Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2007, 10:11 AM

Kate Bush: The Kick Inside

Would it be possible to add this?

It has a song--I think it's called "Wuthering Heights"--that has one of the most amazing vocal performances I've ever heard.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:29 PM

Re: Kate Bush: The Kick Inside

I have this. Jim, would you want me to upload it?

Rick
Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 AM

While on the subject of the beautiful Kate, I have a question that's been on my mind for years.

I love Kate's music. She's brilliant. But I never understood her connection to the prog rock crowd. Like myself, many prog rockers love Kate. But she certainly isn't prog. Yeah, I know she's got a tenuous Dave Gilmour and Alan Parsons connection...but what is it, do you think, that endears her to the prog crowd?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Show Host & Administrator

Send a message via AIM to OverHillandDale Send a message via Yahoo to OverHillandDale

If you listen just to the voice, not quite prog. Listen more carefully to the musical compositions in the background. And then remember a lot of that was mid to late 70's and early 80's. That was very progressive.

Her style was unconventional. That also made it more progressive.

It really, in most circles it is considered "Art Rock" along with Brian Ferry and Roxy Music, and that gets lumped intogether with prog these days.

But that's just this ole hippies opinion.

And besides - she's just a babe. Not many of those in the prog scene. Need more!

Happiness is a worn pun!

Last edited by OverHillandDale : 06-26-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFD View Post
While on the subject of the beautiful Kate, I have a question that's been on my mind for years.

I love Kate's music. She's brilliant. But I never understood her connection to the prog rock crowd. Like myself, many prog rockers love Kate. But she certainly isn't prog. Yeah, I know she's got a tenuous Dave Gilmour and Alan Parsons connection...but what is it, do you think, that endears her to the prog crowd?
you know how much i hate this prog vs non-prog, but here's my opinion.

The connection between a "progger" and someone is not really enough to make it prog. However, the connection is more than tenuous. Gilmour and Bush have worked very closely together. She's also worked with Eberhard Weber and Peter Gabriel.

I never understood why some artists get a free "prog pass". Gabriel's "So" contains many non-prog efforts, yet is considered prog. Kate sings on Gabriel's "Don't Give Up" on "So". And that is really a gospel/prog thing. So by the prevailing "association" she should be prog.

Gilmour's first two solo records are brilliant, but I don't think they're Prog.

See how pointless this all is? You can spin it however you want.

Anyway, her records from Never For Ever to Sensual World are VERY much in the prevailing prog vein and are rightly on the Moon. They are absolutely brilliant efforts. So is Aerial (on the Moon). I'm not sure why Kick Inside is not. Could be not selected by Jim (it's not as prog as the others more just her and the piano a lot) )or maybe he doesn't own it. I have offered to upload it for addition, but I'm not making any decisons on moon inclusion (it's not my job, and I would not want the job if asked lol). I also have Lionheart. i did a show on Kate, and vaguely remember a discussion about her early music on the Moon. Hopefully Jim can refresh my memory.

Not railing on you at all PFD....it's a good question
Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 AM

Hey Rick....points taken.

I'm not disputing whether she belongs on the moon or not. My point is that I was trying to figure out why "We", that is lovers of all that is prog, feel a close connection to the music of Kate Bush which I don't think, IMO, falls into the rather large definition of prog.

I'm certainly not trying to get a prog debate again. I was just mentioning that I always felt the prog connectiion to Kate rather strange. Kate is well-loved by a lot of women, for instance, who would not give a rat's ass for Yes, Floyd or um..GYBE..
Old 06-25-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFD View Post
Kate is well-loved by a lot of women, for instance, who would not give a rat's ass for Yes, Floyd or um..GYBE..

I love the term rat's ass. I heard a woman say "fat rat's crack" once...
Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM

I've got something to say on this as a prog and Kate lover.

If you listen and get "taken away" to somewhere else be it for 3 minutes or 20 that's is what appeals to me. To me good music is where I "listen" but then "see".

The Hounds of Love album is not only great tunes and a great trip but should go down in history in its use of the Fairlight Sampler - also favoured at the time by Gabriel.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Owner/Program Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Roll View Post
I have this. Jim, would you want me to upload it?

Rick
why don't you upload it and I'll give it a listen. Haven't heard it in years (and I don't own it)

thx
Old 07-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdirjim View Post
why don't you upload it and I'll give it a listen. Haven't heard it in years (and I don't own it)

thx
Sounds good....and there's a few more things in there for you.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:39 AM

Thank you, Rick! Thank you, Jim!
Old 08-09-2007, 03:25 PM

Is it something to do with artistic integrity? Kate was never -to my mind a self publicist or simply in it to get a hit record. So much of music today is a result of 'Music Industry' rather than music.

To my mind Prog. Rock artists have that artisitc focus which results in music which is instantly recognisable, unique and bucks the trend of the traditional 3 minute pop song either in the music or in the concept.

That's not to say that such artists don't dabble in the 'pop' genre once in a while, but even there they tend to expereiment with sound or format in a way that makes them different and therefore interesting. I'll never forget the first time I heard 'Running up that Hill' on the radio - I quite simply had never heard anything like it before even though it was in the charts at the time.

Prog. artists tend to write music which makes sense musically and does not adhere to traditional formats - hence albums which have tracks ranging from 3 minutes to 30 minutes in some cases (Mike Oldfield being a good example here). It is the music which is at the heart of their work and if people like it then great and if not ....so be it.

Thank goodness there are still plenty of musicians out there who have their integrity intact!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: