Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Aural Moon Programming > Corner of the Mooniverse
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale
Talking COTM - Album/Artist Feature #5 - The Strawbs

I'm not sure why, but I've had my mind on British bands all last week. Can't figure it out. So, this week I will be putting the spotlight on The Strawbs.

With David Cousins as the front man, The Strawbs are a Prog Folk group that made a somewhat unique transformation into full blown 70's Prog Rock group. Currently the group switches back and forth with different lineups - one playing mostly acoustic versions, the other the rock versions.

This is the group that perhaps would have made a larger and earlier leap into Prog Rock had they won the Rick Wakeman lottery. Alas, he was to move on quickly from his brief appearance on their 1970 album Dragonfly and his full support on the 1971 From The Witchwood. Witchwood was their first 'baby step' toward prog rock and was followed up by the 1972 Grave New World. They had to, however, move forward without Wakeman as he was scouted and recruited by Yes.

Two years later and other giant leap forward into Prog Rock brought us Hero and Heroine. This is my personal favorite of their albums, but I know many like the songs from earlier albums. This just happened to be the one I heard first when in High School and it was in my regular rotation.

I hope you will enjoy these two albums from The Strawbs. I bring you to Grave New World (1972) and Hero and Heroine (1974).

I have included the Bonus tracks from the re-release on CD at the end of the program. Just cause I like you.

This show goes out to my dear friend GORT and KEITHIEW, our resident Strawbs worshipers. Enjoy and God Save The Queen.

Dale

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM

Re: COTM - Album/Artist Feature #5 - The Strawbs

Thanks Dale.

Excellent choice, great memories.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Monkeyboy =)

Yes indeed it was an excellent choice...
thanks
Dale
Old 05-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

Thank you L9 & Marquer. I appreciate it, especially that you did comment. I love to get feedback since I'm not around for the playing very often.

Don't forget the repeats Wed. moring for our European listeners and Friday night for the party animals.

See you on the corner.

dale

Happiness is a worn pun!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Patron

sorry I missed it, timing doesn't fit my schedule...but I have the CDs

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: