Go Back   Aural Moon - Progressive Rock Discussion > Prog Rock Discussion > Music Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2001, 05:31 PM

Question Just curious - is AM a source for faves or for finding new music

In light of recent discussions about overplaying Genesis & Yes, I started wondering if I am in the minority in my reasons for listening to AM. Don't get me wrong, I love Genesis and Yes, but my biggest reason for listening to AM is to discover new music, or good music that is new to me. Frankly, when I tune in and some 30 minute epic that I have heard hundreds of times comes on, I will switch to some other prog station for a while in the hopes of finding something different.

How about you?

J.
Old 08-23-2001, 06:38 PM
Owner Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to Avian Send a message via AIM to Avian Send a message via Yahoo to Avian
While Yes and Genesis (and lately Transatlantic) have been overrequested, I get a LOT of mail saying how great it is to hear some old Yes and Genesis stuff. Some folks are discovering Supper's Ready, Gates of Delerium, Firth of Fifth, Sound Chaser, and others for the very first time. One man's old hat is another's amazing discovery.

Now that being said, we've made a concerted effort to play a lot of different stuff lately and to edit requests. Throughout the past week, you should have noticed more different artists playing throughout the day, and less of the mainstream "prog" coming through.

Maybe we should have a regular show devoted to rare stuff almost no one has heard. But we're trying to avoid being "too hip for the room".

Anyone interested in DJing a show like that?
Avian
Old 08-25-2001, 01:56 AM
Owner/Program Director

Hey, I'm hip enough to DJ that show...

Seriously, though, I'm curious to see responses to this - when I first discovered AM and volunteered to be Program Director, what I liked most about AM was hearing new (or at least more obscure) stuff. I own every Yes, Genesis, and ELP album, and I'd rather hear them over my stereo than over my computer. When I'm at work and don't have access to my stereo, I prefer to hear newer and rarer music. That's the direction we're trying to take AM in - the faves will always be there, but we hope you find us to be a resource to find new faves. We hope to expand your prog horizons a bit, and challenge your sense of what prog is. Hopefully successfully, but even if a few selections go wrong or don't appeal, at least we're not totally predictable.

What do you think?
Old 08-26-2001, 04:17 AM
Owner/Program Director

So where in Yorkshire are you from?

I love York town - and being from New York, I'm flattered to think my hometown was named after York. Beautiful area, friendly people, and great beer. That's what I remember from Yorkshire anyway...
Old 08-27-2001, 07:08 AM

A source for listening pleasure

I listen to AM to hear new stuff I didn't know existed, and to hear well-loved favorites I never get enough of (like Rennaissance).
Old 08-27-2001, 01:25 PM

Well, I started listening to Aural Moon simply because it listed Genesis as one of the bands that they played. Listing Kansas and Yes gave me the idea that this station would have music that I would like to listen to. Progressive rock has many different styles, some hard, some strange, and some that is light and "airy" (or mystical).

This station carries music that is quite similar to the bands that I've listed above. So not only did I want to hear my favs (Genesis), but I also wanted to hear songs that similar to their style. I can see the argument for not hearing your fav's all the time, but for me, bringing in my entire tape collection to work is not practical.

I do have to compliment AM with their work. They have built a fabulous station. There will be an occasional group that I wouldn't care to listen to, but usually I tough it out hoping that something better comes along the way.

I guess to answer your question, I like to listen to my fav's and new music. That is the appeal of this station. I'm interpretting your comments to be that Yes and Genesis are over-requested/over-played. Well, this can be easily fixed. One of two things could happen (or both):

a) Request songs/groups that you've never heard of (this happens a lot). I've done this a few times, and have been pleased with some of my selections. Although, most of the time I forget what I've requested.

b) The station could disallow requests for an amount of time. The random song generator would be able to select songs without people's input. This could be done for a few hours each day, or for a few hours on select days.

Either way, I'm happy. In fact, I'm happy with the way things are now. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-06-2001, 02:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to Earl Grey
Well...well...well...

...I started listening to "AM" after noting the post on, (was it ?)"Notes From The Edge"...Or "Yesworld"...& no, I'm NOT the "frequent YES-Flyer" of some deleterious note: I OWN the CD's, thank you ( Although I have been known to request 'FOCUS' semi- frequently: don't have all the CD's)!
My favorite Internet-Station, Aural Moon! Way Ta Go!

Oh, as to 'Faves'. Sometimes one can't help but play a version of "Close to the Edge" that we haven't heard (Enjoyed the LIVE one from '77! Thanx.).
Sometimes my 'Faves' are something that YOU, perhaps, haven't heard: 'Dixie Dreggs': saw them at the 'ROXY' back in '75(... Wonder if anyone else has heard this great band!').
Hopefully, "AM" will continue to be open minded & have some patience toward those who 'just don't get it' (in other words, don't let a couple of cretins erase some of the obvious progressive 'classics' from your playlist.
Sometimes you NEED to hear 'Roundabout'. It does happen).
Hope you catch my drift here...
Thanx, "E"

Last edited by Earl Grey : 09-06-2001 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-06-2001, 05:50 PM

ah...... Steve Morse & Co.......

The Dregs....
75'....
Roxy....

Now that's hardcore dude. Best I can say for myself is that I was fortunate enough to see a re-grouping of them in the mid-late 80's or so in a small club venue down here in Dago'.

~(=?p}
S.o.N.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:04 PM
Owner/Program Director

Dregs in diego

S.O.N. - New Year's eve, at a place called Monk's perhaps? My brother and I were at that show and it rocked! I've also seen Steve Morse solo, including about two feet from the stage at the old Bacchanal. IMO, any version of the Dregs is good...

Old 09-06-2001, 11:41 PM

Ahhhh.... the BACHANNAL.......

Yup Jim, twas the Bacchanal where I was referring to - INCLUDING seeing the Steve Morse band there. Looks like you and I were in that same small room that eve. I can't recall just how many shows where I'd sat right up front. Seems like you got in front of me however for that Steve Morse show.

Take care there bud.....

~(=?p}
S.o.N.
Old 09-07-2001, 11:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ThomasJedenfelt
I found out about Aural Moon at http://live365.com/

I started listening to AM because of the declaration on the home page.

I continue to listen
- to hear my favourites (for example Rush, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull)
- to discover bands that sounds (to me) similar to my favourite bands
- to discover bands that don't sounds like my favourite bands

I'm greatful that AM provides this service.
Thanks guys!

As for overplayed tracks
I think from time to time certain tracks will be played more than others. This will probably change as the 'requesters' may discover other tracks/bands.

It would be up to the good AM guys to decide how much listeners should influence the playlist. If the listeners should have much influence, then a poll, every now and then, on what tracks should be added or removed would be a fair solution.

With reference to earlier discussions
I didn't hear 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' until 20 years after I begun listening to Genesis. And 'Close to the Edge' (Yes) about 10 years.

I don't think I have requested these on AM;-)
But I have requested King Crimson a few times, and others.

Thomas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: