Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > General Discussion/Prog News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Progger since 1966

Olympic Oldfield

Hi buds,
Were you as surprised to hear Tubular Bells in the Olympic opening as I was?
There he was, Mike Oldfield, starting with a Bass, switching to the Guitar, and playing for 11 minutes.

Let me tell you, he was great. The Olympic Opening was as dry as an English Biscuit. Pastoral, Industrial, Giant Voldemort being attacked by a fleet of Mary Poppins? and the inflatable bizarre baby. ...not good. (Sorry KW...)

Most during the Bell..... yikes, that wasn't his fault...

And which Bell? Bell no. 5 or 6? I'm sure Jim has heard enough versions...

BTW. Why all the versions over the years? I for one loved every one for its own merits throughout the decades. Each has groundbreaking Sonic properties.

What Mike did with me was push the limits of every Quality Stereo System Ive owned for 40 years. His engineering and productions forced the limits of Imaging and Separation. His utter clarity of the musical note is to be astonished by listening on a high-end system. Try QE2, Lake from Discovery, Simon Phillips on CRISIS. Pierre Moerlen, Peka Pojola, Phil, they all heard what I heard after the Bell was long gone History. At the turn of the Century Mike had a Concert, the Millennium Bell. (a super DVD), this Olympic performance was reminiscent musically to that version of the Bell. the Exorcist was almost a half-century ago, this was not your mothers Bell.

Here is an Article where Mike Speaks on his involvement with the Olympics http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...-ceremony.html

So.... the healthcare bit, the Mary Poppins, ...Yikes
but:

Bravo Mike, great to see you, Bravo!

Last edited by sharcnorris : 07-28-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:30 PM

Re: Olympic Oldfield

I saw it the second time around really late(or really early in the morning I should say)but it was worth it.

Anyway, it was cool to see. I enjoyed most of the opening ceremonies but having Mike in there was certainly a high point. It was good to see his name on the screen and have the announcers acknowledge him and TB also. Way to go Mike.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Patron

yep, it was great to see Oldy. I basically tuned in just to see him.

BTW, the 1975 Orchestral Tubular Bells is one of my favorite versions.

And Sharc, thanks for the link.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Progger since 1966

I almost forgot.... Didn't Rowland Atkinson play in Mikes Band Wonderfully? His one note made the piece you go Mr. Bean
Geez, how stupid, of course it was Chariots and Mr.Bean, Thank Mike for setting me right... it was funny...

Last edited by sharcnorris : 07-28-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:01 PM

I don't remember that but I do remember him playing with the guys who were doing "Chariots of Fire." That was a funny sequence also. But since "Chariots of Fire" was written and recorded by Vangelis(who could be considered prog)played with Jon who was in Yes there's another prog connection right there.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Progger since 1966

Thanks Mike, your absolutly right... I got carried away, Mr. Bean on CHARIOTS was very funny... Thanks again m8
Old 07-28-2012, 06:36 PM

Hey no problem and thanks for posting this thread Sharc.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:09 AM
KeithieW

The opening event was very British because it was held in The UK.

As for being dry as an english biscuit perhaps you need to try some custard creams or bourbon bickies. Perhaps it's the old, old problem of British humour (and there was a LOT of it in the ceremony) is a bit too "out there" for some people to grasp. Nothing wrong with that......

I thought the whole thing was excellent and made me feel very proud of my nation.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 PM

sharrccc,,so nice to read you. you have a writer touch amigo...I would read your stories.
what happened to me watching Oldfield ,,nice surprise,,among tons of acts and music from uk ,,then I felt involved in ceremony only for music,,and great performance ,,before that,just it was a huge 'production' nothing else.
see you my friend
Old 07-29-2012, 07:03 PM

( and that it means 'huge' in a whole best meaning.....just music connected me )
Old 07-30-2012, 09:23 AM

It was a very proggy opening ceremony. Started with 'Jerusalem' (which we all know thanks to ELP), then Oldfield, Vangelis, and ending with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon played over the fireworks at the end.
I enjoyed the opening ceremony; I felt the technology segment was too long, but otherwise liked all the segments. The Rowan Atkinson bit made my mom laugh and she hasn't had cause to laugh in a long time; it was wonderful to hear.
The Queen and Bond bit was a good laugh too.
Jolly good show!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Patron

I really enjoyed the opening ceremony as well for many of the reasons already expressed. I was wondering if you noticed the floating pig over the Battersea Power Station during one of the helicopter flyovers during the ceremony. Made me lol.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Patron

Associated Press blurb where Mike Oldfield talks about his performance at the opening ceremonies of the Olympics...

Mike Oldfield says Olympic ceremony role an honor

LONDON (AP) — Mike Oldfield wants to use the Olympics opening ceremony as a rallying cry. The British musician performed part of his hit "Tubular Bells" live during Friday's spectacular, and says it was an honor — and a vindication for a much-reviled musical genre: instrumental rock. "Tubular Bells" was released in 1973 and sold millions. But a few years later the punk movement triggered a backlash against its brand of progressive rock. Oldfield says it's time for a comeback. He said Tuesday he hopes to use exposure from the ceremony "as a relaunch for instrumental music — real music. Let's throw away all the computer software." The 59-year-old says he felt a "glow of pride" when Danny Boyle asked him to be in the ceremony, which celebrated five decades of British music.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: