do with it? Perhaps we can replace some MIDI tracks with real instruments? Seems like the structure is in place... anyone else have an idea for this? IF so, would you like to send me the MIDI file? Maybe I could start a multitrack Sonar file... How does that sound?
What am I looking to do with it? Hmm.. I don't know, I uploaded it just like an example. I don't know what the band wants to do but we have to remember that Mountain King is not 100% rock and it doesn't have vocals. So I don't know if the band wants to start from something like that. I fos I'm happy with it.

But I can upload (and will do that probably in a moment) very catchy 7 minute track from the same album. From old "era" of my tracks there are some that I consider pretty good and this is definitely one of the best. Good for guitarists as there is main catchy riff and lots of rush-like arpeggios.

BUT

I'd like to mention one of my albums. I know I was one of the last who joined this discussion but if nothing is goin' on let me tell you about my reflection. I've got album which is definitely my best so far. I'm not one to judge it's value music-wise but I'm sure - and sorry for being immodest here - it has bloody, bloody good atmosphere and is real musical journey. Space psychedelic concept about Imagination. Concept written, all recorded. Just to replace not real instruments (apart from most keyboards) into real. And to record vocals.
I have planned to record it in a few years but actually it is the album that is quite simple to record and better production in a few eyars wouldn't add much to it as all value leis here in concept and atmosphere. Most of keyboards musn't be changed sound-wise as this is what creates all here. But still it can be done and most of all it could go very quick.
..and one rmoe thing. This album is damn demanding for the drummer.

I'm not saying "let's do it man!" as I don't want to impose. Perhaps other potential members of the band here want something else. But please think it over. I can offer you concept album to record and it is already 50% complete.

Andy - I'll send you something regarding Imagination idea in a moment. Please write what you think of it here. What do you think of this music and whole idea?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:19 PM

Well Woj,

My thinking is to put it all out in the open as suggestions and see who is moved by what. Maybe what moves me will not move the next person, so that's why I was thinking of this approach. Also, if you wish to keep something for a future album, by all means, do so. It's your music. I love instrumentals, so I really don't mind the absence of vocals. As to my own opinion, I think Mountain King could be a challenge for me. And if someone else wants to play bass, just say so. I could try a keyboard part, though I think Woj's already got that covered very well!

I think we could work on Elric's piece at the same time. The difference being that Woj's piece is already developed compositionally, whereas Elric's piece needs compositional work...and that could lead to something interesting, I think, having a multi-composer piece of music...could be a cool experiment!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:17 PM

OK,
I got Misoginist this afternoon and now had a chance to play it...over and over... You have a lot of what I love in music. Odd time sigs, 4/4 for contrast, and, it can take the listener places, it moves and it's fresh...exactly what I want music to do. Very nicely done!

Where you said: "This album is damn demanding for the drummer." I think you meant that the music is crying out for a real drummer, right? I agree. I think you're right. This is pretty much ready for real drums, maybe a guitar. Kirk and I have had discussions about real drums vs very well written drum grooves made with really good samples. I must say that he impressed me with his drum programming. The only thing I think I would miss from that is that drummers think differently from other musicians, and as my own choice, I would prefer to be surprized by a drummer's interpretation of what he would feel his part should be. But some composers have a clear idea of what they want, in which case they can do what Kirk does with his music. You also have a keyboard bass part there. I like to vary things and would suggest a bass player add a part (yeah, bass players can think differently too ), but that's up to you as these are matters of personal preferrence.

Aren't you sorry you asked?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: